Author Topic: Smoother movement  (Read 5160 times)

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
Re: Smoother movement
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 08:48:08 pm »
f12, but I think the saw will have to be nerfed.

Ya, because the Saw is already overpowered as it is, we don't need it to be stronger [/sarc]

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 11:19:49 am »
What would this be good for? For instance, you could move through maps much quicker once you do one proper grenade jump. You could also do wall-jumps, backflips and rapid rolls, allowing more advanced dodge manouvers or more fluent combat.

I see people "cannonballing" all the time, and I don't climb. It's quite easy, and not as unknown as you climbers seem to think. I bet half the people who play Soldat regularly worked it out for themselves when backflipping was first implemented.

i was just replying to demonics initial post. to me, everything that hes saying is already possible.
and sure, 'normal' players might do an occasional semi-accidental cannonball, but try beating the first jump in my map kz_5jumps for instance
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=16707.0

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 12:09:55 pm »
BombSki, you can get off the high horse. Trust me, as a clanner, I know very well how to move fast; this suggestion would make soldat's movement more advanced, hence new challanges could be made on climb maps for example. Have you ever played Warsow? The movement in that game is extremely awesome, and the best players can outrun missiles or make half-map-long leaps. Now wouldn't that be awesome in Soldat?

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 12:54:33 pm »
'normal' players might do an occasional semi-accidental cannonball, but try beating the first jump in my map kz_5jumps for instance
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=16707.0

Tried it, did it. The first jump is piss easy. Sorry to break it to ya, but cannonballing is nothing special.

El_Spec

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 07:22:39 pm »
Anything that improves gameplay I'm up for.

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 07:49:02 pm »
Demonic: in my opinion exactly everything you describe is already in soldat.
walljumps, backflips, rapid rolls, advanced manouvres? better players outrunning newbs? imo its all there. reason to increase/add movements? dunno, its still a shooter. imo its balanced as it is, and time could be spent on other things.

@vis: u tried the other ones too? ;)

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 08:53:54 pm »
@vis: u tried the other ones too? ;)

No... do they also involve nothing more than a cannonball? That was the topic of discussion, after all. ;)

There's no point in me completing that map. It's not the least bit fun trying to perform pre-defined stunts that require lots of attempts to master (aside from cannonballing, which is easy), because there's simply no use for them. I'm speaking mainly of jump number 2 (I think), where you have a small n-shaped gap to jump over, without touching the walls.

If I played the map for long enough, I would undoubtedly finish it from beginning to end. And the only thing I would gain from it is the knowledge required to complete it, which is useless to me. Normal CTF/DM/other gametypes don't require me to make perfectly planned movements through tunnels of death.

I still want to see wallflips implemented. :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 08:56:12 pm by -Vis- »

Offline Chainsaw Jimmy

• Major(1)
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 10:49:36 pm »
this would rule... 

stop baggin on the saw.. its not the issue if everyone can do this then dodging sawers would be easier

Offline Zeating

• Soldier
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 11:28:22 pm »
This sounds more like Gunz-The duel. But still a good idea, i would love to be able to wall jump :D

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 01:14:26 pm »

This sounds more like Gunz-The duel. But still a good idea, i would love to be able to wall jump :D
You can wall jump if you're good enough.

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 01:30:38 pm »
You can wall jump if you're good enough.
Show me.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 04:36:11 pm »
Anyone can walljump. But it's impossible to do it if the angle makes the wall a ceeling rather than floor... geez I can't word it properly.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2007, 04:59:17 pm »
So anyone is good enough. Thinkto urself should have said that "You can't wall jump if you are good enough". It takes skill to be that bad you can't jump.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2007, 06:29:47 pm »
I overlooked this thread. In order to implement the "smoother" movement, there would have to be compensation for every small "advancement", resulting in the entire physics engine having to be re-written, reverting Soldat back to version 0.1.0. Another few years would be needed for new bug-fixes resulting.

The current physics engine is pretty advanced and is pretty much HALF of Soldat. Players would have to re-learn how to maneuver properly. If this happened, then for the first time in gaming history, a noob could kick a pro's ass, since well, a pro or long time player being acustomed to the old physics/movement would have break old habits and reactions. A new player, not having played older versions wouldn't have these habits, skills, etc. So, a new player wouldn't have trouble with old habits/reactions. Despite, I know what you're getting at, this idea was not thought through, pretty much like "knife-blocking" (which, I am unfortunately, the author of.. >.<)

F11'd with a sledgehammer.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2007, 06:55:30 pm »
Anyone can walljump. But it's impossible to do it if the angle makes the wall a ceeling rather than floor... geez I can't word it properly.

\
  \  i     -possible

/
/  i       - not possible :P

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 01:39:31 pm »
I overlooked this thread. In order to implement the "smoother" movement, there would have to be compensation for every small "advancement", resulting in the entire physics engine having to be re-written, reverting Soldat back to version 0.1.0. Another few years would be needed for new bug-fixes resulting.

The current physics engine is pretty advanced and is pretty much HALF of Soldat. Players would have to re-learn how to maneuver properly. If this happened, then for the first time in gaming history, a noob could kick a pro's ass, since well, a pro or long time player being acustomed to the old physics/movement would have break old habits and reactions. A new player, not having played older versions wouldn't have these habits, skills, etc. So, a new player wouldn't have trouble with old habits/reactions. Despite, I know what you're getting at, this idea was not thought through, pretty much like "knife-blocking" (which, I am unfortunately, the author of.. >.<)

F11'd with a sledgehammer.

On the contrary, before 1.2.0, the physics were a bit more loose on soldiers grabbing terrain, and in some version you could even run up some small walls. This wouldn't need a complete rewrite of the code, only some additions to it, like the speed value being remembered and re-added to your movement if you pull the right move.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2007, 03:18:39 pm »
Good idea imho, it will add something to soldat...