Author Topic: StreamMyGame  (Read 1102 times)

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
StreamMyGame
« on: October 27, 2007, 06:06:33 pm »
A Website claims to be able to make PC games playable on PS3.

I can't test, because I don't have a PS3. If anyone does, could you verify it?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a78532/...-run-on-it.html
(Article)

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
Re: StreamMyGame
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 06:42:15 pm »
Thats bullcrap.

Sure, the PS3 is pretty much a computer, but it doesn't have a computer-like format. A PC's format is different from a PS3's format. A PC game comes in a exe format and is bootable. So when you put your disk in, it automactically starts up. The PS3 can't verify the .exe so it won't work. Its just how things are built. It's been in a article many times. "PS3 is a cheap knock-off of a computer". Bleh..
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline Scorpian

• Camper
  • Republican
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 06:45:02 pm »
Thats bullcrap.

Sure, the PS3 is pretty much a computer, but it doesn't have a computer-like format. A PC's format is different from a PS3's format. A PC game comes in a exe format and is bootable. So when you put your disk in, it automactically starts up. The PS3 can't verify the .exe so it won't work. Its just how things are built. It's been in a article many times. "PS3 is a cheap knock-off of a computer". Bleh..

You didn't even read the article, did you?

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 06:51:33 pm »
Thats bullcrap.

I did, belive me... I did.
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

El_Spec

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 06:59:15 pm »
A gaming system and a PC have the same configurations but they just read different files.  There is a way already to make games run on consoles. 

My friend's dad did this once.  He made Quake II run on an XBox by changing its format to an extention that the XBox can read.  Burned a copy of it on a disk and plays it from there.  He can simply do it with the PS3, but just needs to know what extention it reads and the program to do it.

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 07:01:42 pm »
That's because Quake II is open source, and the Xbox used a Pentium III anyway. He probably just put in a modchip. He's bullshitting you with the PS3 though, unless he compiles it. Even then it wouldn't take advantage of Cell properly.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 07:02:50 pm »
Instead of saying, "no, there's no way..." why don't you try it? Maybe they found a way that you haven't thought of.

El_Spec

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 07:10:03 pm »
That's because Quake II is open source, and the Xbox used a Pentium III anyway. He probably just put in a modchip. He's bullfeckting you with the PS3 though, unless he compiles it. Even then it wouldn't take advantage of Cell properly.

He didn't use a modchip.  He used some special program that changed it format and he could customize it to work properly on an XBox.  I'm not sure what'd he do with the PS3.  He'll find a way, he knows his stuff.

Offline Scorpian

• Camper
  • Republican
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 07:21:18 pm »
Thats bullcrap.

I did, belive me... I did.

So tell me where it says reading exe's and putting in disks.

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 07:43:21 pm »
I'm not sure what'd he do with the PS3.  He'll find a way, he knows his stuff.
He wouldn't simply rename the file to make it work on a PS3. He would have to recompile it, because the PS3 has a completely different hardware architecture and completely different software interfaces to a standard PC. And if he did recompile it, then not every game would work with the PS3; only those which he has the source to.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 08:20:45 pm »
The thing is, with this site, it doesn't make the console ABLE to play the game, it uses the computer's hardware, but the console's output.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 08:42:51 pm »
Who would bother?

PS3 is rubbish.

How about.. try and make PS3 games work on PC. Now that'd be worth it.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20