Author Topic: what the crap?  (Read 16364 times)

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
Re: what the crap?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 09:26:13 pm »
oooooh i get it. so 1 calibur would be an inch! then....... oh god barret has 5 inch bullet!
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 09:29:30 pm »
oooooh i get it. so 1 calibur would be an inch! then....... oh god barret has 5 inch bullet!

Yes. A barrett has a five inch bullet.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 09:32:34 pm »
deadly...... you know, i think barret can actually blow someone's head off. it has so much power, when shot in the chest, you'll get knocked back like you would get pushed away like 2~3 feet of air and 4~6 feet of the distance you'll get knocked back after getting shot. now think of it as a head shot/neck. i think your head actually will fall off then
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:34:50 pm by tehsnipah »
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »
deadly...... you know, i think barret can actually blow someone's head off. it has so much power, when shot in the chest, you'll get knocked back like you would get pushed away like 2~3 feet of air and 4~6 feet of the distance you'll get knocked back after getting shot. now think of it as a head shot/neck. i think your head actually will fall off then
You fail at sarcasm, I'm not so sure, but i think the caliber is the amount of detonation from the black powder(I know they don't use black powder, but i've no idea what's in a bullet.) inside the cap of the bullet, Or does that only apply to cartridge guns like shotguns, where the gauge indicates the packing?
Lol, internets.

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 09:59:58 pm »

If you're being serious, then here's a serious answer:

Calibre is the diameter of the bullet or the inside of the barrell. So a .50 BMG has a diameter of .5 of an inch, or half an inch.

People don't get knocked back unless they're wearing body armor, because the bullet will go through them.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 10:06:43 pm »
Mythbusters proved that you don't get knocked back by just about anything, if you're wearing body amour, Either the bullet will go through, or the bullet stops, You don't get pushed back like half a meter, or fall over.
Even shotguns don't knock you over, it either penetrates or stops i suppose you might get a little bit, But not anything like super significant, As for a barret, You'd just die.
Lol, internets.

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 10:10:26 pm »
Mythbusters proved that you don't get knocked back by just about anything, if you're wearing body amour, Either the bullet will go through, or the bullet stops, You don't get pushed back like half a meter, or fall over.
Even shotguns don't knock you over, it either penetrates or stops i suppose you might get a little bit, But not anything like super significant, As for a barret, You'd just die.

I assumed there would be enough energy from the bullet travelling so fast that it would atleast push you back slightly (not dramatically like in media) if you were wearing body armor.

I didn't know about this mythbusters thing....so I'll go youtube it.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 10:19:01 pm »

They proved that you don't get blown back 10 feet like in the movies. Force is transferred to your body when you are hit by a bullet. You will move if only an inch or two. However the biggest thing they used was a 12 gauge, Barrretts and 50 cals are totally different.
@ii

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 10:22:16 pm »
Yes, but with a .50 cal, it's more likely to penetrate anything you've got protecting you.
Lol, internets.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 10:24:03 pm »
I know?

Still its going to either stop you or knock you back.
@ii

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 10:31:57 pm »
Yeah, But with my limited knowledge of guns, It's safe to assume that most guns above(X amount of caliber) will penetrate and then everything below that specific caliber would stop. (With an exception to the few that would stay inside you meaning they penetrated the body armor, so that should really be defined as stopping, but well, you're dead.) So really i guess you're right.
Lol, internets.

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 10:54:12 pm »
Calibre alone does that determine the stopping power of a round.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 11:03:30 pm »
Calibre alone does that determine the stopping power of a round.
True, But it's safe to assume that there is a point in which everything of a lower caliber stops while everything above that penetrates.
Or would the be stupid to assume something like that?
Lol, internets.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 02:18:13 am »
Theres a video I've seen on the internet of a sniper in I think it was Afghanistan sniping a US soldier; hit him directly in the chest, his vest stopped the round, but it knocked him down pretty good. Nothing like in the movies, more of a fall over backwards from the force kind of thing, kind of like if someone pushed you while you were offbalance.

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 03:45:10 am »
Theres a video I've seen on the internet of a sniper in I think it was Afghanistan sniping a US soldier; hit him directly in the chest, his vest stopped the round, but it knocked him down pretty good. Nothing like in the movies, more of a fall over backwards from the force kind of thing, kind of like if someone pushed you while you were offbalance.
That seems dangerous,
"hey steve, Shoot my vest with your rifle :D."
"Okay, But aren't you afraid i'll kill you?"
"Pfft, No, i'm all that is man..."
"K."
POW
Lol, internets.

Offline Kszchroink

• Soldier
  • black people
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 07:22:21 am »

just felt like posting itt to say that these are my two favourite posts in the forums
YOU! SHOOK ME ALLLL NIIIGHT LONG - Kurt Cobain
WHO TOOK MY AVATAR I'LL FIND MY AVATAR - Kurt Cobain

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 11:20:40 am »
That seems dangerous,
"hey steve, Shoot my vest with your rifle :D."
"Okay, But aren't you afraid i'll kill you?"
"Pfft, No, i'm all that is man..."
"K."
POW

No I saw the video as well. It was a juba sniper wannabe (therefore an Iraqi) taping himself shooting an American soldier.

Now If I remember it correctly that soldier was a medic, and after being shot a bunch of American soldiers went for the sniper, shot him, and since he was injured the medic worked on him but didn't know it.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 11:22:18 am »
Afghani sniper? Probably using a weaker rifle, like a Dragunov. Wouldn't penetrate a kevlar vest.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline Kszchroink

• Soldier
  • black people
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 11:34:33 am »
lotsa weapon experts itt i see
YOU! SHOOK ME ALLLL NIIIGHT LONG - Kurt Cobain
WHO TOOK MY AVATAR I'LL FIND MY AVATAR - Kurt Cobain

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 01:33:31 pm »
*reads the higher up posts for once*

A friend of mine is a big gun aficionado, and I asked him about this kind of thing. The standard rounds for the M82A1, first off, are freaking huge. The casing alone is about 3 inches long. That's a lot of boom. A solid round is going to have so much energy, it'll either penetrate most of any hard substance, or pretty much destroy anything softer. It's one of those guns that is just above being on par for taking down an elephant effectively. And your body is a lot more squishy than an elephant's.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.