Author Topic: Tactical Trenchwar!  (Read 31251 times)

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
  • Can't be arsed to remove christmas avatar
Re: Tactical Trenchwar!
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 09:02:57 am »
The reason we kill people when changing ranks is because we want the switch to be instantaneous (to keep it fast paced). Changing it in the field is a bad idea since this would enable the spy to replenish his stealth packs on the front line.

At the start of a map there are some glitches yes, this is because everybody is assigned a random task onmapchange. Sometimes the actual task switch lags and comes after the point where you actually selected a new task thereby forcing the switch.

The problem with the primary weapon not being present is actually a problem that seems to occur only in a few classes, and I'm not 100% sure why yet but I am looking into it. I think it has something to do with selecting a weapon that is set to inactive shortly after selection, which could be a result from a lag with disabling the weapon. I'm looking into this though.

As for the capping, I fully agree. On some maps it's not so bad, but especially maps where you can get your spawn point extremely close to the flag are a bit of an issue. Maybe another scoring method could be bunker domination or some sort of infiltration task. Also, I think scripting gives us the ability to set the flagspawn point yes, since it is a spawnpoint.
#soldat.ttw #ttw.gather --- Quakenet!
http://ttwforums.com

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 10:22:57 am »
ok, well, think about the flag thing then..

the classes that in know are wrong: general, artillery (the weapon thing)

and about the assigning of classes: i dont mean u can change class during battle, but you should just keep the class you are on now (no changes), and when you respawn (after u died... doh) u get the new class. this is better than having 3 deaths at the start just because you changed class..

what about auto-conquer? i know this is possible: curt is working on a very similar script where he also 'conquers' bunkers, but then automaticly. and the territorial takeover script works pretty much automatic and the same way..

also maybe the predator mode should go off when a spy caps the flag.. ^^
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 10:28:34 am by BombSki »

Offline Duck Boi

• Soldier
  • ('')('_')('')
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 10:42:42 am »
This is a must play if you like TW.
But I think it needs bigger maps.
And there is alot of random spawning.
And I think some classes have a large disadvantage to others.
It's a good script, just needs some polishing and more testing.

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 10:52:09 am »
@ Bombski
Well, we are going to try and do a custom endgame screen since we count the real deaths manually. Taking out the instant killing would take out the speed I think and most people would still do /kill anyways. If you prefer not having the death counted you could of course always choose the skill while you are waiting to be respawned. Also, we hope that someday there will be a setplayerdeaths function, since this would solve all our problems in a much more elegant way.

I like the conquer system the way it is now. First of all, this causes significantly less CPU usage than autoconquer, since for autoconquer you'd constantly have to be checking in AppOnIdle. Now it's a simple OnCommand. Secondly it has to be hard to conquer a base. We think it is more rewarding when you pull it off now.

And afaik it's not possible to turn predator mode off.

Thnx for the suggestions tho'.

@Duck Boi
Thnx, yes it needs some more polish indeed and definately some bigger maps (mappers, we'd love to hear your suggestions!!). As for the spawning, the script sets the active and inactive spawnpoints correctly (we checked this on the console log several times), so that's likely due to some strange bug. We are still running in full debug whenever the server is not experiencing high pings so when it happens, please say something with SPAWN ERROR ingame or something so we can actually see the points where it fecks up.

Some classes do have disadvantages in terms of strength, but some of them were on purpose. It's not about the k/d ratio or individual score anymore. We are still trying hard to come up with a fair scoring system for this but due to some heavy workload at uni for me, it might take a while.

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 11:01:20 am »
well, ur reasons are reasonable ^^

if you want longer and more fast phased maps u could use some old map, especially which have (a bit) jet. like moats, chemical, marsh... those maps are just totally awesome and they own the modern tw maps (always without jet) by far. but thats just my opinion.

Offline Sunshine

• Major(1)
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 02:27:42 pm »
this server owns

Offline Dizzy So 1337

• Soldier
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 11:13:57 pm »
This server does own.

I had checked it out a bit before and was a little bit meh on it, but tonight a bunch of my Vent homies got online together and it was ROCKIN SOLID with all of us shouting and yelling about 'whose the General?!'  'We need to move that Stat up, Engineer!'  'Incoming Spy, oh shit I think he passed us!' and just generally tons of soldat fun.

Some notes, take them or leave them:

1 - some of my clan homies cannot handle the lag between North America and Finland, these unfortunates are currently being left out of the fun.  If and when you find a person that you find trustable to host a Western Hemisphere TTW server, it will be good news for a lot of people.

2 - the Mortar (M79) exit velocity is so high as to make it nearly useless.  What, am I trying to hit people in the next server over?  I 100% applaud the limitations that you have given the M79 (ie ammo, reload, class restrictions) but honestly, I think that you should let an M79 be an M79.  Its already a mortar weapon, when used properly.  Give us back the basic properties of the M79 round, ie the exit velocity and arc, but KEEP the restrictions you have given it (ie 1 M79 per team and the limited ammo and reload).

3 - FLAMER, FLAMER, FLAMER.... aight so we all know that 1.4.2 lags like a brokedickdog when someone is on fire.  But it wasnt' like that in the previous version, there's still a possibility that it won't be in the next!!!  Please, in your future plans for TTW, reserve a space for the flamer.

4 - Once we had a serious TTW team goin, it seemed that the biggest prob for us was knowing what someone had switched to.  I mean, I know we can all do /list at any time, and it shows what vacancies are suddenly available, but... it would be AWFULLY nice if when someone on my team EXITS general, that we all know what job they have taken on.

Keep up the good work, never mind me im just trying to help and contribute some good criticism, the shit ROCKS overall.
xfire - todhostetler
"There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone except to stick a dogskull on a stake."

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 05:44:17 am »
Thnx for those sweet words all ;)

Dizzy!

1. I know. Im hosting this server from my own home so the ping is for european players < 100 and @ night when im playing for everyone > 100.
Can't do much about that unless im going to rent some big server somewhere down the USA!
Might do tho, i don't know yet...

2. Will think of this with sai`ke. We had plans to change it anyways so i'll will talk with him about this. The original m79 is good aswell. Maybe a bit  more velocity then and a big big recoil so ppl cannot jump and shoot!

3. YES! 100% support from my side. Would be such a great way to clear out enemy bunkers!
Crazy germans!

´ Flame-throwers were first used at the Western Front in October 1914. Operated by two men, they were mainly used to clear enemy soldiers from front-line trenches. At first they had a range of 25 metres but later this was increased to 40 metres. This meant they were only effective over narrow areas of No Man's Land. Another problem was that the flame-thrower was difficult to move around and only contained enough oil to burn 40 seconds at the time. Soldiers who operated flame-throwers had a short-life span because as soon as they used them they were the target of rifle and machine-gun fire. ´

4. Hhm we get a message if a task comes available already. Might need some polishing with those messages..

Thnx Spkka

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 07:05:05 pm »
1. What spkka said.
2. About the m79, yes I agree, we went way over the top nerfing it. We shall look into this tonight.
3. Yea, if the lag issues are resolved this will definately be in there.
4. And yes, maybe we shall change the message to "lala has changed from General to Spy" for instance. It sounds like a good idea. Then you'd continuously know what you have on your team.

Thanks for the suggestions... Tonight we will be working on this stuff again so some of the improvements should be playable tomorrow if all goes well.

Date Posted: October 19, 2007, 06:57:06 am
New version uploaded, changelog:

General can now also choose desert eagle and knife.
Radioman has a field battery. Can be used to tap into enemy teamspeak for 20 seconds and recharges in 180 seconds (independent of dying).
Medic autoheals faster.
M79 modded for more mortarlike dynamics.

Enjoy!

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 09:24:31 pm »
Radioman has a field battery. Can be used to tap into enemy teamspeak for 20 seconds and recharges in 180 seconds (independent of dying).
So the whole team can hear it or only the radioman?
does the enemy team know?

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 09:30:56 pm »
Only the radioman hears it, so he will have to communicate to get the message across and the enemy doesn't know to add to the suspense!

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2007, 08:25:22 am »
well tbh i dont think that feature will be used very much.. most 'teams' dont have much more than 'incoming' or stuff like that
any progress is good tho ;]

Offline Arbiter

• Camper
  • You shot me, fool!
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2007, 10:50:31 am »
As in the game eariler, put as an suggestion for the stupid minigun.

/ArtBarCan (Artillery Barrage Cannon) [lol abc..]

Speed= much more than M79's artillery,
Damage=[huge amount]
FireInterval=1 of course
Startuptime= 30 or so
Bink=-5 to give it a little spread
MovementAcc= Enormous amount to make sure that they squat to fire
Ammo= 15 shells
Reload= 600? Depends. Most soldiers/artillery are fast reloading.
Recoil= None. It's a cannon anyway. So it's planted to the ground.

"Why beat kids when you can beat women?" - Espadon
"markin marknousky wont kno what hit him!" - Some loser.
[/i]

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2007, 12:58:40 pm »
well tbh i dont think that feature will be used very much.. most 'teams' dont have much more than 'incoming' or stuff like that

haha most ppl seem to like it ;) Sometimes you DO pick up usefull information about teams strategy!

As in the game eariler, put as an suggestion for the stupid minigun.

/ArtBarCan (Artillery Barrage Cannon) [lol abc..]

Speed= much more than M79's artillery,
Damage=[huge amount]
FireInterval=1 of course
Startuptime= 30 or so
Bink=-5 to give it a little spread
MovementAcc= Enormous amount to make sure that they squat to fire
Ammo= 15 shells
Reload= 600? Depends. Most soldiers/artillery are fast reloading.
Recoil= None. It's a cannon anyway. So it's planted to the ground.

don't think were adding something like this to be honest. We got enough firepower  already.
Might use it for something else tho. We're not sure...

Offline Dizzy So 1337

• Soldier
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 02:48:15 pm »

haha most ppl seem to like it ;) Sometimes you DO pick up usefull information about teams strategy!

I do LOVE the idea but I'm kinda with Bombski.  Eh, it's a little early to make suggestions on this feature but what about... if you could use it any time and it had limited duration BUT the radioman has to remain motionless and not firing a weapon to 'hear' the enemy.  If he moves at all, he will need to perform the command again.  The tradeoff is, that your team is pretty much short 1 guy while listening.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 02:51:21 pm by Dizzy So 1337 »
xfire - todhostetler
"There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone except to stick a dogskull on a stake."

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2007, 04:14:41 pm »
Here are the changed maps btw. Reduces download time ;)
Check the attachment!

Offline Dizzy So 1337

• Soldier
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2007, 01:12:25 am »
I've only played TTW a couple of nights and already I have a ton of notes re: how far down the rabbit hole the Teamwork aspect of TTW goes!

http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=21431.msg248243#msg248243

It's a ton of stuff and it really only probably scratches the surface.  Anyways, if you're gonna play TTW on my team, expect me to yell at you if you don't understand these basic principles of how to WIN at TTW!!!

Or eh, hey, you could just jump in and take your chances....
xfire - todhostetler

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2007, 01:38:52 am »
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it is a windows server.
Indeed it does. For some reason, files being downloaded from a soldat server on Windows makes it throw up a heap of errors. It ends up with the server not having a map loaded and everything spawning in the centre.

If you get a proper server (which will most likely be Linux), this problem will go away.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Arbiter

• Camper
  • You shot me, fool!
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2007, 04:03:48 am »
For some reason, something tells me that the General should only have a socom, nothing else.

"Why beat kids when you can beat women?" - Espadon
"markin marknousky wont kno what hit him!" - Some loser.
[/i]

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2007, 07:13:52 am »
I've only played TTW a couple of nights and already I have a ton of notes re: how far down the rabbit hole the Teamwork aspect of TTW goes!

http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=21431.msg248243#msg248243

It's a ton of stuff and it really only probably scratches the surface. Anyways, if you're gonna play TTW on my team, expect me to yell at you if you don't understand these basic principles of how to WIN at TTW!!!

Or eh, hey, you could just jump in and take your chances....

wikked work thanks a lot! <3
Strategy is where its all about! Personally i love listening others team's radio aswell. *''lets take the mid bunker''* , *''roger that, where is our sniper?''* *''we don't have a general!!!''*
Love the general yelling in a team aswell. Bitching about his team like Crimson! 'Move your ass soldier!!!!' 'omfg don't sit here GO!'
haha big  ups for all of you supporting this script!
thnx a lot again!

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it is a windows server.
Indeed it does. For some reason, files being downloaded from a soldat server on Windows makes it throw up a heap of errors. It ends up with the server not having a map loaded and everything spawning in the centre.

If you get a proper server (which will most likely be Linux), this problem will go away.

Yes most likely the next one will be on linux! I've the server on linux but my little bro destroyed the server when the server's hd broke down!
I might rent one. But still kinda expensive in 1 year. Not that i don't have the money but still.. We already put a lot of effort in this script. We shall see!

For some reason, something tells me that the General should only have a socom, nothing else.

Will discuss this with sai`ke. Personally i don't think thats a good idea. Its already hard to conquer a bunker with the general.  Giving him a usscom only would make it even more hard!
We will look into the stats of players/maps to see where the game gets unbalanced.

Thnx Spkka