Author Topic: Tips on increasing movement speed  (Read 5564 times)

Offline `ShokTrooper

• Major(1)
Tips on increasing movement speed
« on: December 22, 2007, 07:26:07 pm »
lol first 1st post
The title really says it all.....im having trouble living up to my name :-[

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
Re: Tips on increasing movement speed
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 07:40:57 pm »
don't hold down the jump key while holding down the direction, it is much faster to tap the jump key while holding down the directional key.
Lol, internets.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 07:43:50 pm »
don't hold down the jump key while holding down the direction, it is much faster to tap the jump key while holding down the directional key.
holding the jump key doesn't do anything, it just jumps once.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 07:55:43 pm »
Jump alot, try not to jet at all, backflips are nice...
@ii

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 08:12:03 pm »
holding the jump key doesn't do anything, it just jumps once.
No i mean people hold down the up key while running in a direction to gain speed, you gain much more speed if you tap it while running in a direction.
Lol, internets.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 08:27:42 pm »
You mean skipping?
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 08:35:28 pm »
You mean skipping?
Meh, whatever you want to call it, it's the faster then just walking.
Lol, internets.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 08:36:32 pm »
ALWAYS jump before you jet.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 08:39:04 pm »
Time your skips according to the terrain (i.e if there is a bump, have your skip accelerate your Soldat off the slope rather than 'stumble' over the bump).
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline theSTATWHORE

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 02:13:37 am »
When I go fast I use timed backrolls and a lot of tapping the up arrow. Consider the angles of what you're running on and use corners if you need to bounce yourself if you can time it well enough.

Offline Kavukamari

• Camper
  • 3.14159265358979, mmm... pi
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 02:52:41 am »
try not to jump after a roll, as it stops your guy for a second
"Be mindful of fame, show a mighty courage, watch against foes. Nor shalt thou lack what thou desirest, if with thy life thou hast comest out from that heroic task."

Offline Sydow

• Major(1)
  • tchutchu.
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 02:56:54 am »
Hit polys and do fast backflips.

Offline `ShokTrooper

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 12:41:06 pm »
Jump alot, try not to jet at all, backflips are nice...

Thx ill try that

try not to jump after a roll, as it stops your guy for a second

who would jump after they roll :S

Good Advice so far but it think it more has to do with practice than anything else

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 01:36:37 pm »
Use grenade jumps. The best spots for this are colliders: boxes which you can hide behind because they block your bullets also make grenades explode instantly. Practice throwing your grenades just after you passed one of these, it will give you a huge speed boost.

Backflips also give you quite a notch of speed if you execute them correctly. The trick is that if you jump backwards and keep the up key pressed, you can tap your jet to do a roll in the air. If you do this right, you can do horizontal flips, otherwise known as a 'cannonball'. Good for making huge jumps over the enemy or risky terrain.

Master the basic things, like starting off fast from landings, going superman ( prone+jet in the air ), and kick-jumps ( tap jump as much as you can on hills, then do one big jump at the end of the slope for some added speed ).

Offline `ShokTrooper

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 12:12:38 pm »
Good advice keep it comin       n_n

Offline Iron Man

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 01:02:24 pm »
when jumping down hilly terrain with bumps, attempt to land on the very tip of a ledge and roll off it

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 01:29:35 pm »
know thy map, You can time your jumps so that you don't slow down when you land.

Offline btfx

• Major
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 03:55:46 pm »
Use grenade jumps. The best spots for this are colliders: boxes which you can hide behind because they block your bullets also make grenades explode instantly. Practice throwing your grenades just after you passed one of these, it will give you a huge speed boost.
Best tip^^ Try M79 at first, then move to grenades

Also, nobody has mentioned shooting the minigun to the back! If you are being persued (CTF) you not only go faster, but slowly drain HP.

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 04:35:46 pm »
Nade boosts and m79 jumps make you lose HP, usually they are a waste of time.

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 07:16:20 pm »
If you time the grenade throw, and throw it just before the box/barrack/etc. you only wipe off like 1/6 of your health, it's worth it once you shoot towards the efc and nail him.
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline btfx

• Major
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 07:48:03 pm »
Nade boosts and m79 jumps make you lose HP, usually they are a waste of time.
I disagree, you can save lots of time by scoring instead of getting killed and having to get into the enemy base. Even when you think there's nobody behind you, better safe than sorry. It is usually a waste outside of INF and CTF.

Offline `ShokTrooper

• Major(1)
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2007, 01:05:02 pm »
know thy map, You can time your jumps so that you don't slow down when you land.

Easy said then done
Best tip^^ Try M79 at first, then move to grenades

Also, nobody has mentioned shooting the minigun to the back! If you are being persued (CTF) you not only go faster, but slowly drain HP.

Ya nade boosts are helping me alot but i would never use a minigun .... never!!

like i said before its practice practice practice but learning better ways to do sumthing never hurts......keep um comin!!!!!

Offline btfx

• Major
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2007, 05:42:05 pm »
...but i would never use a minigun .... never!!
Ehh... Why? Sometimes server admins tell me to stop, and I do, but I don't see why you wouldn't want the extra speed...

Offline `ShokTrooper

• Major(1)
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 12:05:01 pm »
using a minigun primary and a saw secondary looks ineffective and im not a lamer :|

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 01:49:42 pm »
Minigun sucks balls for anything aside from movement and lagging up the server. It's combat use it below that of any given secondary. Use a spas if anything, at least it can do some damage.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 01:52:54 pm »

Easy said then done
So you're just not gonna do it? It is easy to do and with practice you will be able to do it naturally. If you choose not take a-4-year-old's advice, then don't except any improvement. Timing your jumps is an essential for speed.

And the minigun is not for lamers. If you play in pubs, then you probably just see noobs spewing useless bullets everywhere - But in the experienced realm of Soldat players utilize the powerful push in ways you could not imagine. If you really detest the minigun, you can still use the Spas.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline `ShokTrooper

• Major(1)
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 03:45:14 pm »
Of course  im going to do  it James im just saying its hard for me right now and i need practice which i say in most of my posts if u go back and read it :P jk

rly, i would never use a minigun in a real game and i just dont like the spas that much but thats me

Offline btfx

• Major
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 05:41:10 pm »
Minigun def sucks ass as a weapon, but if you drade your 2ndary for a real gun, it can be a great speed booster, the reason I'm insisting is because I once played against a guy who used this tactic *extremely* effectively. It was either a 2v2 or 3v3 game and he just kept scoring with that thing. The increases speed really catches people off guard, nobody on my team could snipe him because we weren't used to it.

Edit: I bet you recall when you were a newbie player, or playing on a map you didn't know well, and you got the flag, but some pro caught up to you and got it back, the minigun totally eliminates that factor.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 05:43:36 pm by btfx »

Offline `ShokTrooper

• Major(1)
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 06:36:28 pm »
cool!!!!!!!!!Which map were u on any way when I see a minigun I see a free kill :D ........I guess that guys teammates were rushing ahead to clear the way but I would of killed him b4 he got to our flag. It rly depends on the map

Offline Eclipse

• Soldier
  • :D
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 06:59:54 pm »
Poly Bug Usually gives the speed of a Nade boost.
All teh Piezors Shall beh Minezors!

Offline CriminalJoe

• Major
  • Anti-Sober
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 08:44:03 pm »
heres some tips that have been unsaid, from the fastest runner in soldat: ME  [retard]

while falling, go prone and fly. KARAZAY useful

if u play TW:
when you are trying to get over an object thats to high to long jump but unessesary to high flip it or kick-jump do this. long-jump facing backwards a couple yards away from your mark while keeping the jump button down. when u get a foot away from the obstacle, tap fly fast u can and you will flip over the obstacle.

this move is used in the same situation, but you lose no very little momentum while doing it:
run while long jumping for maximum speed and then backflip immediately when u land. for this to work you have to press the flip and jump button pretty fast (not too fast or ull just roll lamely). you dont have to do this right after a jump, but it works best like that.

if your running through a passege thats close to the hight of your soldat, long jump out of it. thier is a biiig chance u will shoot out of it from polybug.

if your trying to get up to a ledge above you: jump forward, and while holding the jump button switch directional keys and back flip. face the way you jumped forward during the whole maneuver. this is alot easier then it sounds and is CRAZY useful. great map to use this with: ctf_kampf on the top right side.

this next maneuver is super hard and u need to be pretty skilled to do it. ive only seen a couple people do this before besides my self. its hard to find a real use for this one tho, but yea it looks pretty rad
Gainer: on a downward or upward slope (not to steep) do short jumps while running. while ur at a fast speed, do a back flip but press the buttons FAST. works best off of a polybug.

thats all i can think of that haven't been said for now...
oughta keep ya real busy tho
ZOMIFGZ DONT FEED THE ZOMBORGZ!!!!!@@!!121@!@!!21!@!!111!one!!!1@!21!@

Offline `ShokTrooper

• Major(1)
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2008, 07:57:12 pm »
lol good advice but i actually know everything up until the gainer ive been playing for a 1 year but my standards (killing 10 ppl without losing health ):D...im a noob :X

but the gainer .....  :o i think ive done that at but alot slower speed

good advice any way

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 02:13:03 am »
to do a cannonball like demonic said you do a backflip without touching 'w' u will do a horizontal flip and go really fast.

Date Posted: January 03, 2008, 08:10:17 pm
Criminal joe: The gainer is basically a kickjump and backflip combined and if u go on climbwar servers u will see it alot.

Come to think of it, Shok, play on climb servers (unless u hate them) u can learn how your soldat moves and is handy in normal soldat games
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Tactical Sniper

• Soldier
  • I'm the only reason to be afraid of Canada!
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 11:12:41 am »
Bunnyhop its simple.  Also, save your jets for when you realy need them (like when running with low health from an angry minigun user).

Offline Oxyd

• Major(1)
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 03:58:49 pm »

Gainer: on a downward or upward slope (not to steep) do short jumps while running. while ur at a fast speed, do a back flip but press the buttons FAST. works best off of a polybug.

This one is my favorite, which i like to call a triple jump, since i always do two short and one straight up jump   ;D I find it useful on many maps. And it is not necessary to make a back flip. I only do back flip, when i need to go straight up, while running forward fast.

Oh by the way i use it also to run fast forward. Simply landing and tapping at the right time on those slopes. This is alternative method for that polygon bug use.

Anyway a good combo of few horizontal back flips in a row is the best for me. Saved my ass many times from grenades and m79 from above.  :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 04:02:55 pm by Oxyd »

Offline pinOi32

• Camper
  • "Bravo kid's bad day"
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2008, 11:39:43 pm »
if u see a barret user trying to shoot at u, run towards them, and at the last moment, backflip into the air and shoot them in the FACE!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:41:55 pm by pinOi32 »
Pls use my amazing interface:
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=27584

I WIN!!

WHY MY KARMA SUCK??

Offline Eclipse

• Soldier
  • :D
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 12:20:31 am »
Lawl. With snipers i superman them, then i let go of my jets and they miss, roffle. :D
All teh Piezors Shall beh Minezors!

Offline MRH

• Major(1)
  • Lava lamp
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 01:42:44 am »
spas boost, roll, and lots'o jets
Dear Michael,

Thank you for registering Soldat.
It's great that you like the game.

SHOOP DA WOOP

The above phrase sequence is your unique registration phrase (if it is missing contact me at e-mail below).

noshoopstowoop@shoopingnetwork.com

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 12:33:43 pm »
cannonball and nade boost are probably the best moving skills. however I cannot use either ones of those at will...yet..

I dont get cannonball. so random.
Always remember the succubus...

Offline btfx

• Major
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2008, 10:44:31 pm »
You mean backflip? If so read the manual.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 11:30:01 pm »
just backflip without touching 'w', or (i'm not sure) tap 'w'
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs