Author Topic: I have a problem...  (Read 1138 times)

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
I have a problem...
« on: January 15, 2008, 12:19:58 pm »
i have a problem with my PC.
When i turn it. Appears the windows screen and then a blue screen and in in white: windows has been restarted by an error. (then some options that i can do, restart it again and disable the BIOS's memory)

What i can do? How hell i do that my PC returns to work normally?
Now I'm on my laptop

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
Re: I have a problem...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 12:29:58 pm »
You're posting from another computer obviously, so i suggest you download another operating system like Ubuntu and simply see if you can run the live cd.  I'm not saying convert to Linux (you can if you want though), I'm just suggesting you see if you can eliminate Windows as the problem.  If you can boot into Ubuntu with no problems, while you're running the live cd, backup your important files and such, and then reformat with Windows.  This is my suggestion, at least.
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 12:32:40 pm »
I=ll try... but in ubuntu works games like battlefield, soldat or wolfestein?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 12:57:07 pm »
I=ll try... but in ubuntu works games like battlefield, soldat or wolfestein?

Did you read his post?  He's saying to try booting the live cd to verify that your system is stable/working, not use it permanently.  Boot off the live cd and do other things like browse the Internet and such for a while.  See if it works fine.  If it does, it means that this is most likely a problem with Window.  If it doesn't work fine and crashes/freezes, you probably have a hardware problem

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 01:47:38 pm »
ok thanks FLAB... lock if you want, thanks for the idea Sethamundo

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:53:01 pm »
Also I suggest, just to be on the safe side, that when you've booted up in Ubuntu and you've backed up anything important try defragmenting your hard drive.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 01:57:15 pm »
Also I suggest, just to be on the safe side, that when you've booted up in Ubuntu and you've backed up anything important try defragmenting your hard drive.

defragmenting never help solve problems aside from performance issues.  In the event that this is a hardware problem (more specifically a hard drive problem), defragmenting it can make the problem worse

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 02:55:15 pm »

So yeah, like I said...

Also I suggest, just to be on the safe side, that when you've booted up in Ubuntu and you've backed up anything important, do not try defragmenting your hard drive.

:P ?
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Rhombus

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 05:58:39 pm »
he probably means formatting... that helps :p. I used to have this cd that helps format and reinstall windows... I used that every few months.. my pc was crap back then. Anyway, if you can boot it on ubuntu without problems, you should try to reinstall windows somehow...

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 06:50:13 am »
formated it... now it works ok. but it happened me 3 times the last mouth... and sometimes in the laptop but i f restart it works normal... what is? I saw that there were some numbers and 'x'...

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 10:38:44 am »
3 times in the last month?

Definitely sounds like a damaged or faulty hard drive.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 01:02:11 pm »
3 times in the last month?

Definitely sounds like a damaged or faulty hard drive.

indeed.

Boot off a Linux livecd (I recommend Ubuntu or Knoppix), open a terminal.  Run "badblocks -nvs /dev/sda" and let that run.  It will take up to a day or two, though it may take as little as an hour or two. 

If this outputs any bad sectors/blocks, your hard drive is failing.  There are other tools to do this, but usually there are separate ones for each hard drive manufacturer.  This one will work for all hard drives.

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 02:12:36 pm »
Some months ago i bought a new pc, well because some parts failed... but the guy of the shop putted new things changing other that they worked perfectly, it happened several times so my brother (works on PC Business) told me that i should contact that man, its a good idea?