Author Topic: Chainsaw Adrenaline  (Read 6297 times)

7th_account

Chainsaw Adrenaline
« on: November 18, 2007, 09:06:31 am »
The idea is, if you get hit by a bullet while spinning your saw, you only take 50% of the push effect from that bullet.

Often when you lunge at someone with a saw, you can't reach them because they push you away with sheer volume of bullets (mp5, steyr etc.) and you die a few meters infront of them. With this modification sawers will be more feared and it'll be a more popular secondary.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
Re: Chainsaw Adrenaline
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 09:21:06 am »
Yes. I totally support this! I did have an idea to make the chainsaw have a chance of deflecting the bullets Jedi style, but it could be too open to abuse (just using it for the shield ability) and too hard to code. This is a much more practical solution as it only gives you a benefit if you plan on charging with the saw.

F12!

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 09:38:21 am »
Agreed. I have experienced this effect much too often. It would also make zombie matches more fun.

F12.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 10:56:20 am »
F13 ftw!
<I wanna saw you spaztarrrdd!1!!11>

It'll be still only for fun weapon anyway...

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 11:20:44 am »
why dont you just make sawers unaffected by push?

and sometime the problem is more of the dmg, not the push, sawer should take less dmg also.
Always remember the succubus...

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:56:36 pm »
If sawers had a decrease in damage delt to them, everyone would use saw to last longer while running back with the flag, or rushing into the base into the medpack pile, because they wouldn't be slowed down or damaged much.

It would probably be a very popular secondary among the pro's though.

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 05:43:03 pm »
If sawers had a decrease in damage delt to them, everyone would use saw to last longer while running back with the flag, or rushing into the base into the medpack pile, because they wouldn't be slowed down or damaged much.
Damage is still 100%. Also, the push effect is reduced only if the chainsaw is being fired/running - so during the reload, you are extremely vulnerable.

But why would you lunge at someone when they're facing you? That's a poor tactic, which is the player's problem not the game's.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 05:51:38 pm »

But why would you lunge at someone when they're facing you? That's a poor tactic, which is the player's problem not the game's.

Especialy with the Saw's engine sound, it doesn't take much for the opponent to turn around and shoot.

Burning scarfs since 1988

El_Spec

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 06:09:50 pm »
The chainsaw might be overused and overpowered if this is implemented.  But I might wrong.  This should be tested to see how much it'll effect game-play.  Most games tend to balance the chainsaw.  But this is a change.  I'll just have to see how much this will effect gameplay, I support this though.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 09:53:20 pm »

Especialy with the Saw's engine sound, it doesn't take much for the opponent to turn around and shoot.
That should be all the time needed to saw the guy. Besides, you should be diving from short distances, not trying long range saw. Basically I think this addition is an attempt to make a weapon easier to use. Practice, practice. Change it up if something's not working and practice more.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 03:40:38 am »
Damage is still 100%. Also, the push effect is reduced only if the chainsaw is being fired/running - so during the reload, you are extremely vulnerable.

In NonR servers, you can see everyone anyway so, sneaking up from behind is useless...
practice doesn't stop you from getting mp5d by 2 more people and not being able to reach someone, You can't practice being shot at and not dying can you?
Lol, internets.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 03:46:35 am »
I like it. Though the knife should also have this.

OBEY!!!

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 03:50:44 am »
I like it. Though the knife should also have this.
hmm... I dissagree.

Unlike saw, you have the option of throwing a knife, which is what most people do so it is kind of classified as a range weapon. Maybe if you had to get up close-r to kill them, i mean like no other way but stab them in the head, then yes, but seeing as you can throw it, i can see people getting angry because they waste a clip into you and you still get knifed in the face and the guy rans past and steals your flag/gun/babies/pie/cake ect.
Lol, internets.

Offline .::Blaze::.

• Camper
  • `LMS|Blaze^
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 06:26:39 am »
than throw the saw lol..im sure a saw to the face wouldn't feel so good.
hey little kid you want some candy, "yes". GET IN THE VAN!

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 06:30:34 am »
The knife is still very short ranged and it has a start up time. If a guy with any machinegun stands on the other side of the screen the knifer is not able to do anything as he's too far away and pushed back by the bullets.

OBEY!!!

Offline Aquarius

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 06:40:35 am »
knife is a secondary it can't be to strong against primary weapons

chainsaw is secondary too, but it's weaker than other secondaries which you can't say about knife

Offline Arbiter

• Camper
  • You shot me, fool!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 07:21:04 am »
It'd make zombies just a whole lot of dodging.

"Why beat kids when you can beat women?" - Espadon
"markin marknousky wont kno what hit him!" - Some loser.
[/i]

Offline valion

• Soldier
  • you may run, you may hide. but still he comes
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 07:47:29 am »
sorry, i say no. otherwise it just makes it unbalenced. all the adrenaline rush would do is keep you charging, you still would be pushed back by bullets.
plus the chainsaws good enough already, you just need to dodge and roll with it.
bad idea.
Your signature is too big, please read the rules. Keep it under 4 lines of text.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 09:44:30 am »

In NonR servers, you can see everyone anyway so, sneaking up from behind is useless...
practice doesn't stop you from getting mp5d by 2 more people and not being able to reach someone, You can't practice being shot at and not dying can you?
No. (in Normal) People who are moving forwar will only a see a little bit on the edge behind them, unless they're specifically waiting for you in which case you shouldn't attack.

Also, you're going to try and saw through two people?

And yes, practice can help because you can practice agility and speed. Instead of being shot at, try thinking how to avoid the shot.

How about this, we give the Barret quicker fire intervals because every time I rush with it, people kill me easily.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Bug

• Major(1)
  • You'll clean up
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 09:57:24 am »
F13 ftw!
<I wanna saw you spaztarrrdd!1!!11>

It'll be still only for fun weapon anyway...

Bullshit, I (Predikt) have used chainsaw in clanwars effectively. Multikill is not fun if you are it's victim!

More to the topic: This is an excellent suggestion. I'd love to see something like this added to the new version.
yes.