Poll

Yes or no?

F12 - Yes
10 (83.3%)
F11 - No
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Offline Scripts  (Read 1332 times)

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Offline Scripts
« on: July 10, 2009, 07:08:36 am »
The issue is, to run a single-player Soldat game with scripts, you'd need to set up a Soldat server. You need to constantly upgrade your server, otherwise you can't join the server with your current version of Soldat, or other complications.

Instead, why not make it possible for the Soldat itself to be able to run scripts for single-player modes? Like weapons.ini file (the weapons balance) in your mod, the scripts only work offline, not online.

This is not an important feature and I understand that this may not be implemented, I just want to see your opinions for this. I am aware it has been suggested before in the past, but I'd like to bring it up again.

EDIT:
EnEsCe said before that this won't be implemented as it would cause a lot of problems. Read the below posts for more info.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:37:57 am by STM1993 »

Offline MetsuriTossavainen

• Camper
  • The Chainsaw Wizard
Re: Offline Scripts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 07:14:35 am »
This would be pretty nice. I would use that everytime I need to test some scripts.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:00:27 am »
EnEsCe said sometime this would make hacking easier for hackers. Can't find the quote though.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 08:21:12 am »
Related Topic

I suggested the same thing months ago and EnEsCe said that it would make hacking easier. The quote is in the topic. Well, you can test out scripts offline already, so I don´t see any problem with implementing it. It would make offline playing more interesting for those who can´t play online that much (no flatrate for example) and it would be easier to test scripts. I don´t see any problem with hacking here since you can use hacks offline already I guess :)

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:33:13 am »
pretty much this:

I won't be adding Scripting to the Soldat Client because it will open up too many new possibilities for cheaters to exploit and control the game more than they already can. Yes, offline blah blah, but it would just easily get hacked to work online too.
It would also create issues and strain with the updates to the script core.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 08:36:32 am »
Ahh, I guess this is an ill-fated suggestion... at least that is a good reason behind why it isn't implemented.

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:33:32 am »
I am all for of, but EnEsCe is god.

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:53:05 am »

Actually no... He's just lazy.
I'd like this, but it's obvious Enesce has no intention on working to deter cheating much more in the coming versions, he'd rather make useless crap up.. like the in-game chat lobby that nobody uses. </rant>
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

DarkCrusade

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 11:12:16 am »

Actually no... He's just lazy.
I'd like this, but it's obvious Enesce has no intention on working to deter cheating much more in the coming versions, he'd rather make useless crap up.. like the in-game chat lobby that nobody uses. </rant>

Don´t be mean, EnEsCe does everything for the soldat community relating to the game. Everybody cryed for this ingame lobby and now everybody is complaining about it. Is that fair? You should really be more gentle to EnEsCe or can you do what EnEsCe does? Making assumptions is not ontopic ...

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 02:12:23 pm »
It's really not difficult to set up a dedicated server.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 02:32:04 pm »
It's really not difficult to set up a dedicated server.

yeah, and having enesce stuff the scriptcore into the client would be a waste of his time.
There are other worlds than these

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 11:35:06 pm »
Mmm, you guys make good points there.
And some of you people (UnknownSniper for instance), stop blaming NSC already.

Well, I guess the topic has served its function, so if it is locked, it doesn't matter. If I have questions on how to set up a server, then I'll go ask separately.