Author Topic: Deleting Posts  (Read 1328 times)

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
Deleting Posts
« on: July 19, 2006, 10:38:36 pm »
My request is simple: please make it so that people can't delete their posts after a reply has already been made by someone else.  You can see people all over the forums do it, and it's getting a tad annoying.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like looking like a jackass responding to a post that isn't there simply because someone decided to delete their response and I don't like reading through threads while wondering why people seem to be responding to questions that were never asked.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Denacke

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • Cake!
Re: Deleting Posts
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 03:54:55 am »
Aye I agree, for now the best solution is to use quotes as much as possible.

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 04:17:17 am »
I think it should be possible to delete after someone replies, but have a message there saying, "person has deleted their post" if they delete it after someone has replied.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 04:38:27 am »
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like looking like a jackass responding to a post that isn't there simply because someone decided to delete their response and I don't like reading through threads while wondering why people seem to be responding to questions that were never asked.

Does post deletion remove any part of the original being quoted by the follow-up? If not, then there shouldn't be any confusion. I still agree with the idea, of course.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 06:34:06 am »

Does post deletion remove any part of the original being quoted by the follow-up? If not, then there shouldn't be any confusion. I still agree with the idea, of course.

no it does not

--
I made it so that people can't delete their own threads, but I don't want to disable peoples' ability to delete their posts (it is all or nothing, I don't have an option "if someone replied then...").  If you're responding to a post by someone who you think is likely to delete their post, then quote it in your reply (unless their post has stuff in it that breaks the forum rules, then you're just making more work for the admins/moderators)

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 02:48:56 pm »
All or nothing, eh?  I figured it would be that way.  Thanks anyway...

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 03:04:06 pm »
You can't code it to follow Vij's idea manually?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 04:03:54 pm »
You can't code it to follow Vij's idea manually?

I have more important things to be working on.  If you read my first post, I kinda explain how this isn't necessary.