Author Topic: Chainsaw Adrenaline  (Read 6050 times)

Offline Fraggy

• Soldier
  • Mecha 0_o
Re: Chainsaw Adrenaline
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 01:52:16 pm »
The knife is still very short ranged and it has a start up time. If a guy with any machinegun stands on the other side of the screen the knifer is not able to do anything as he's too far away and pushed back by the bullets.

you don't really get the point..

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 01:57:53 pm »
you don't really get the point..
I get it but I still want the knife to have it if the chansaw gets it. End of story.

OBEY!!!

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 02:04:10 pm »
I like it. Though the knife should also have this.
hmm... I dissagree.

Unlike saw, you have the option of throwing a knife, which is what most people do so it is kind of classified as a range weapon. Maybe if you had to get up close-r to kill them, i mean like no other way but stab them in the head, then yes, but seeing as you can throw it, i can see people getting angry because they waste a clip into you and you still get knifed in the face and the guy rans past and steals your flag/gun/babies/pie/cake ect.

Exactly. When using the Saw you are the weapon; which is why this adrenaline buff is needed. The knife already has the throw ability.

If sawers had a decrease in damage delt to them, everyone would use saw to last longer while running back with the flag, or rushing into the base into the medpack pile, because they wouldn't be slowed down or damaged much.
Damage is still 100%. Also, the push effect is reduced only if the chainsaw is being fired/running - so during the reload, you are extremely vulnerable.

But why would you lunge at someone when they're facing you? That's a poor tactic, which is the player's problem not the game's.
In NonR servers, you can see everyone anyway so, sneaking up from behind is useless...
practice doesn't stop you from getting mp5d by 2 more people and not being able to reach someone, You can't practice being shot at and not dying can you?
No. (in Normal) People who are moving forwar will only a see a little bit on the edge behind them, unless they're specifically waiting for you in which case you shouldn't attack.

Also, you're going to try and saw through two people?

And yes, practice can help because you can practice agility and speed. Instead of being shot at, try thinking how to avoid the shot.

How about this, we give the Barret quicker fire intervals because every time I rush with it, people kill me easily.

Sure you can practice those 'shock tactics' of running down a hill or quickly equipping the chainsaw when they aren't suspecting it, but that's the thing- with other weapons you don't need to jump out and use 'shock tactics', you just shoot or throw. Using the run-shock tactics will always rightfully be part of the Saw, but the current 'bullet sheild' effect is just too much.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 02:06:02 pm by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 06:33:14 pm »
So basically the bullets are effectively eliminating the only tactic that the chainsaw has? Just trying to clarify, because that's the only tactic I am familiar of.

Also, besides all my previous posts, if this were to be implemented I betcha crap would hit the fan down at weapon balance. And, like you've seen with Blackdevil, people are gonna ask this for their weapon too.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 06:35:16 pm by BondJamesBond »
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 07:59:58 pm »
So basically the bullets are effectively eliminating the only tactic that the chainsaw has? Just trying to clarify, because that's the only tactic I am familiar of.

Also, besides all my previous posts, if this were to be implemented I betcha crap would hit the fan down at weapon balance. And, like you've seen with Blackdevil, people are gonna ask this for their weapon too.
But, you see, The saw does need some type of buff, it's almost perfect in the sense that you can still kill gunners if you are good enough and people need to realise that it isn't an easy weapon to learn/use.

And what you just said is called "keeping up with the jones'" I want everything you have...and more because that will make us equal. in this case it's the weapons, I want to be able to knife you and live an extra 10 seconds when i rush, because that's what sawers can now do. Just because one weapon gets tweaked doesn't mean they all need to be. Look how hard it is to get kills with a saw and only a saw... compared to a socom or a knife, the saw gets less kills then most on your normal typical ctf or inf server.
Lol, internets.

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 10:24:39 pm »

But, you see, The saw does need some type of buff, it's almost perfect in the sense that you can still kill gunners if you are good enough and people need to realise that it isn't an easy weapon to learn/use.

And what you just said is called "keeping up with the jones'" I want everything you have...and more because that will make us equal. in this case it's the weapons, I want to be able to knife you and live an extra 10 seconds when i rush, because that's what sawers can now do. Just because one weapon gets tweaked doesn't mean they all need to be. Look how hard it is to get kills with a saw and only a saw... compared to a socom or a knife, the saw gets less kills then most on your normal typical ctf or inf server.

Disagree, they mostly spawn and top the charts in kills.

I disagree with this whole idea, the push effect should be implemented into the game or taken out as a whole, not have one weapon invunerable to the push effect. Roll/jump/backflip/superman your way out of the line of fire, if not, take your death and try again with a full clip of your primary. If all else fails, join another server.

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT
CTF_Boscage | CTF_Ridge | CTF_Polar | CTF_Dusty

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 11:22:13 pm »

You're right, just because on weapon is tweaked doesn't mean another has to be. I agree with that, but there are plenty of people who will create a big enough whine that will be hard to shut up. That's just the nature of ... people.

But for the majority of this discussion we've mostly been discussing how the saw kills people - but the saw might not always be best used as a hunting weapon. Let's look at it from a tactical viewpoint. How is the saw an asset to the team as it is now?

1) If you think about it, it can be the greatest intimidation tool. Really. Greater than any other firearm. People underestimate sawers, many times.

2) Sawers will disperse crowds, creating gaps and allowing an ally to exploit them. If a sawer rushes the flag, the opponents will disperse, and a FFC can just swing in and swing back out.

3)  An EFC running from a sawer might not turn around to shoot back (fearing that the saw will catch up) - so an ally with a firearm can deliver unanswered bullets. In fact, the EFC might not shoot at someone in front of them because they don't want to take chances with the saw.

4) Sawers are unpredictable. I know situations where a guy with a barret misfires, and I think 'wow. Free kill'. I waltz up to him prepared to pop his head off, and *bam* a saw in my face.

Basically the saw doesn't have to be solely for killing people.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 11:28:32 pm by BondJamesBond »
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 02:24:35 am »

You're right, just because on weapon is tweaked doesn't mean another has to be. I agree with that, but there are plenty of people who will create a big enough whine that will be hard to shut up. That's just the nature of ... people.

But for the majority of this discussion we've mostly been discussing how the saw kills people - but the saw might not always be best used as a hunting weapon. Let's look at it from a tactical viewpoint. How is the saw an asset to the team as it is now?

1) If you think about it, it can be the greatest intimidation tool. Really. Greater than any other firearm. People underestimate sawers, many times.

2) Sawers will disperse crowds, creating gaps and allowing an ally to exploit them. If a sawer rushes the flag, the opponents will disperse, and a FFC can just swing in and swing back out.

3)  An EFC running from a sawer might not turn around to shoot back (fearing that the saw will catch up) - so an ally with a firearm can deliver unanswered bullets. In fact, the EFC might not shoot at someone in front of them because they don't want to take chances with the saw.

4) Sawers are unpredictable. I know situations where a guy with a barret misfires, and I think 'wow. Free kill'. I waltz up to him prepared to pop his head off, and *bam* a saw in my face.

Basically the saw doesn't have to be solely for killing people.

Yeah, but what about people who use saws and only saws, I mean it's hard for us to get kills if we are fighting a good team or a good player, i've only played a handful of good sawers and that's compared to a massive amount of other good players, if the saw had more going for it more people would use it and it would be more popular.

Personally i think it should get a sort of adrenaline type of thing or something of that like.
It's not like it would make us die less, it would just give us, the sawer, a better chance to grab that one kill that was just that little bit to far for us to reach.
Lol, internets.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 09:49:54 am »
>_< you can't just use the same weapon all the time and expect kills. Anyways, I'm going to leave it at that. I think we pretty much hit on everything.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 11:33:15 am »

Disagree, they mostly spawn and top the charts in kills.

I disagree with this whole idea, the push effect should be implemented into the game or taken out as a whole, not have one weapon invunerable to the push effect. Roll/jump/backflip/superman your way out of the line of fire, if not, take your death and try again with a full clip of your primary. If all else fails, join another server.

The Saw needs to get ultra-close to the opponent. You can use the roll/jump/backflip/superman to get close to them, but there's the point where they just can't miss and you just can't get to them.

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 11:36:20 pm »
>_< you can't just use the same weapon all the time and expect kills. Anyways, I'm going to leave it at that. I think we pretty much hit on everything.
I know but there ARE some hardcore people out there that do... like back in the cyborg days, that guy was extreme with a chainsaw. :D
Lol, internets.

Offline freeloader

• Major(1)
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2007, 05:56:40 pm »
The saw is one of the least popular secondaries, right next to the Socom or lower. The saw requires a large amount of practice if you plan on getting good with it rather then goofing around. You need lots of mindgames and twitch reflexes to not die by a quick 'rett shot (and kill people in the process). This idea might make the saw more friendly to newbies.
Hell, I'd like to see the saw used more often period.

Offline imacheater2k7

• Soldier
  • Your friendly neighborhood semi-goth.
    • New VGN
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2007, 06:10:28 pm »
Basically, if you can't kill someone with the saw and you think this should be implemented, maybe you should just invest some time practicing with a weapon that you're actually good with. I happen to know that if someone is good enough with a saw, this s*it isn't needed for them to get some good kills. And besides, the saw's main purpose isn't to run around killing people with just IT. It's a SECONDARY, so it's obviously planned as a BACKUP weapon. If you run around with nothing but a chainsaw, that's YOUR problem. If the team you're going up against is too good to kill with the saw, SWITCH WEAPONS. Simple as that. Leave the saw alone.

Offline Eclipse

• Soldier
  • :D
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2007, 06:50:09 pm »
F12. Great idea.
All teh Piezors Shall beh Minezors!

Offline di0xygen

• Major(1)
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 11:43:41 am »
Saw is awfully easy when you compare it to the pure stabbing knife. I used to play only knife with no throw. It needs fast approch great reflex and and crazy timing to hit. Saw is only hold key and touch opponent.

I think saw is fine, when i use it in a match i'm usually top 3, especially in arena and arena 3

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 01:27:14 pm »
I'm slowly starting to saw, even in cws and such, I think this would help a lot. Fully agree.

Offline Avis

• Camper
  • Aufmachen, Gestapo
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 01:51:11 pm »
Agreed.
BANG! 5:45 o' clock. It's the police raiding your home, blackmailing you.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 03:39:38 pm »
F12. My random saw-tard moments in TW compell me. On a side note, this would make zombie matches a helluva lot harder, if anyone actually cares.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline FearTheReaper

• Major
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2007, 10:05:18 am »
F12. I love saw, but in underground passages and such, I have run into MP5, Steyr or Minimi and been about two feet short of kill. Which really sucks, because even n00b like me can spray a sawer and push them back. I think this way it would incorporate more tactics into defending against saw.

Plus I want more kills :).

Also, while I'm thinking about it, F11 to damage cut on sawer. This would make it easy for n00bs like me to just run around the map and chop people to little bits without death.

Offline YoMammasMamma

• Major(1)
  • I'm also Stanley Decker.
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2007, 12:50:53 am »
As someone who sometimes uses only the saw, this is definitely an interesting idea.  There are plenty of times when something like this would have been meant the difference between victory and defeat, yet I doubt it would make as big a difference as some people seem to think--after all, the best defense against a chainsaw isn't to sit there and shoot at the guy, but rather to be on the move yourself.  Simply getting into the air increases your chances of surviving the encounter by no small margin.

If anything, anyone that's smart will just jet into the air more often.  I think even a 50% decrease in stopping power wouldn't be enough to keep the shotgun from stopping a sawer in their tracks, anyway, and it's those that a sawer really has to look out for.

There's also the fact that anyone using the saw as a backup weapon (like it's intended anyway) is probably whipping it out after they've already gotten into a confrontation with an opponent, in which case they're gonna need all the help they can get.
"Oh yeah?  Well...  Yo mamma!"

"Oh yeah!?  ...Uh, Yo Mamma's Mamma!"