Poll

Do weapon need a general boost?

Yes, by boosting all weapon
Yes, by making Headshots worth more
No, the balance is good
Ehm....I dunno.... look, Im just here to tell everyone that I'm gay and I love the taste of c#m a lot...
Yes, by making a hybrid of the 2, heads and general boost

Author Topic: somewhat underpowered?  (Read 20386 times)

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
somewhat underpowered?
« on: November 12, 2007, 04:32:48 pm »
After tons of clanwars and CTF games, I came to a conclusion that the weapons are somewhat underpowered.
I can't really phrase it so picture this.

an alpha guy running to bravo base, taking the high route in ctf_run (?).
Lets say he would meet an average of 1 player everytime he rushes. and he's an exceptional autoer that mastered the arts of gunning  :/His opponent are also decent players that also uses auto.
Lets say they are all gunners and never gets close enough to nade one another. And when they do meet each other, the alpha guy is able to slaughter the bravo while only losing 50% of the life (wow). He springs to bravos base, but by the time he reached bravos base, his opponent would respawn and the burning desire of revenge would make him chase down his killer even if its the last thing he would do. If everything goes according to my previously made assumption, He and the bravo guy would both die. And he would not be able to cap. The flag, leading his team to greatness.

So the even if the alpha player is very skilled, he would most likely only average 2 kill/round if he didnt take any health packs.  And lets just forget if the guy meets two bravo player at the sametime.. He would just get pwned... Thats because the guns can only do so much. There is something skill cannot compensate.

So I just think you should be able to deal more damage before dying and handle more guys at the sametime.

Then..I forgot what I was going add.. but lets go stright to the solution

2 solution
- boost average damage of the bullet.
- make headshots worth more.

which one is more appausible?

EDIT: POLL added to help people expressing better bout this topic and/or me as a human being. (surprize!)

EDIT2: poll edited.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 08:02:23 pm by excruciator »
Always remember the succubus...

Offline ~R~Radio

• Major(1)
Re: somewhat underpowered?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 04:37:09 pm »
Giving headshots more damage. Its a small area, meaning on average, you would only hit that area a few times. What I dont get is why the feet and the head give equal damage. The head area should give more damage when shot.
Soldat name: A Viking_

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 04:49:10 pm »
Giving headshots more damage. Its a small area, meaning on average, you would only hit that area a few times. What I dont get is why the feet and the head give equal damage. The head area should give more damage when shot.
Sorry pal, you're wrong. :) It's something like this:

115% damage - Head shots
100% damage - Body hits
85% damage - Leg shots

It's on the Soldat Wiki, on the Health article...

The weapons do seem rather weak right now, but I'm really not very adamant about getting all the weapons boosted, because I just play this game for fun. I think my skills are advanced, but not to the point of getting into the major clan scene.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 05:07:49 pm »
Dear excruciator did you try playing realistic mode? If you did, what's your conclusion with described stalemate situation? I don't think it would change (situation is still possible), so giving boost to all weapons isn't going to change anything.
And, if headshots give even more additional damage, wouldn't it be like autos for n00bz (spray and pray to hit the head) and pwnz0rs (one shot in head to kill, or miss and be dead)? I fear that it would make everybody use ruger as in realistic mode.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 05:23:54 pm »
Dear excruciator did you try playing realistic mode? If you did, what's your conclusion with described stalemate situation? I don't think it would change (situation is still possible), so giving boost to all weapons isn't going to change anything.
And, if headshots give even more additional damage, wouldn't it be like autos for n00bz (spray and pray to hit the head) and pwnz0rs (one shot in head to kill, or miss and be dead)? I fear that it would make everybody use ruger as in realistic mode.

yeah soz I should specify, that its only for normal, I like the realistic balance better, except the recoil.
and im not thinking bout 200% 300% dmg to the head, just like 130-150%. so 2 heads = 1 less shot you would have to hit, thats all.

so ruger would still have to make 2 hits while giving autos a chance to live through and ruger attack. Still I know there might be the problem of Auto flooding(everyone auto) and deagle mastery( 2 head = 1 kill, but if the head worth 150% than its would only take 1 head any 1 anything else, so it would make deagles overpowered) So still "working" on it. Just post your suggestions.

EDIT: I wish there was a way to see who voted what..
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 05:31:00 pm by excruciator »

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 07:26:40 pm »
I think a hybrid of both would be pretty cool, on one hand putting a higher emphasis on headshots would make skill more important, a general boost to weapons is something I have always advocated.

I wish some beta testers would share their opinions, it seems like they don't even view this board.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 07:42:55 pm »
I agree, a general boost is in order. The game is far too slow paced in normal mode, causeing people to go to realistic and not come back. A good, uniform boost would fix this, I believe.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 08:02:05 pm »
I think a hybrid of both would be pretty cool, on one hand putting a higher emphasis on headshots would make skill more important, a general boost to weapons is something I have always advocated.

totally agreed and loved it

I wish some beta testers would share their opinions, it seems like they don't even view this board.

Yeah...anyone has connections in Soldat Betatester group(?)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 08:04:30 pm by excruciator »

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 08:28:42 pm »
I think it's ok as it is now, no need to change anything.
urraka

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 10:41:25 pm »
I would like to see a slight boost in autos. Only a slight one though. Like 5-10% or something.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 10:55:14 pm »
I would like to see a slight boost in autos. Only a slight one though. Like 5-10% or something.
O_o

I think that's far too much... The MP5 has like 102 points of damage or somewhere close to that, so 10% would be like an extra 10 points of damage. :S

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 10:56:54 pm »
I stand by a universal buff. I have tried it, and although my method wasn't perfect, it made the game faster paced, more adrenaline-rushing, and, thus, more fun.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline ElGato

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 11:45:02 pm »
I haven't voted but I will say I would not be opposed to a damage boost. However, it wouldn't have the exact effect you want I think.

So the even if the alpha player is very skilled, he would most likely only average 2 kill/round if he didnt take any health packs.  And lets just forget if the guy meets two bravo player at the sametime.. He would just get pwned... Thats because the guns can only do so much. There is something skill cannot compensate.

So I just think you should be able to deal more damage before dying and handle more guys at the sametime.

Then..I forgot what I was going add.. but lets go stright to the solution

While a boost to damage would create a much more noticeable gap between those with and without skill if the players are even close the lone man will also just get gunned down much quicker leading to no change. And if the lone player is worse he may get gunned down without making any difference at all. I think it would just lead to a bigger disparity between those with and without skill, I don't know if that's the idea you had with this or not. And I can imagine the headshot idea would yield very similar results, maybe even to more of an extreme.

Also the only person you really need reading these forums is Skoskav. :p
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 11:47:05 pm by ElGato »
[fist] Black Powa

7th_account

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 03:26:29 am »
Also the only person you really need reading these forums is Skoskav. :p
^__^

Can't agree on the hs thing though. Height advantage is already too awsome.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 08:15:34 am »
what about decreasing the leg dmg

Date Posted: November 13, 2007, 08:13:40 am
While a boost to damage would create a much more noticeable gap between those with and without skill if the players are even close the lone man will also just get gunned down much quicker leading to no change.

yeah I've noticed. So4yo propose a hybrid of the 2 but 7th seems to hate it the hs part.

7th_account

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 10:26:17 am »
Height disadvantage is already too awesome.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 11:48:51 am »
What again?? :p

Offline Supernaut

• Major
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 11:56:03 am »
Height disadvantage is already too awesome.

Offline ElGato

• Camper
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 12:22:06 pm »
I just don't think either suggestion is the way to accomplish exactly what you want, and unfortunately I don't have any idea what is. When faced with a 2v1 or even the 1v1 conundrum you gave as examples you simply need to change the routine a bit, don't be so predictable. I think increased damage anywhere will have about the same outcome, the individual gunfights will just be shorter.
[fist] Black Powa

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 03:37:28 pm »
I just don't think either suggestion is the way to accomplish exactly what you want, and unfortunately I don't have any idea what is. When faced with a 2v1 or even the 1v1 conundrum you gave as examples you simply need to change the routine a bit, don't be so predictable. I think increased damage anywhere will have about the same outcome, the individual gunfights will just be shorter.

on only way to be able to is to do more headshots... which is not applausible because....why again?