Author Topic: The beginning  (Read 15983 times)

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
The beginning
« on: November 28, 2007, 01:46:02 pm »
Ok, i know there are a lot of atheists (and/or unreligious people) here and on the other hand, their are religious people also. I, myself, was born into a christian family, and i was always forced to go to church until i became of age to rebel against. Although, i believe God exists, my morals dont follow what the religion says he wants from humanity, so i dont claim to be a 'true' follower. Though i believe God exists because of how the universe is here, i believe their had to be a higher power for such ''coincidences'' to happen.

The Big Bang Theory makes no sense to me, i cant believe that a small speck decided to have a nuclear reaction into what is believed to be an infinite universe.

So for those who dont believe any God/gods exists, how do you think the universe came to be? Are you truly convinced by it? It makes me curious, as any scientific theory i've heard just doesnt sound right, and since some dont believe in a higher power they have to wonder how they got here, its only human, right?

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT
CTF_Boscage | CTF_Ridge | CTF_Polar | CTF_Dusty

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
Re: The beginning
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 01:54:36 pm »
Fruitless debate will come from this... most people that are willing to debate only want a prove themselves right... not reach understanding. However I read up on evolution when I was a kid before I really listened to creation and didn't really feel like it gave any answers. Creation makes more sense to me, but then again I am a Christian.  However neither side can prove their debate 100% either way... takes an equal amount of faith on both sides.
@ii

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 02:04:58 pm »
If existance without a "higher power" makes no sense to you, then why do you believe in something that had to begin from something? Realize, that existance makes no sense.

Long live Nazi-Communism!

Offline Rhombus

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 02:37:53 pm »
This will probably turn into a major fecking event, but whatever.

I don't really believe anything, when it comes to big things like the "beginning of it all".
I don't know what happened, and I don't really care either. This world is here... that's probably true (although in the end, everything you sense may just be projected into your mind).  The world is here, and that's what I care about. Some people see me as an atheist, because I don't think about the afterlife at all. I'll tell you one thing... if any of the religious people are right.... I'm fecked.

Anyway.... I just accept the fact that I don't know what made us come to life, and I leave it at that.

PS. Hi, I'm back. (again)

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 02:47:01 pm »
The Big Bang Theory makes no sense to me, i cant believe that a small speck decided to have a nuclear reaction into what is believed to be an infinite universe.

Go and read Stephen Hawkins - A Brief History of Time It really puts big bang theory into plain and simple English and shows how the theory is based on the physical properties we know that black holes have.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 02:54:27 pm »
The main problem that I have with the big bang theory is that the exact requirements for life to exist on Earth are so phenomenally perfect and sensitive that the thought of a large explosion creating it as it is now is, subsequently, very far-fetched. I am faithful in my belief that the higher power, God, created the universe, and I'll leave it at that. There is no point arguing about this subject due to the fact that inept discussion revolving around the ideal that being correct correlates to intelligence or debating methods is asinine, at best.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 02:56:21 pm by Twistkill »

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 03:00:47 pm »
I think the theory of the bing bang is partially right, but has anyone ever thought about this: what if the universe always existed. Imagine that something could just exist. Think about time. Does time exist or not? Because if it exist then it should have been created. If there was no space before, there should have been time, and how old is time actually? Infinitely?

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 03:03:43 pm »
I think the theory of the bing bang is partially right, but has anyone ever thought about this: what if the universe always existed. Imagine that something could just exist. Think about time. Does time exist or not? Because if it exist then it should have been created. If there was no space before, there should have been time, and how old is time actually? Infinitely?
Ah, that issue seems to be brought up, as well...

The theist belief requires people to think of God as not physically attached to this world, and thus possesses the ability to have created the universe outside the human race's concept of time due to Him being supernatural and spiritual. We simply do not have the ability to understand it.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 03:06:58 pm »
The main problem that I have with the big bang theory is that the exact requirements for life to exist on Earth are so phenomenally perfect and sensitive that the thought of a large explosion creating it as it is now is, subsequently, very far-fetched. I am faithful in my belief that the higher power, God, created the universe, and I'll leave it at that. There is no point arguing about this subject due to the fact that inept discussion revolving around the ideal that being correct correlates to intelligence or debating methods is asinine, at best.

You say that the big bang sounds far fetched, but some all powerful being made it in seven days is not?
Espechially when these statements comes from thousands of years back, when mankind had absoulutely no idea of how the universe or anything larger than their wheelbarrow worked.
A time where people were very prone to making up their own versions of explaining phenomenons as weather, storms, diseases and other things.

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 03:21:29 pm »
The main problem that I have with the big bang theory is that the exact requirements for life to exist on Earth are so phenomenally perfect and sensitive that the thought of a large explosion creating it as it is now is, subsequently, very far-fetched

you said something that i couldnt word, hence why i left it out of my original post, if i remember correctly, the first organisms were some type of bacteria, and how is it that humans are the only intelligent life to spring from those bacteria which all life was supposed to derive from. Hence, why i believe humans had to exist seperate from animals, there is nothing out there like us, monkeys are the closest thing but they are still far from being able to compete with the human mind.

But besides that, this post was just for me to see who believes what, because i was brought up with basically one view and really cant view any other as correct, so i just want to understand why other people believe another view and why. I also like talking about things that boggle the mind, some opinions are funny and some boggle the mind even more.

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT

Offline Chuck

• Soldier
  • Chuck P.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 03:22:09 pm »
Agreed. The Big Bang makes sense, but does contain several minor flaws. For instance, what exactly did cause such a massive expansion of matter and energy? Before that, what made that small little ball of everything (the thing that expanded)?

As for time, time had to start at one point. It is an extreme thing to just "think" about. It is as if time did infact begin at some point, but has always been around forever. This does not make sense, making it such a hard thing to comprehend.

As for a "greater being", what created such a thing? Is there someone or some thing greater than it? If so, how did the greater one get there, and if not, how did the being (some would say God) get there in the first place?

It is an ongoing debate that may never be proved, but if it is, it won't be for, perhaps thousands and thousands and thousands of years.

EDIT:
Quote from: KorrupT MerC
you said something that i couldnt word, hence why i left it out of my original post, if i remember correctly, the first organisms were some type of bacteria, and how is it that humans are the only intelligent life to spring from those bacteria which all life was supposed to derive from. Hence, why i believe humans had to exist seperate from animals, there is nothing out there like us, monkeys are the closest thing but they are still far from being able to compete with the human mind.

As Darwin's theory states, minor deformities can be for the better. Some might say that a little monkey sprouted up one day with the ability to think faster, or to have a better memory. Eventually, these minor details would add up to create something much smarter than the original animal itself, along with other deformities, to create the human race. I do not pay too much attention to religion, but I definitely think Darwin's theory of evolution makes perfect sense.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 03:28:16 pm by Chuck »
Are you 9 years old? Or is that just your mental age.
Favorite Wepons:
Ruger, Spas, M79, Barret, Steyr, Chainsaw, LAW, and Knife.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 03:26:02 pm »
You say that the big bang sounds far fetched, but some all powerful being made it in seven days is not?
According to my belief, no, it isn't. It takes just as much faith to believe that a large explosion created something as it does to have faith in an omnipotent, omniscient deity. The lack of empirical evidence for or against something causes the issue to become subjective, as personal experiences heavily affect your thoughts. I know that I've experienced Him in my life, that's why I have faith. I obviously have doubts, as I do right now because my life is almost in the shitter, but I still believe in him regardless.

Offline Chuck

• Soldier
  • Chuck P.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 03:31:40 pm »
I understand what your saying, twistkill. Life experiences can heavily affect your beliefs, along with the doubts you have in them.
Favorite Wepons:

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 03:32:41 pm »
For instance, what exactly did cause such a massive expansion of matter and energy?

Critical Mass. Once it's reached, kablooie.

Offline Chuck

• Soldier
  • Chuck P.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 03:35:46 pm »
For instance, what exactly did cause such a massive expansion of matter and energy?

Critical Mass. Once it's reached, kablooie.

Interesting... Even if we know that, what about all of the other "speed bumps" that exist for both beliefs?
Favorite Wepons:

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 03:36:45 pm »
I understand what your saying, twistkill. Life experiences can heavily affect your beliefs, along with the doubts you have in them.
In reality is not the experiences but how you react/learn from them that makes you who you are.
@ii

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 03:43:06 pm »
If existance without a "higher power" makes no sense to you, then why do you believe in something that had to begin from something? Realize, that existance makes no sense.

Its more like the whole religion is built into my head since i was forced to go to church ever since i can remember and all my family believe in God. Its just as if a kid was raised around murder/raping/etc. Most likely that kid will turn out to be one of those or very disturbed by it, its not really that they can control it, its just subconcious to them and thats really all they know to do.

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 03:50:59 pm »
I just cracked open a sciency magazine that says that ever since the cosmic microwave background was discovered, the Big Bang has been taken for fact.

Apparently before the Big Bang, there was no such thing as time, or matter. The Question "What came before the Big Bang" is outside the realm of science, according to this page, so I could be wrong about the Critical Mass bit.

It goes on the mention some large words like Grand Unification Epoch, and after which the universe started to expand, etc etc, and it sprinkled with a lot of messy physics.

Offline Chuck

• Soldier
  • Chuck P.
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 03:53:05 pm »

Its more like the whole religion is built into my head since i was forced to go to church ever since i can remember and all my family believe in God. Its just as if a kid was raised around murder/raping/etc. Most likely that kid will turn out to be one of those or very disturbed by it, its not really that they can control it, its just subconcious to them and thats really all they know to do.

I understand what you are saying. That is 100% correct. It may not even really be, down to business, a person's choice in their beliefs, but more of how they were brought up as a child/early teen.

In reality is not the experiences but how you react/learn from them that makes you who you are.

That is also true.  For example, If a kid is surrounded by happiness, he could become very greedy, while  poor child would think well of smaller things. This is not exactly on topic, but it supports what you're saying.
Favorite Wepons:

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 03:54:21 pm »

Only, you know, they're teaching the kid morals and how to live a good life instead of murder and raping...
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.