Author Topic: Gravity - Best idea ever  (Read 3918 times)

Offline btfx

• Major
Gravity - Best idea ever
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:38:16 am »
EDIT: Some people didn't get my idea, it's not to make "Realistic earth-like gravity, but custom gravity. For example check out this potential map. The more saturated the color, the stronger the gravity. White = no gravity. Blue and red represent bases (respectively) Green represent just plain old gravity. So each base would have normal gravity that got weaker as you climbed out of the base, until there was none at all, and then gravity would start pulling in the opposite direction, stronger and stronger. . there would also be some places to stop - the green spots. Of course, this map doesn't represent the whole idea (people would sit in the middle (green spots) and shoot the crap out of the enemy base. But for saw&law, it would be fun.

How about a custom gravity system, like making downward gravity stronger or weaker, or making grav points/lines. The possibilities would be endless.

Also, since this is really awesome, and someone might actually implement it, I wouldn't limit it it F=(G*m1*m2)/(d^2), linear functions, and trig operations would be really cool.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:16:11 pm by btfx »

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
Re: Gravity - Best idea ever
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:00:14 am »
Yeah, it's pretty cool and been suggested before, but it takes too much coding i think, as the physics engine is inbuilt with the actual game itself so you'd basically be remaking the game aswell i think.
Lol, internets.

Offline Katelyn

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:31:42 am »
The gravity is unrealistic right now lol.
You can jump like 5 times your height.
Just make the gravity stronger. :x
Current Clan: |BTK|
 [Barret] [AUG] [AK74] [socom] [law]

Offline btfx

• Major
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 10:03:53 am »
Yeah, now it's more like the moon than the Earth. Right now as I understand it's a constant accel on all particles. This would mean each particle has to calculate it's own gravity. Which would be MUCH more CPU intensive. Also there would be the question of orientation. Still, I can't help but dream of putting those HK shots into orbit.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 12:17:27 pm »
You mean - gravity affecting bullets? NO. F11 ftw.
Affecting only soldier ... for climb maps, maybe.

Offline Hershey

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 06:41:41 pm »
Totally love the idea.

Good for TW...

P.S. Gravity works best for 1ST person 3d games, with no jets.

Awesome idea

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 06:57:50 pm »
I think the jump height is fine, if u wanna change is so the grav is realistic, why not make all the guns realistic oh, oh, and... destructible terrain. F11
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 06:59:12 pm »
Yeah, realism for the sake of realism. F11. Not necessary.
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 07:36:51 pm »
F11, also, it's not the best idea ever, and if you're going to say that, where a flame-retardant suit.

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline Iq Unlimited

• Flagrunner
  • mr. foobar2000
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 07:46:40 pm »
f11, if you change the gravity engine everything that climbers have built goes to the trashcan.

Offline btfx

• Major
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 07:58:35 pm »
I don't think you guys get it. This isn't for realism. This is so you can make more custom maps. You could make a map of circular "planets", or a giant circle where everyone is pulled away from the center. Or one big planet with a series of tunnels. You could have a ctf map where each base is a point of gravity, so you have go up, up, up and then fall doooown to get to the other base.

Realistic gravity is not the point, though it is a possibility.

Also, like I said, you could have gravity get stronger and stronger as you pull away from a mass, so staying down low would make you light, but flying too high would make you fall back down.

The possibilities are what make variable gravity so awesome.

As for the climbers, this would open up so many possibilities. You could have "classic" maps with a simple constant downward force, or you could have a map with more advanced climbing, where you had to slingshot around masses, and avoid black holes.

This doesn't mean that all previous maps "go down the trashcan", it means that new maps can allow for more radical gameplay. Like putting a turret in empty space, but the turret has very high gravity. So people would fight for control over it. Trust me, I wouldn't be defending this idea so fiercely unless I really believed that Soldat could be tonnes more fun with it.

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 08:06:22 pm »
Look toward Halo 3 for enlightenment.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 12:08:48 pm by Thinkto urself »

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline Iq Unlimited

• Flagrunner
  • mr. foobar2000
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 08:06:33 pm »
I don't think you guys get it. This isn't for realism. This is so you can make more custom maps. You could make a map of circular "planets", or a giant circle where everyone is pulled away from the center. Or one big planet with a series of tunnels. You could have a ctf map where each base is a point of gravity, so you have go up, up, up and then fall doooown to get to the other base.

Also, like I said, you could have gravity get stronger and stronger as you pull away from a mass, so staying down low would make you light, but flying too high would make you fall back down.

The possibilities are what make variable gravity so awesome.

As for the climbers, this would open up so many possibilities. You could have "classic" maps with a simple constant downward force, or you could have a map with more advanced climbing, where you had to slingshot around masses, and avoid black holes.

This doesn't mean that all previous maps "go down the trashcan", it means that new maps can allow for more radical gameplay. Like putting a turret in empty space, but the turret has very high gravity. So people would fight for control over it. Trust me, I wouldn't be defending this idea so fiercely unless I really believed that Soldat could be tonnes more fun with it.

...thats a gigantic chunk of code thats never going to be made. This idea has now been dismissed.

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 08:09:22 pm »
where you had to slingshot around masses, and avoid black holes.
Someone's been playing a bit too much mario galaxy.
And think of how hard it would be to make those maps.
Lol, internets.

Offline btfx

• Major
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 08:27:22 pm »
Now that I think of it, it is a lot like what I've seen from Mario Galaxy (no wii for me). And the outwards gravity is kinda like halo if that's what you meant (no xbox either).

But to argue against maps being harder to make. Not really.
To start - you could just add points of "simple" gravity. Like with the planets idea, each point would be at the center, and teh strength would be adjusted so that it was approx the same on the surface of each planet.

Than you could do more abstract ideas, but still very simle, like a "plane" of gravity, which radiates it in one direction, perpendicular to the plane, or a "box" where gravity is constant in one direction (like regular maps). Combinig those three ideas could make a mp like the one shown in the first post.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 09:50:05 pm »
Ive always wanted to experiment with the Gravity in Soldat, so there is a chance this may one day appear in Soldat, but certainly wont be anytime too soon.
[spoiler]The next version will, however, have SOME customization regarding Gravity.[/spoiler]

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 12:30:33 am »
Ive always wanted to experiment with the Gravity in Soldat, so there is a chance this may one day appear in Soldat, but certainly wont be anytime too soon.
[spoiler]The next version will, however, have SOME customization regarding Gravity.[/spoiler]
:O A SPOILER!!!!

AWESOME!
Well, As for the topic, everyone's already covered most of it, But i was curious, With the gravity nodes(For lack of a better word) would the bullets fall towards the center of the node, Say if i placed one on the roof and fired past it, would the bullet fall upwards?
Lol, internets.

Offline ghg

• Camper
  • Village Idiot
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 02:45:31 am »
This would require a complete rewrite of almost all the game, you won't be getting anything more than gravity strength methinks.
-=Gradius wuz you=-

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 04:47:59 am »
will you have my babies?

I'm really looking forward to some gravity customisation possibilites, think it'd work great for some subgamemodes and maybe sligthly tweaking the overall gravity effects.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 05:43:21 pm »
It wouldn't be hard to script, hell, I have scripted something similar in GM.