Author Topic: .m3u Playlists /album art  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Sinfil

• Major(1)
    • Laughing Man Underground
.m3u Playlists /album art
« on: December 28, 2007, 03:29:04 pm »
I've read through most of the topics that came up when I searched for "m3u", and I've been having a similar experience - random songs will play on my m3u playlists in Soldat.

Yes, I'm registered, yes, they're all mp3.

What I found, though, was that the mp3s WITH album art won't play. All of my songs that don't have album art supported (recognized) in wmp play in Soldat, while ones that do have album art are skipped (Soldat tries to play them, but can't and then switches to the next song)

As I prefer album art for use with my mp3 player, I'd like to keep my mp3s the way they are.

I haven't tried any fan apps for creating m3u playlists yet (I will after this post), but I'd just thought I'd let you know about my little observation...

Offline JupiterShadow

• Camper
  • MS Paint + Adobe Lighting effects FTW!
    • 55274-640-8484137-23948
Re: .m3u Playlists /album art
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 09:58:37 pm »
umm i think your wrong. most of my songs have album art and they play.

El_Spec

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 01:44:39 pm »
Its not a matter of the album art or the song information.  Its the files itself.  Soldat can't play some Mp3s because they are either in a format it can't read or they aren't compressed. 

Some songs just can never be played because the file is corrupted, although it really isn't, Soldat seems to think that.  For the file compression, you can download and use any tool used to compress files, but use one for Mp3s.  Even if you try these methods and the file still will not play, that's tough luck then.

I don't know if this will help, but you can try this playlist creator designed for Soldat.

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 03:44:17 pm »
Half of my songs didn't work as well. It just skipped them. Boten Anna, Shapeshifter, etc...

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 04:52:37 pm »
I believe VBR mp3s might not be supported, only CBR.

Offline Sinfil

• Major(1)
    • Laughing Man Underground
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 11:35:09 pm »
All of my songs are 128 kbps CBR mp3s. All of them.

I use iTunes primarily, since I have an iPod, and like the interface overall as compared to any other media player. I've been on iTunes for a long time (I haven't bought any songs, just as a small point), and before they got the auto-album art finder, I went to amazon and saved jpgs of album art, and then applied them to the album.
Recently, I've been deleting the jpgs in favor of the iTunes store's higher-rez art that you can get by just right clicking on an album/song.
The thing is though, windows media player won't recognize this newly imported album art, as it's applied somehow differently.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the album art that I applied myself from my own saved jpgs are saved the the id3 tags? I dunno at all, just a guess.

So, bottom line:

When I added all of my music to the windows media player library, it only recognized album art on the albums that I had applied it to myself, not through the iTunes store widget thing. And, after much trial and error, the only mp3s that won't play in Soldat playlists are the ones that I applied album art to manually in iTunes.

Edit: About half of my songs have album art that I saved from the internet and manually applied, and the other half have album art that I've gotten directly through iTunes.

It's not a major problem, it's just something that I find really odd.