Author Topic: On the nature of humanity  (Read 2699 times)

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
Re: On the nature of humanity
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 03:11:24 am »
You'll notice I never once argued that humans were superior to animals, only different.  But you're so busy telling me that humans are nothing that you've missed my entire point.

My mistake.  I thought you were looking for a meaningful answer.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 03:59:35 am »
So you're saying that the lives of humans are supposed to be meaningful?

Because, on my principles, I don't believe in that, even though I am a Christian.

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 04:22:06 am »
You'll notice I never once argued that humans were superior to animals, only different.  But you're so busy telling me that humans are nothing that you've missed my entire point.
You're arguing semantics. Many of the things you mentioned - intelligence, culture, conscience, are appreciated by humans and aim to show our superiority over other animals.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 11:56:22 am »

My mistake.  I thought you were looking for a meaningful answer.

So the only meaning to you is that nothing has meaning?  Everyone knows that in a universe as large as ours, individual actions and thoughts mean nothing.  Clearly this topic (and really, any other one) is local to our planet.  Playing the "big picture" card just makes you a troll.

You're arguing semantics. Many of the things you mentioned - intelligence, culture, conscience, are appreciated by humans and aim to show our superiority over other animals.

Not really.  But you've brought up another aspect of humanity: We desire superiority.  Yes, intelligence and the rest are generally considered to be superior qualities by the human race, but I'm trying to avoid the issue of superiority here.  That's why my initial post asked "how are we different," not "how are we better."

The fact that you believe my using "different" instead of "superior" is semantic in nature underlines that aspect of humanity.  But, as Vijchti said, in the cosmic sense, very little matters.  We happen to be sharing a speck in a galaxy with other forms of life.  Why is there distinction between humans, plants, and animals? Is it merely a product of a human superiority complex?

The differences don't have to be meaningful, either.  Maybe murder is only illegal because we can relate to the victim, in which case we're no better than animals (who tend to not kill their own kind).  Maybe, on the other hand, murder is illegal because we recognize the impact it has on others - the emotional impact of losing a family member, the industrial impact of losing a worker, the economical impact of losing a consumer, the tactical impact of losing a soldier.  That's the sort of difference that I'm looking for - animals don't kill because they're of the same type, while humans don't kill because we realize the long term effects of such an action.

You could call that a difference in cognition, or you could say that it's simply an evolutionary tool to prolong the survival of our race (again negating the difference).  This discussion is very open to opinion, and I'm trying to remain unbiased about it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 01:47:17 pm by {LAW} Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 03:09:20 pm »
Not really.  But you've brought up another aspect of humanity: We desire superiority.

That makes us no better than animals, mostly males like to be superior to other males, testosterone is to blame, females, its just began to become a growing trend* (in younger girls, older women still dont seem to care if they are superior). Animals, when it comes to males, there is always an 'alpha male', one who dominates all the other males, by fighting each other. So wanting to be superior is not just a human trait, its a trait shared by all animals as well.

*From my observations in america

And yes, those things you mentioned, culture, conscience, common sense... they all derive from higher intelligence, its all centered around it. So if we didnt have such high intelligence, we'd lack such things as culture and conscience and be exactly like animals.

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT
CTF_Boscage | CTF_Ridge | CTF_Polar | CTF_Dusty