Author Topic: Bmps  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
Bmps
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:15:59 pm »
Why doesn't the forum support the most basic type of image format, Bmps? Like when I wanna post a screeny, I always have to save the screeny over from bmp. to png. Why doesn't the forum support it?

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Bmps
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:33:05 am »
it doesn't support it because it appears to have been left out of the allowed formats list by accident.  You really should convert it to jpg or png anyway since it is a smaller file and it'll take less time for you to upload it to the forums.

edit: I've added bmp as an allowed format, though I don't recommend using it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 02:35:49 am by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 04:26:30 am »
Really, really shouldn't use BMP, it's the worst format for the internet.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 06:08:32 am »
Why doesn't the forum support the most basic type of image format, Bmps? Like when I wanna post a screeny, I always have to save the screeny over from bmp. to png. Why doesn't the forum support it?
You do realize that bmp format can take ages to load? PNG, GIF and JPG is the best choice.

OBEY!!!

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 06:27:38 am »
Yeah, MS Paint can save a PNG, so there's hardly an excuse not to use that instead of BMP. Maybe BMP could be allowed within really tight size restrictions -- that might be useful for posting items from mods, actually.

Offline Serial K!ller

• Camper
    • Soldat Mods Archive
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 06:27:43 am »
use png's same quality but less size

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 10:56:18 am »
You do realize that bmp format can take ages to load? PNG, GIF and JPG is the best choice.
Bitmap is faster since it isn't really compressed at all, it just displays the pixels without reading them or whatever.

So I hear...
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 12:29:48 pm »
Decompression speed of JPGs and PNGs is negligible with modern computers. Much more time is taken downloading a BMP.

Flies and I talked about this today. BMPs weren't disabled by accident. They aren't suitable for the web and damage the experience for everyone. Maybe someday we'll implement an automatic conversion utility into the image uploader.
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 12:48:52 pm »
Decompression speed of JPGs and PNGs is negligible with modern computers. Much more time is taken downloading a BMP.

Flies and I talked about this today. BMPs weren't disabled by accident. They aren't suitable for the web and damage the experience for everyone. Maybe someday we'll implement an automatic conversion utility into the image uploader.

Precisely; I just compressed a random screenshot, and JPG got it down to 12K, and PNG to 52K. From a 900K source file. A 900K file would be murder to our 56K dialup members.

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 01:35:36 pm »
Bitmap is faster since it isn't really compressed at all, it just displays the pixels without reading them or whatever.

So I hear...

Probably.

It will make a diff if your doing it 50,000 times.

But the 2nd half has got to be true. Any time gained in rendering will be lost in downloading plus some.

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 02:22:41 pm »
Now I just don't understand your tech talk.

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 03:21:53 pm »
Now I just don't understand your tech talk.
Bitmaps render quicker than say, a Gif file because a gif file is a complicated compression that utilizes frames and other information that needs to be stored, bmps are just a collection of pixels.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 04:38:04 pm »
bmp is going to stay enabled due to the usefulness it has in the mapping and modding forums.  It should have always been enabled because of that.

Screenshots and other purposes that don't explicitly need BMP should always use png or jpeg.