Author Topic: Laptops...  (Read 1415 times)

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
Laptops...
« on: November 26, 2007, 08:02:56 am »
I've recently been thinking about buying a laptop, so that I have something to put the pictures I take with my new camera on when I go to Florida next month. After a long and thorough search (five minutes on newegg.com) I found a decently priced laptop with a good sized hard drive and a heart of gold.

Anyway, rather than going off and writing a moderately entertaining wall of unrelated text, I'll get straight to the point: Can anybody recommend anything better? My price range is <$600 with a hard drive size of at least 100gb, and that laptop happens to fit my need for that exact price.

Also, if anybody happens to be willing to send me a laptop that they aren't using, pm me and we can work something out. Thanks.

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
Re: Laptops...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:07:12 am »
Laptops these days have only gotten better. The one we own, at least 4-5 years old, is still going strong :p Good luck with finding one one though ::D
Lol, internets.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 09:10:43 am »
Your is somewhat OK but the hardrive and the GPU suck. Get a hardrive that has 7200rpm, it's better to have a smaller HDD than having 300GB and 5200rmp(these are so slow) and if possible a better GPU.

Check out zepto.com. That's the place where i will get my uber laptop after new year (the Znote 6625WD all maxed!  ::)). They also have some discount now before Christmas.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:14:47 am by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 09:21:26 am »
The GPU isn't really important, I won't be using it for gaming. Just photoshop and web browsing. I will take what you said about the hdd into consideration, though.

Does zepto ship to the US? The main page doesn't even have it listed as a country.

Offline Amblin

• Major(1)
  • Uwe Boll, a master and friend
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 09:54:23 am »
I don't see why you would need a 7200rpm hard drive in a laptop like that.
Some things might react faster, but I doubt it's worth the added noise, heat and power consumption.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 10:06:21 am »
Thinkpad T series.

That's all I have to say.  If you're looking for a portable desktop/gaming laptop, then you need to look elsewhere probably.... but for any other purpose I would recommend nothing else

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 10:32:14 am »
Laptops are very sought after by thieves and muggers.

And besides... you can't open them up and customize your hardware (or fix problems for yourself saving money)
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 10:35:35 am »
The GPU isn't really important, I won't be using it for gaming. Just photoshop and web browsing. I will take what you said about the hdd into consideration, though.

Does zepto ship to the US? The main page doesn't even have it listed as a country.
It has a global site link if you check again on the .com front page.

OBEY!!!

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 11:00:49 am »
Laptops are very sought after by thieves and muggers.

And besides... you can't open them up and customize your hardware (or fix problems for yourself saving money)

You can for some laptops.  Most laptops will let you add/remove/change minipci cards as well as RAM.  I can say that Thinkpads are very modular and easy to repair.  I've completely torn apart a number of them and rebuilt them... just about everything can be replaced.  While most of them are Thinkpad-specific modules (though they're easy to buy from Lenovo/IBM or on ebay), the RAM, CPU, minipci, and a few other components are common standards.  http://ryan.u13.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=4104&g2_imageViewsIndex=3

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 11:33:37 am »
Thinkpad T series.

From what I've seen those are a little out of my price range; I'd love to get one, but my budget is pretty tight right now. I've only got about $600 that I'm willing to spend

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 11:41:53 am »
Maybe also look at used/refurbished ones, like a used/refurbed T60 or something. 

Offline JupiterShadow

• Camper
  • MS Paint + Adobe Lighting effects FTW!
    • 55274-640-8484137-23948
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 01:03:58 am »
OMFG don't get a gateway. They break down easily because of various hardware issues. I had a gateway solo a couple of years ago. In the first month of use, the battery died and i had to get a replacement. On the third month of use, the backlight of my screen overheated and broke. So i had to get another one. And finally, the sixth month of use, the 40 gb harddrive was scratched by the harddrive reader head and was now useless. So i sold it on ebay as spares. Now i have Hp pavilion ze4500 which I used for 3 years without any issues.