Author Topic: need help on a ctf map  (Read 2030 times)

Offline 13sawyer

• Major(1)
need help on a ctf map
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:53:45 pm »
hey, so I was making a ctf map(i assume most people here know how to make maps) and i suck at the waypoint stuff, so if anyone wants to make waypoints on my map, email me at 13sawyer@gmail.com and I will send the map to you

thanks

Offline Arbiter

• Camper
  • You shot me, fool!
Re: need help on a ctf map
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:30:22 pm »
1. This should be in the mapping help/waypoint bots forums.

2. You should post an overview/screenshot of the map, and if it's good enough/very good, someone actually might help you. If you're that lucky/good, Keron Cyst might help you.

"Why beat kids when you can beat women?" - Espadon
"markin marknousky wont kno what hit him!" - Some loser.
[/i]

Offline 13sawyer

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:35:36 pm »
well, um idk why i posted it here, but if ya notice that my first post so i havent been here long, and i also don't know how to get a shot of the entire map.

its um we it at the left there is a complex cave thing, where one flag is, and then at the top of it there is a quarter pipe, leading down to a bed and a desk(furniture...i know its odd) and then some random stuff and an overhang facing the left where the other flag is

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:23:14 pm »
To take a screenshot is simple:

In wateva mapping program u r using , zoom out to see whole map  then hit print screen (on your keyboard), Open your favourite image program (Paint is fine), hit ctr-v and save as png or jpg.

If you ask me nicely I might waypoint it for  you, just post it here
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 01:08:33 am »
I feel once again like making maps, that the whole thing has become pointless. I'm sure all of the maps we are making are just repeats of older greater maps. There are so many maps out there that nothing that has been made no-a-days has any originality to it.

I'm probably wrong, but there is my depressing little speal for now.

I could waypoint. Depends on how decent the map is ;). I just recently figured out how to force bots to backflip, and without using any sort of example. Probably nothing new :(. It isn't useful to me whatsoever either...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 01:12:49 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline 13sawyer

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 02:04:08 pm »
sorry, i couldnt figure out how the zoom thing worked
i attached it

Date Posted: November 09, 2007, 02:00:07 pm
some stuff that you cant see on it, the big slope on the lower right is ice, and the multi colored thing at the top left is a healing place, since I didnt want to have any medkits, the multi colored thing on the lower left only colliders with people. team 1 is in the caves and team to is in the little cave on the right.. under the largish triangle on the right, the little thing supporting it can be walked through

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 09:47:21 pm »
Hmm, well this map has a lot of dead ends. Dead ends generally kill fighting in those areas. Also, interesting polygon layout, but it lacks a sense of solidness to the walls. It seems that you have mainly just set up some triagles here and there. Though, this is not altogether bad. You can't judge a map just because of it's looks or what it looks like. I will play and waypoint this map if I can, and I will use my new tecnique in it as well (making bots backflip).

One thing that you ought to keep in mind though. When you map, you should pretend that there is a sun somewhere off into the distance, and you want to shade everything according to the sun, or lights that you have in your map. Capeesh? Well in general. Your map needs more shading and coloring to help make it feel less 2D. While I waypoint, I will also add some scenery and shading to help give you an example. Also, you generally want more scenery in a map. Usually, you'll want to follow a theme for the scenery as well. One of the easier themes to do is a jungle theme.

One question: Are you lacking in scenery at all? I might create a basic scenery "essentials" pack for new mappers. Good luck!

Edit:

Some changes that should be made:

Also, just attach your map you a PM and send it ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:56:00 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline 13sawyer

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 06:10:37 am »
 http://files.filefront.com/ctf+minesPMS/;9008540;/fileinfo.html i also attached it but not sure it will work.

Date Posted: November 10, 2007, 06:08:35 am
....so it did work...
i did actually try the shading , but it turned out very very ugly(in a rather ugly fashion).

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 03:19:41 am »
Hey,

I've waypointed the map and perfercted about 95% of the waypointing mishaps. I've also done a brief shading and editing job as well. I added/changed a few routes and done a bit of fixing up. I kinda like how the gameplay is, but it's very apt to spraying. It's a good long range training map. I also added and changed spawnpoints and flag positions to suit the map better. There are still a few waypointing issues, but not too big a deal.

I would post a preview of all I've changed...but that would take me a while ;). You'll see.

Below is a new screenshot and download for you to re-release and edit if you so desire:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 03:21:24 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 04:17:14 am »
I feel once again like making maps, that the whole thing has become pointless. I'm sure all of the maps we are making are just repeats of older greater maps. There are so many maps out there that nothing that has been made no-a-days has any originality to it.

It's the major problem nowadays, I agree. But I think there are still uncovered new great map ideas which aren't used yet. I think mappers should give up with basic map method where mapper make a box for whole playground and then start adding polys randomly. I've three hints which brings uniqueness into maps.

1. Flag throw: It’s a new option to soldat which isn’t really used in default maps, because the flag throw is a new option to soldat ( I don’t remember which was the first version using it). Most default maps are built before the flag throw was there, so they couldn’t consider that.
2. Placing flag and player spawns entirely different places. Most maps are built by way that player spawn and flag spawn are next to each other. I think there’s potential thinking about that also.
3. Using “only player collides” polys, well it isn’t a new thing. There have been bridges in soldat since b2b and voland. But I think mappers should use more that option too. BUT DON’T USE “ONLY BULLETS COLLIDE” POLYS, of course there are exceptions like dropdown2 where they are necessary but please try to avoid it.

Offline 13sawyer

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 08:24:36 am »
wow, you did an amazing job on that, i just played it for the last hour or so
you can announce it, or publish it or what ever if you would like to

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 05:19:34 pm »
wow, you did an amazing job on that, i just played it for the last hour or so
you can announce it, or publish it or what ever if you would like to

Thanks ;D. I'm rather proud of how it was waypointed.

No, I shant release it as my own. It's your to do with as you like. If you haven't released in a couple of days, maybe I will, and you shall be credited for the map layout.

Offline 13sawyer

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 05:25:37 pm »
ok, now....
to release the beast!