Author Topic: Two of me, but not...  (Read 1019 times)

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
Two of me, but not...
« on: July 15, 2006, 12:36:44 am »
  Ok. The weirdest thing just happened while I was playing in U13 CTF Public (It resulted in a ban... they thought I was hacking, but I was recording a demo for reference).

The previous round had just finished, and everything was fine, until the new map started and I spawned (b2b if anyone's wondering). I started to run down the slope, and I started popping around, like other people do when they're lagging, but it was on my screen.
  What's more, the soldier I was controlling was not me. He looked different, like a normal soldier, with plainer colours.

Now for the amusing(?) part. There was another me, which was all my colours, so evidently I was controlling the wrong soldier. But the really strange thing was that the real me followed almost every movement I made. I tried running around, jumping, shooting, jetting... and the real me followed everything I did.

Eventually someone did a vote kick, assuming i was hacking (which, I must admit, it does look rather like). So I tried to explain what was going on, but nothing I typed would appear in the chat area. So I stopped the demo, left the game, and tried to rejoin, hoping that would solve the problem.

Well, it probably would have... but... "You have been banned on this server." 8)

I uploaded the demo, so you can see it for yourself. It looks very similar to what I saw on my screen, and you can see what's going on.

edit: I just tried again... I'm not banned anymore... and the bug is gone 8)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 12:42:21 am by -Vis- »

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Lifeā„¢
Re: Two of me, but not...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 01:11:35 am »
I had this happen to me once on a zombie's server. For me, it was switching to the human side that caused it to bug up. Aparently I was also controlling some poor soul's character, with mine following behind. To all who saw the confrontation, it apeared to be a crazy person hitting himself.

The bug seems to happen every once in a while when you have both a laggy connection and a respawn. The only way to solve it, I've found, is to leave the game then come back.

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline Nicholas

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 02:12:31 am »
This happened to me at least three times on EnEsCe's dodgeball server. The first time it happened I noticed my guy was moving without me pushing any buttons. It was actually someone on the other team. Pretty soon I saw the message: "killed by (myname)"

I looked at the kill thing in the top right corner, and it said I killed the person who I was "stuck" on. So I was seeing everything from their point of view, even the "killed" message.

Somehow whenever he killed me, it would say that I killed him. He kept shouting "hacker!!" and I was just sitting there, very confused.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 02:15:14 am by Nicholas »

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 04:03:22 am »
This is a known bug, basically 2 people get assigned the same player slot and they can control each other. Just rejoin the game.