Author Topic: A centered TW-style map  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Aarni Valkea

• Soldier
  • R-tisht
A centered TW-style map
« on: October 29, 2007, 04:04:18 pm »
First of all, I am unable to create a map of any good scale (yet, hopefully). I tried some mapmakers and they just don't feel fitting for me, though I am a mapmaker crazy in almost any other game with that possibility. Well the point: Could someone make / give ideas to improve / recommend someone to make this map idea:

It is very long and mostly flat, like a basic trenchwar map. The center area of the map (about 30%-center-30%) would be a lot more complex. There would be some ruined buildings, many floors, some tunnels and stuff like that (CS map style, maybe). The catch is that the alpha team would start from the middle, scattered and the blue team starts organised from both sides. The map should be long enough for both teams to make a plan, buy weapons and organise a small strategy or sumfing.

For those who are interested more, In-depth:
The map would be for my mod (*AD* http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=21279.0 *AD*) which is rather limited, and needs a suitable map. I'd like the detail level to be as high as the CS and TW maps (selfish, I know). Chronological location would be near the 2050's but in an older, ruined city. There would be no bots, so waypoints are not an issue. More information available if people are interested. I might even draw a sketch if the very-soon-to-step-forward mapmaker wants it.

This topic is mainly for the mapmakers who are extremely bored at the moment and need a difficult idea to create... sigh.

Eh, Cheers :D
Where life has no value, death has a price!

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
Re: A centered TW-style map
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 03:07:18 am »
I was thinking in something like this, i can do this but now i got many projects to do, they are still [WIP] and i want end them.

Maybe when I finish them i would be interested on this, but i believe that a city themed map shouldn't be, you should do like a forest, beach or desert map.

Offline Aarni Valkea

• Soldier
  • R-tisht
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 09:08:51 am »
Thank you

Well, the surrounding landscape can be changed, but the center should be the exact counterweight for open ground. I was thinking a ruined building or two could make this happen, but the artist decides.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 09:58:57 am »
Well, this would be the very first structure of the map, it would be made for a specific server with a script, which makes the team start in the conquered bunker, it's named Tactical Trenchwar and spkka host it.

I'm not an artist, so.... well....  ;D

Offline Aarni Valkea

• Soldier
  • R-tisht
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 10:48:52 am »
That isn't exactly what I had in mind, but it would fit. Perhaps I will post my own version soon, it might even give your server an idea. The idea was not to make a trenchwar map, the alpha's main job is to survive and bravo's to attack. Actually, it'll be good if the bunkers are moved closer to the center and the alpha's ones would be "blended" into the ruins (as in not separate bunker structures).

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 10:55:44 am »
So there would be ruins everywhere, no? Near the biggest bunker, the bravo's central bunker there should be ruins to cover?

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 09:19:37 pm »
Aarni Valkea, I would like to see your map. I don't believe the them should be desert, jungle, or island, but whatever you decide. We have too many forest themed maps. And with an, I think it would be odd to capture the feeling of being ruined...etc. And a desert...well that's up to you. I could picture something like a "shelled out" area. A land under a lot of military stress, but not necessarely all burnt up and decimated. You get my drift? An area kinda beat up and worn with a worn city/outpost in it. That's what I see when I think of it.

Well, I guess what I would want to see if what you had in mind, without any of our input. What your original and unpoluted idea was. Then we could go on from there.

Offline Aarni Valkea

• Soldier
  • R-tisht
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 11:16:34 am »
Well, I got the basic idea sketched. I ran out of paper, so I had to mark some areas with "<--->" signs meaning that they are larger on the scale. I apologize for the crudeness, I had some problems with our scanner (for about 40mins).

Just ignore the details, I got bored. Maths class...

PS: I really apologize the images, they look much better on my sketch book ;) Well, you get the basic idea and theme from them. They more like give an example, not much more.

EDIT: Forgot to add: The bravo teams starting points are at the helicopter and the boat (the ends). Alpha starts somewhere in the city.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 03:24:53 pm by Aarni Valkea »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 07:11:03 pm »
Hmm...mkay. This looks pretty good but you want it bigger, eh? I need some graph paper...I'd sketch what you have out, then go on from there. I had on my little background sketch really small hills now that I think about it. Alright, well I'll get to work on it then I guess. Once again, I don't promise anything, but I'll give it my best. I'm generally not too good with inner buildings and proportions, so bare with me on that. I should be good...but I don't usually do sketches for maps, and doing sketches would help a lot.

Yeah, got on a bit of a rabbit trail, but I'll give this a shot. I have a good idea for how to do the backgrounds. As for the actual map, I'll base most of it on what you've drawn. I'll expand it of course, but the main idea will be from the sketch. If only I was better at creating scenery...that's what could make this map pretty unique, having a chrashed plane in the side of that hill and debri etc.

Update:

K, well it took me an hour to get together a texture. But the texture is rather too bright and happy... Argh, I'm going to multitexture this thing. Well, here is my gradually put together texture if you want to view it.

If anyone is tempted to use it well, give me credit. But rather I'd not have anyone use it unless they request thus by pming me. Of course, people can take it...can really stop you from doing that *shrug.* Whatever. I probably won't use this exact texture, but something similar.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 09:21:16 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Aarni Valkea

• Soldier
  • R-tisht
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 09:00:50 am »
Peachy.

I also think that texture looks nice but a bit too "light and happy" for a derelict city map. Couldn't it be darkened through photoshop or something? Oh, and about the scenery: I don't suppose they can be drawn pixel by pixel :S Either way, I could create some small objects and such.

If you want to, I can plan the city center (if it causes problems or takes time etc).

Thank you in advance, even if the map will never be completed.

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
  • Can't be arsed to remove christmas avatar
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 09:34:21 am »
just a test
#soldat.ttw #ttw.gather --- Quakenet!
http://ttwforums.com

Offline Aarni Valkea

• Soldier
  • R-tisht
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 10:05:14 am »
I like it, but Blacksheepboy decides ;)

Offline KamikazeDuck

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 05:41:44 pm »
Maybe you should saturate the colours of the texture a bit instead of making them darker.

It'd be easy enough to darken sections when in Polyworks and with a lighter texture you would have more options for colouring.
JUNGLE | ART | PIRATE | RADIATION | DESERT | UFO

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 06:53:45 pm »
You've got a point. I'll attempt to spiffy up the texture :)

Date Posted: November 02, 2007, 04:49:55 pm
Peachy.

I also think that texture looks nice but a bit too "light and happy" for a derelict city map. Couldn't it be darkened through photoshop or something? Oh, and about the scenery: I don't suppose they can be drawn pixel by pixel :S Either way, I could create some small objects and such.

If you want to, I can plan the city center (if it causes problems or takes time etc).

Thank you in advance, even if the map will never be completed.

If you want to plan any more of the map, sure. That we be dandy. I have a mountainous background sort of thing...well, it needs some work, but it's kinda coming along.

Date Posted: November 02, 2007, 05:27:23 pm
Double post (triple post actually...), meh and I could also just PM you but I just wanted to let you know just so your not wondering: I haven't stopped working on this map, but lately I haven't been working on it. Real life has been calling me, so I haven't really done any work. I did experiment with more background stuff, but as the map layout goes, nothing has gotten done. Sorry 'bout this.