Poll

Is it okay to mic. with your teammates during a game of soldat?

Yes, obviously. It's up to you.
26 (78.8%)
No. It's the same as ghosting.
2 (6.1%)
F*CK YOU, I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME! (I have no opinion on this)
5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Teamspeak vs. Ghosting? :O  (Read 3036 times)

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Teamspeak vs. Ghosting? :O
« on: July 15, 2006, 11:46:01 am »
Hello again fellow forumers.
Yesterday I found myself once again paralyzed by the catching, addictive toxic that is soldat. I played with a good friend of mine, and we Skyped meanwhile. This proved to be a major advantage, and some of you may even claim it to be cheating, or even ghosting :O
I don't give a damn, none the less, and I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a better program than skype, since it takes quite hard on me FPS and it tends to become a little unstabile.

[2 seconds later...]While i was writing this, it suddently occured to me. Why not make a poll on this, and get it settled once and for all. Is it really okay to skype/teamspeak/msn speak(or whatever), when it is so ill seen upon to 'ghost', fx.?
What do you think?

Thanks,
echo_trail
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 11:47:48 am by echo_trail »
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Cold Fusion

• Major(1)
    • The Next League
Re: Teamspeak vs. Ghosting? :O
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 11:50:07 am »
TS/vent etc is often used in clanwars, as long as only the players playing are using it, i.e. not specs.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 11:56:13 am »
I see your point. technically, this can't harm anymore than a good load of commands, but it's still way more effective.

We'd usually attack together, me friend and I, and he'd grab the flag and I'd stay back to fight off persuiting enemies. As I died, and I usually did, I'd be able to tell him what route the enemy'd be taking, what weapons they'd have and exactly which enemies were after him. This came in hande very much, and I actually believe we won a few matches because of that.

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 12:22:34 pm »
Mics beat taunts any day, so long as they are under control.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 12:48:05 pm »
What's ghosting, exactly?

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 12:49:47 pm »

Pinpointing the enemies' locations while you're dead.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 12:54:47 pm »
Ohhhhh. That sounds stupid.

However, using teamspeak whilst alive is alright by me.

Offline pero

• Major
  • [SaD] #fragbait
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 01:15:59 pm »

Wrong. Maybe in r/s but otherwise is specating a game and telling one team via teamspeak, ventrilo or whatever and tell where the enemies are etc.
My clan uses ventrilo all the time and when someone spectates, hes usually in ventrilo with us, but hes just silent, we dont want to lower ourselves to the level of those noob ghosting clans.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 01:40:45 pm »
teamspeak is great, for all of my reasons why teamspeak is good and ventrilo is evil, see this thread: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=862.0

even in R/S, I don't think ghosting will be that big of an issue, especially nowhere as big of a problem as ghosting is in CS, just due to the nature of Soldat.

Anyone who wants decent and fun Soldat games will have the common sense not to ghost while on TS
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 01:42:58 pm by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 02:11:01 pm »
So what you're saying, FLaB, is that ghosting is basically allowed, and people should just decide for themselfs wether it ruins the fun or not? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have to disagree. I myself don't find ghosting appropiate. I'll agree with you in any other situation but in R/S.. And when spectating offcourse. It's obviously not as much of an issue in normal mode as in realistic, since  realistic is mostly about about the advantage of your enemy not being able to see you, and vice versa(is it spelled like that?). If your enemy can, all of a sudden, see and predict your actions, you lose great potential.
The enemy, given this advantage, will be able to organise his team, and insert attacks on where your vulnerable. So can everyone through chat, offcourse, but it's not half as effective as TS, I should think.
Well, you can allways ask yourself, is this a real issue? I mean, how many does actually use this anyway. But still, there's some to it, I think.

EDIT: By the way, I'm fully backing you up in people should just settle down, and play fair, since it's basically what we all get the most fun out of. However, it figures that some people are willing to ruin that fun, just for the sake of a good score(in case of hacking, as an examble), or perhaps just for the chance to say, "I can...". Due to this, I think it is worth discussing this otherwise slightly irrelevant matter.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 02:13:42 pm by echo_trail »

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 06:18:10 pm »
I'm not saying that it is appropriate, I think it isn't.

I'm just saying that I don't think ghosting is as common as people make it out to be.  It obviously ruins the fun when it does happen though

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 06:05:26 am »
Me and a fellow clanmate do this all the time. Though we don't call it ghosting, we call it spying. In my opinion, its part of the game. Just like weapon abusage, it happens, and you can whine all you want, but it won't stop. My clan uses Teamspeak most of the time, and I have to say it makes one hell of a difference in the gameplay, especially with the R/S. I find soldat very realistic, and so I play the same as what I'd do if I was a real Soldier. Who would honestly in real life, go running at a sniper with a M9????? nobody! This game requires tactics to make the expirience more worthwhile. thats why R/S is good, and honestly, what soldier wouldn't have radio communication?
I totally support ghosting/spying, and I think there is no cheating/hacking around it!
Just another soul to burn.

Offline Nylo

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 09:56:14 am »

I agree with Bone Collector; it happens.  It's a part of the game.  It only really becomes an issue when it comes down to 1v1 on a survival ctf match and one person chooses to camp it out.  But even then, it's part of the game.

I've got no problems with ghosting/spying. 
"I do not kill with my gun.  He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his Father.
...I aim with my mind. 
...I kill with my heart." 

--Stephen King
                                                          The Dark Tower III

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 11:46:18 am »
Well, me neither, but apearently everyone else does. That's why I wanna know if people consider TS another kind'o spying. Appearently it's concideret to be equal ordinare chatting. And with good reason, you ccan still only report what you see in those 5 seconds while you're dead 'till you respawn. No change there, I just think it's a hell of alot more effective, that's all.

Offline Denacke

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • Cake!
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 11:52:19 am »
I'm in the admin staff of The Next League and we disallow players to use voice communication when being a spectator.

The playing soldateers on the other hand, are allowed to use it. Nothing wrong with having a better communication in a clanwar.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 12:04:03 pm »

Wrong. Maybe in r/s but otherwise is specating a game and telling one team via teamspeak, ventrilo or whatever and tell where the enemies are etc.
My clan uses ventrilo all the time and when someone spectates, hes usually in ventrilo with us, but hes just silent, we dont want to lower ourselves to the level of those noob ghosting clans.

technically you're dead when you spec... so he wasn't all that wrong  :P

anyway, people yell at me a lot for 'spying' in r/s games.  If you do that with a mike that'd be even worse.  However I don't have anything against it really...
Can't think of anything original to put here...