Author Topic: Sniper line  (Read 4339 times)

Offline .:mouseykid:.

• Major(1)
  • Grr... music, life, and boring nonsense
Sniper line
« on: November 04, 2007, 11:39:54 am »
Seems how useless the sniper line is maybe (this will only work best on the barrett) the line disappears when it gets cut off by a polygon further back, there for making it easyer for the shooter to kill.

What do you think???

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
Re: Sniper line
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 11:52:36 am »
Good idea. Like it.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 12:15:34 pm »
You mean like the line of sight feature in realisticmode?
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 12:57:56 pm »
What the... what's the point of this suggestion? The rett can't shoot through walls anyway. How is this going to make it more useful? I don't see how it will make it easier to make rett kills.

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 01:00:12 pm »
No he mean that you have a sniper line but it's not visible on polys (it doesn't move throught 'em).

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 01:02:40 pm »
No he mean that you have a sniper line but it's not visible on polys (it doesn't move throught 'em).

Yes, I know. My understanding of that fact is the basis of my entire post. Please read it carefully.

I'll put it a different way.

If you can't shoot through walls (and obviously, you can't), then what difference does it make whether the sniper line goes through polygons or not? You're not going to be trying to shoot at anything past the polygon ANYWAY.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 01:04:50 pm by -Vis- »

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 01:04:44 pm »
Yes, I know. My understanding of that fact is the basis of my entire post. Please read it carefully.

I wanted to inform echo_trail but you posted first.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 01:05:11 pm »
Oh, sorry. :D (You could have read my post before posting, and edited yours to clarify.. I believe that's the point of the warning).

Offline .:mouseykid:.

• Major(1)
  • Grr... music, life, and boring nonsense
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 01:13:10 pm »
its helpfull to the person using the sniper line so he know when he cant hit the person hes trying to kill

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 01:21:52 pm »

I'll put it a different way.

If you can't shoot through walls (and obviously, you can't), then what difference does it make whether the sniper line goes through polygons or not? You're not going to be trying to shoot at anything past the polygon ANYWAY.

its helpfull to the person using the sniper line so he know when he cant hit the person hes trying to kill

Ya, that's the reason. So that the sniper doesn't fire when his bullet path is blocked.

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 01:23:41 pm »
People on normal maps usually know anyway. 99% of the time, it's kinda obvious if you can hit someone or not.

I suppose it could be of some use on some TW maps when the background scenery is so hard to distinguish from colliders. I always blow myself up with LAWs when I don't realise there's a small barrier I can't shoot through. :X

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 01:28:10 pm »
Wait...you need a line to tell you that you can't shoot through a wall?
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 02:25:35 pm »
Sometimes you don't see the screen length directly in front of you when you're scoping.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 02:29:25 pm »
Not a bad idea. Only problem is that the bullet doesn't travel in a stright line as the sniperline does. You could potentially hit polygons stationed closely beneath the sniperline, if you get what I mean..
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 02:32:00 pm »
It's just about as lame as the sniper line itself. You should know if you can hit something or not. And if think you can and you miss, that's your fault. A good sniper is very aware of his surroundings and his capabilities.
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline poopdogg

• Camper
  • Graffiti 4 ever
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 09:53:35 am »
sniper line...is helpful in new players of SOLDAT..
It's just about as lame as the sniper line itself. You should know if you can hit something or not. And if think you can and you miss, that's your fault. A good sniper is very aware of his surroundings and his capabilities.
yah....

(Sorry if I am unintelligent, since the knowledge I have only comes from a school text book...)

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 11:06:52 pm »
I think the big thing for this would be if it cut the line off when it contacted solid polys or colliders. Would save you a few bullets in the long run. Me likey.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 11:08:09 pm »
But good snipers do make mistakes. This would help them not make as many.

F12.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline valion

• Soldier
  • you may run, you may hide. but still he comes
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 04:53:00 am »
I'm going to make myself unpopular here by saying this but what the hell, I'm unpopular anyway.
Using the sniper line is just pointless anyway but by using it your basically shouting "I'm so desperate to hit something, I'm going to use a tool created for noobs and idiots". seriously you don't get a little magic line saying your going to hit someone.
Your signature is too big, please read the rules. Keep it under 4 lines of text.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 12:08:12 pm »
You can't bitch about the sniper line if you're not a sniper. That's like saying that real-life snipers or gunners who use laser dot sights are n00bs. Besides, since when has the bullet followed the line perfectly, and your target stands perfectly still for you? It's an aid, not a lifeline.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.