Poll

Do you play or could you play with widescreen monitor?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Widescreen vs 4:3  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Matso

• Major(1)
Widescreen vs 4:3
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:11:25 am »
I have widescreen monitor(actually tv..), and i tried soldat, and it looked awful in 4:3 and two black bars in both sides. I searched something about this from forum, and found something. Many people are complaining that it would be unfair to have widescreen resolutions available. My opinion is that it would be also unfair to have 4:3 resolutions, if I would play in widescreen... then 4:3 players see more vertically!

So I ask: Do you have normal or widescreen monitor? If there is near 50% possible widescreen players, we really should have widescreen support! And if you even have a widescreen monitor in your house, and you maybe would play with it, vote yes!

Sorry about my bad english, I hope you anyway understood.

Offline poopdogg

• Camper
  • Graffiti 4 ever
Re: Widescreen vs 4:3
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 07:22:59 am »
i don't play soldat w/ wide screen anymore coz ....i cant chat IRC well......coz if u minimize it it'll take too long(on my comp how about urs?) besides i luv when soldat is not on wide screen

(Sorry if I am unintelligent, since the knowledge I have only comes from a school text book...)

Offline Matso

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:27:34 am »
i don't play soldat w/ wide screen anymore coz ....i cant chat IRC well......coz if u minimize it it'll take too long(on my comp how about urs?) besides i luv when soldat is not on wide screen
But this is not comparison between fullscreen and windowed mode. Im asking which one would you prefer if you play in fullscreen mode.

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:30:40 am »
I had widescreen laptops a while back and Soldat was impossible to play fullscreen. I usually played windowed as it wasnt as stretched. You can play soldat wide screen (it stretches across your screen and ends up looking squashed) but I don't reccommend it.
Just another soul to burn.

Offline poopdogg

• Camper
  • Graffiti 4 ever
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 09:33:37 am »
matso just don't use full screen thats all :)

(Sorry if I am unintelligent, since the knowledge I have only comes from a school text book...)

Offline TheToast

• Major
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 10:39:34 am »
My opinion is that it would be also unfair to have 4:3 resolutions, if I would play in widescreen... then 4:3 players see more vertically!

Nah, not really, i think. My Widescreen resulotion is 1680x1050 pixels, if i switch to 4:3 it's 1400x1050. The height would be exact the same, but the width is more. By the way, i could play soldat in Widescreen, but it's no problem for me to play in 4:3

Offline Matso

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:25:42 am »
My opinion is that it would be also unfair to have 4:3 resolutions, if I would play in widescreen... then 4:3 players see more vertically!

Nah, not really, i think. My Widescreen resulotion is 1680x1050 pixels, if i switch to 4:3 it's 1400x1050. The height would be exact the same, but the width is more. By the way, i could play soldat in Widescreen, but it's no problem for me to play in 4:3
If you have 4:3 monitor with resolution of 1280x1024, then if you switch to wide, it will be about 1280x800..

Resolution isn't the point.

Offline Balidani

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 08:20:02 am »
heh, i have widescreen, but i cant stand full screen in soldat. i love the tiny graphics and they look better because they are not stretched at all.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 05:00:20 pm »
Matso use fucking windowed mode and stop bitching.

And no, I don't have a widescreen.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 06:19:41 pm »
We all see the same right?

Just register soldat and resize your windows to make sure it doesn't get stretched.
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline Radical Terrorist

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 08:57:46 am »
I use an LCD 4:3 1280x1024. Soldat looks terrible (regardless of resolution settings) in full screen on my computer, the only difference with having it full screen and my native res and having it full screen with min res is that the text is matched to the resolution, but the picture doesn't get any better, so I play windowed.
Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out alive.