Author Topic: On the nature of humanity  (Read 2673 times)

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
On the nature of humanity
« on: November 28, 2007, 01:25:17 pm »
Anyone remember that part in the Matrix when Mouse tells Neo, "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human"?  Well, it sounds deep and all, and Neo seems to buy it, but it sounds like complete nonsense to me.  Denying our impulses is exactly what makes us human, since any animal follows its impulses.

So how do you define humanity? What makes us different from other animals?  Is it intelligence? Is it culture? Is it a conscience? Why is hunting legal but murder illegal? Why is murder illegal but abortion legal? Why is selective breeding legal but racial discrimination illegal?

Where do you draw the line between humans and animals, and why?
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline yv3

• Major(1)
  • I DON'T cheat!
    • Yasan V3
Re: On the nature of humanity
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 02:51:23 pm »
If humans would deny their impulses (although its not completely possible even if you meditate all the time, i think), they would be like machines with no unique emotional identity. That is what the mouse wanted to say, i think.

Both human and animals have natural instincts and they are imprisoned by the autonomous parts of their brain structure and physics. I think the big difference is the presence of counciousness that enables reflecting about yourself. It is an additional brain part that defines the difference between a human and a rat.
Science had proven that also some animals have cociousness. But their brain isn't complex enough to achieve the goals that humans are able to. Culture and conscience is a conclusion of that.

Hunting is legal because it is funny for some people and because many people think humans are the only one that have conciousness. It's an philosophical discussion. Hunting could also have some postive rational aspects (preventing overpopulation for instance). I would also like to hunt in a big forest but maybe i couldn't kill an animal at the end or would have bad conscience after it (I'd rathe like to pwn n00bs with my knife in Soldat). It is always a fight between the instincts and the rational part of the brain. Check out MM's blog (mm.soldat.pl). There are some related thoughts there.

Abortion and Murdering both decides whether someone can live or not. Abortion is often tolerated  because there is no clear definition when life and cociousness start to be present.

Selective Breading restricts genes, preventing racial discrimination restricts "bad" behavior. I think that mostly the parents and the environment form your behavior, not the genes. Therefore there is a diffence between the two things fo me. But selective breeding can also be bad because it describes mouse's statement. On the other hand the technics can be helpful for diseased people and you can't stop the humans curiousity anyway. I think we have to accept it in a specific way.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 03:05:55 pm by yv3 »
Yasan v3 - Frags don't matter - only skill counts!

Creator of ySoldatStat

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 04:30:55 pm »
What makes you think you're different from any other animal?

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 04:55:09 pm »
I can type?
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 05:03:22 pm »
I can type?
I can right click... Oh thats macs... nevermind >.>

Really there are differences in behavior and intelligence between humans and animals. Being someone that stabbed bunnies in the face with a needle for a living you should know that vijcht...
@ii

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 05:15:06 pm »

Humans as a whole tend to believe that they are superior to most life and non-life on earth.  Obviously, in the cosmic sense humans have very little importance.  However, on a local (planetary) level, there are definitely differences between humans and animals, and I'm trying to learn which of those differences people think are important.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 07:30:08 pm »
But there are none.  You function on the same basic chemical reactions as every living thing.  Your behavior is similar to other animals in many ways.  You even create and use tools just as others do.  Many assume our superior cognition sets us apart, but that is only an arrogant delusion: many animals are superior to us and each other in a variety of ways, what special place does cognition hold?

From a biological perspective, the only differences between you and all other animals is that you are either unable or unwilling to breed with them and that you have a unique assortment of traits that identifies you as a member of Homo sapiens.  But every other animal is unique in exactly the same way.

Humanity is nothing special.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 07:33:54 pm »
Tell that to my non-poop tossing thumbs!
@ii

7th_account

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 07:46:39 pm »
I can type?
There's also a vast differance between pygmy chimpanzees and snails. The chimpanzees live in societies, gather food, use tools, have great motor skills and have senses or right or wrong. They can communicate, use facial expressions, feel sadness, anger, friendship and are very keen on solving issues with sex. Snails on the other hand are just stupid slime that would die if put in a teflon pan. Obviously there is a powerful overmind that created pygmy chimpanzees as the crown jewels of the universe, and all other animals as just there for their amusement.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 07:51:34 pm by 7th_account »

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 08:19:32 pm »
Tell that to my non-poop tossing thumbs!

Some time during your life, little pinworms will wiggle out of your anus and cause a nasty itch.  You will scratch it, the pinworm larvae will become lodged under your fingernails, and later you will unintentionally eat them to complete their life cycle.  There is a good chance that you've already done this several times.

While monkeys may throw their poop as an effective means of warding off others, you will be busy eating parasites that recently crawled out of your intestines.  Am I supposed to believe there is something special about you?

Offline Svirin Kerath

• Camper
  • O NO I GOT SHOTD
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 08:23:45 pm »
If you want to talk superiority, look no further than the AIDs virus. It's not even technically alive, but we have no way of stopping it. We have gotten to a point where we can slow it down, but really, we cannot declare ourselves superior.

There are insignificant little bugs that can kill us within hours, or even minutes, of one bite.

We must define 'superiority.' We also must define 'intelligence.'

Also, after the rash of "what do u think of teh ___ above you" threads, why the sudden rash of philosophical ones?

Perhaps it is as I said, the Soldat Forums is a place for sophisticated debate.
I AM A SMARTARSED PRICK OF A HUMAN BEING

I AM ALSO DOUCHEBAGGERY, AND I'M SPREADING

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 08:31:22 pm »
But there are none.  You function on the same basic chemical reactions as every living thing.  Your behavior is similar to other animals in many ways.  You even create and use tools just as others do.  Many assume our superior cognition sets us apart, but that is only an arrogant delusion: many animals are superior to us and each other in a variety of ways, what special place does cognition hold?

You've just contradicted yourself.  There can be no superiority if there are no differences.  Obviously those superior animals must be different from humans in some way.  What is that difference? What about those animals makes them better than us?

Those are the sort of answers that I'm looking for in this discussion.  You'll notice I never once argued that humans were superior to animals, only different.  But you're so busy telling me that humans are nothing that you've missed my entire point.
Gamer_2k4

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 08:53:30 pm »
Ok gamer, lets say we put a human in the wilderness, now not a human who has been tainted by civilization, but one who has a true hunting instinct as any animal does.

Now without tools, would a human be able to survive against a lion? crocodile? ... Most likely no, so i believe humans are not superior but we are surviving, using what we were given to our advantage, as a lion would use tall dead grass to hide from an antelope. In our case its intelligence, without our tools and technology we are just another animal trying to make it.

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT
CTF_Boscage | CTF_Ridge | CTF_Polar | CTF_Dusty

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 09:04:16 pm »
Yet another person misses the point.

But, at least he suggested a component of humanity.
Gamer_2k4

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 09:10:09 pm »
Miss the point? You asked what draws the line between animals and humans and that is mostly due to superior intelligence, imo. What more do you want?

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 09:11:08 pm »
Well, humans also knowingly override their urge to procreate, to the point where they don't pass on any genes at all.

I'm not biologist, not sure if any other creatures exhibit this trait.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 09:30:04 pm »
Miss the point? You asked what draws the line between animals and humans and that is mostly due to superior intelligence, imo. What more do you want?

Well, you seemed to be trying to dispute humans' superiority over animals, which had nothing to do with my original post.  I might have misunderstood you, but that's what I thought you were saying.
Gamer_2k4

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 09:53:41 pm »
What makes us different from other animals?
I'm mainly focused on this question^

What i meant in that post was not to say humans are superior, it was to show what our place is in this world and how we use what is given to us to survive like any other animal does. Lions use strength and speed, crocs will use the water, stealth and strength... all to survive. Humans we use our intelligence to survive by making tools and weapons to assist us as we do not have the strength and even weight of a lion to hunt, so we have to improvise. So i would say we are superior when it comes to intelligence but when it comes to physical attributes, we arent the top of the food chain, if you get what im saying.

Im not very good at explaining the intellectual thoughts in my head, but hopefully i kinda cleared it up for you.

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 10:13:30 pm »
Ah, so humanity is composed of an increased intellect to negate the disadvantages of decreased physical ability.  I got you. ;)
Gamer_2k4

Offline karmazon

• Major
  • Impossible is a dare.
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 11:46:05 pm »
Well, humans also knowingly override their urge to procreate, to the point where they don't pass on any genes at all.

I'm not biologist, not sure if any other creatures exhibit this trait.

You just say that cause you're an engineer you virgin.
Plan B is don't fail. - Smegma
I hate emotions.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 03:11:24 am »
You'll notice I never once argued that humans were superior to animals, only different.  But you're so busy telling me that humans are nothing that you've missed my entire point.

My mistake.  I thought you were looking for a meaningful answer.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 03:59:35 am »
So you're saying that the lives of humans are supposed to be meaningful?

Because, on my principles, I don't believe in that, even though I am a Christian.

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 04:22:06 am »
You'll notice I never once argued that humans were superior to animals, only different.  But you're so busy telling me that humans are nothing that you've missed my entire point.
You're arguing semantics. Many of the things you mentioned - intelligence, culture, conscience, are appreciated by humans and aim to show our superiority over other animals.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 11:56:22 am »

My mistake.  I thought you were looking for a meaningful answer.

So the only meaning to you is that nothing has meaning?  Everyone knows that in a universe as large as ours, individual actions and thoughts mean nothing.  Clearly this topic (and really, any other one) is local to our planet.  Playing the "big picture" card just makes you a troll.

You're arguing semantics. Many of the things you mentioned - intelligence, culture, conscience, are appreciated by humans and aim to show our superiority over other animals.

Not really.  But you've brought up another aspect of humanity: We desire superiority.  Yes, intelligence and the rest are generally considered to be superior qualities by the human race, but I'm trying to avoid the issue of superiority here.  That's why my initial post asked "how are we different," not "how are we better."

The fact that you believe my using "different" instead of "superior" is semantic in nature underlines that aspect of humanity.  But, as Vijchti said, in the cosmic sense, very little matters.  We happen to be sharing a speck in a galaxy with other forms of life.  Why is there distinction between humans, plants, and animals? Is it merely a product of a human superiority complex?

The differences don't have to be meaningful, either.  Maybe murder is only illegal because we can relate to the victim, in which case we're no better than animals (who tend to not kill their own kind).  Maybe, on the other hand, murder is illegal because we recognize the impact it has on others - the emotional impact of losing a family member, the industrial impact of losing a worker, the economical impact of losing a consumer, the tactical impact of losing a soldier.  That's the sort of difference that I'm looking for - animals don't kill because they're of the same type, while humans don't kill because we realize the long term effects of such an action.

You could call that a difference in cognition, or you could say that it's simply an evolutionary tool to prolong the survival of our race (again negating the difference).  This discussion is very open to opinion, and I'm trying to remain unbiased about it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 01:47:17 pm by {LAW} Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 03:09:20 pm »
Not really.  But you've brought up another aspect of humanity: We desire superiority.

That makes us no better than animals, mostly males like to be superior to other males, testosterone is to blame, females, its just began to become a growing trend* (in younger girls, older women still dont seem to care if they are superior). Animals, when it comes to males, there is always an 'alpha male', one who dominates all the other males, by fighting each other. So wanting to be superior is not just a human trait, its a trait shared by all animals as well.

*From my observations in america

And yes, those things you mentioned, culture, conscience, common sense... they all derive from higher intelligence, its all centered around it. So if we didnt have such high intelligence, we'd lack such things as culture and conscience and be exactly like animals.

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT