Author Topic: Who are you voting for?  (Read 9695 times)

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
Re: Who are you voting for?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 12:10:43 am »
Religion+Politics=Mess. Feel free to be a devout christian, catholic, Jew, Muslim, or follower of Scientology, just leave religion at home and out of a place where it can turn things sour pretty fast. Especially since you're in a position of power and many many people will not agree with your views.
Won't happen, playing religion can help get votes.
@ii

Offline Radical Terrorist

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 12:12:07 am »
And lose some, but lets face it, most Americans are going to be Christian/Catholic. And majority votes wins.
Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out alive.

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 12:15:42 am »
Isn't Ron Paul the one who supports getting rid of hundreds of government departments under the guise of his fairytale free market, installing the gold standard, which was deemed impractical in the 1930s, let alone today and either knowingly or unknowingly published, for over a decade, a racist newsletter under his name?

Offline n00bface

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 01:27:05 am »
I love racist newsletters

who the fuck would vote huckabee?  the guy is going around telling everyone that the reason he is leading in the polls is because of a "greater power"

i'd probably vote for clinton..it's hard picking between a chick and a black dude, but black dudes are just gross.

besides, bIRAQ hussein OSAMA

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 01:31:45 am »
Isn't Ron Paul the one who supports getting rid of hundreds of government departments under the guise of his fairytale free market, installing the gold standard, which was deemed impractical in the 1930s, let alone today and either knowingly or unknowingly published, for over a decade, a racist newsletter under his name?
Shh, read FLAB's Sig. You make big boom happen saying that!

Offline Vltava

• Camper
  • Mr Avocado
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 01:38:47 am »

Yes, in addition to pulling out of the UN and NATO. Paul advocates "free trade", but without these organizations, without sanctions in South Korea, how are we going to keep trade free? Our withdrawal into the dark ages under Paul would allow other forces to step into America's place. He also wants to repeal the Taiwan Relations Act, effectively hindering further trade in Asia. At least he tries.

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2008, 01:47:54 am »
Political Punditry is gonna tear this guy apart limb from limb...

Withdrawal from the UN/NATO? Ballsy, and anyone who hasn't been hiding out in a bunker for the past 80 years will not like that. At all.

Offline Svirin Kerath

• Camper
  • O NO I GOT SHOTD
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2008, 06:05:49 am »
In order of preference, from very high to very low.

Obama
Paul
------
Clinton
John Kerry
everyone else
I AM A SMARTARSED PRICK OF A HUMAN BEING

I AM ALSO DOUCHEBAGGERY, AND I'M SPREADING

Offline Kszchroink

• Soldier
  • black people
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 06:23:27 am »
huckabee or RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL are the comedy options so i guess i'd go with either of those
YOU! SHOOK ME ALLLL NIIIGHT LONG - Kurt Cobain
WHO TOOK MY AVATAR I'LL FIND MY AVATAR - Kurt Cobain

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2008, 06:31:53 am »
Ok, ok....

A little more about my candidate of choice.
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=About.Home

Every election a bunch of people raise money travel all across the US lieing and telling you only what you want to hear so they can secure their place in history. I like him cuz he always speaks the truth. It causes unfavorable press because the US press likes to make a big deal of nothing, but it is guy ain't gonna lie to us about WMDs.
When it comes to his religions views people people start acting like southern redneck children on the subject of skin color. The president does not have the power to force religion on the citizens of the US. A presidents religion is irrelevantly. Just look at Bush, he claims to be Christian but he sure as hell gets a kick out of killing people in the middle east.

Anyway,
Endorsed by Chuck Norris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjYv2YW6azE

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 07:38:10 am »
When it comes to his religions views people people start acting like southern redneck children on the subject of skin color. The president does not have the power to force religion on the citizens of the US. A presidents religion is irrelevantly. Just look at Bush, he claims to be Christian but he sure as hell gets a kick out of killing people in the middle east.
You can't honestly say that many "controversial" conservative opinions - abortion, homosexual rights, stem cells, and drug use, for example, aren't rooted in the bible and fundamentalist christian beliefs. And you can't honestly say that a politician, regardless of political views, is completely truthful.

Especially a guy who believed that AIDS patients should be quarantined, when it was known 5 years prior that there was no causal connection, and claims that being a pastor is good experience for leading a country.

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2008, 08:39:16 am »
ima go for first non-white guy Obama!
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2008, 08:51:12 am »
You can't honestly say that many "controversial" conservative opinions - abortion, homosexual rights, stem cells, and drug use, for example, aren't rooted in the bible and fundamentalist christian beliefs.
Those are all topics for congress buddy. President doesn't get to touch those with a 10 foot pole.

And you can't honestly say that a politician, regardless of political views, is completely truthful.
No, I can't. But I think he is the most honest one out there right now.

Especially a guy who believed that AIDS patients should be quarantined, when it was known 5 years prior that there was no causal connection, and claims that being a pastor is good experience for leading a country.
Are there any direct quotes in that statement? Or are you trying to find something just to complain about?

ima go for first non-white guy Obama!
Leadership skills mean nothing to you, do they.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2008, 09:24:54 am »
You can't honestly say that many "controversial" conservative opinions - abortion, homosexual rights, stem cells, and drug use, for example, aren't rooted in the bible and fundamentalist christian beliefs.
Those are all topics for congress buddy. President doesn't get to touch those with a 10 foot pole.
Until he vetos everything.

Andrew Jackson was a great president, aside from the whole moving Indians off their land thing. He vetoed everything, and he came closest to bringing the country out of debt.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 12:50:32 pm »
A 2 party system is not a fair system.

The outcome doesn't matter though, what matters is that Bush is taken out of office.

Anyway you can't tell which candidate is corrupt until he's already in office.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2008, 12:57:41 pm »

He supports getting rid of them at a federal level and letting states handle those responsibilities.  Education, for example, was something that was always supposed to be handled by states, not the federal government.  When these powers are transferred to the states, they are exercised much more efficiently and appropriately for the state's interests.

Yes, the paper was published in his name but without his knowledge/consent, etc.  With Ron Paul it is a matter of looking past the FUD on things like that.

Yes, in addition to pulling out of the UN and NATO. Paul advocates "free trade", but without these organizations, without sanctions in South Korea, how are we going to keep trade free? Our withdrawal into the dark ages under Paul would allow other forces to step into America's place. He also wants to repeal the Taiwan Relations Act, effectively hindering further trade in Asia. At least he tries.

Are you saying that is a good or bad thing?

I am googling more about it, though my girlfriend seems to know more about it and think it is a good idea... I'll probably just ask her to explain it to me ;)

http://www.antiwar.com/paul/?articleid=2256
http://www.fdrs.org/nato_facts.html
google search on the matter

As for Huckabee:
Ok, ok....

A little more about my candidate of choice.
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=About.Home

Every election a bunch of people raise money travel all across the US lieing and telling you only what you want to hear so they can secure their place in history. I like him cuz he always speaks the truth. It causes unfavorable press because the US press likes to make a big deal of nothing, but it is guy ain't gonna lie to us about WMDs.

Anyway,
Endorsed by Chuck Norris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjYv2YW6azE

He's a ridiculously religious guy.  He wants to modify the constitution to include all kinds of stuff about religion.  Chuck Norris is nearly a religious fanatic, his support means nothing to me.

Almost every word out of Huckabee's mouth has to do with religion, and that scares me.  Ron Paul is religious, but he keeps that in his personal life and almost never says anything about it publicly with respect to his candidacy.

Religion+Politics=Mess. Feel free to be a devout christian, catholic, Jew, Muslim, or follower of Scientology, just leave religion at home and out of a place where it can turn things sour pretty fast. Especially since you're in a position of power and many many people will not agree with your views.
Won't happen, playing religion can help get votes.

Using religion to get votes is sleezy and alluding to incorporating religion into your presidency is scary.  One of my first criteria for figuring out which candidates to ignore was "Are they outwardly super-religious?"

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:42:47 pm by FliesLikeABrick »

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2008, 01:27:49 pm »
"Jesus Loves America"

Ok, so they just secured the votes of everyone south of Arizona... That's the sad truth. The Holy Rollers will vote for the holy rollers.

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2008, 01:52:52 pm »
Bricks,

Ron Paul said in a video that he didn't accept evolution as a theory. Still think a man that hasn't been taught biology or just refutes the scientific method in favour of religious principles is a man worthy of full ops?

edit
http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_Does_Not_Accept_Evolution_2

Offline Vltava

• Camper
  • Mr Avocado
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 03:20:01 pm »
FLAB, aside from Paul's policy of low foreign intervention, he's also against net neutrality and advocates repealing several anti-trust acts that keep our country safe from corporate control. I don't know about you, but I like my net neutral and my country monopoly-free. In the Jefferson years, such ideals may have been perfect, but we live in the twenty-first century. I like Paul, he's an honest man, but his ideals just aren't practical. The Articles of Confederation didn't work; state individuality isn't the answer. Essentially, under Paul, Washington can't tell you you can't get an abortion, but Salem can. Washington can't deny a gay couple they have no rights, but Atlanta can. If Congress weren't in the way, he'd go as far as to privatize everything. No more socialized fire protection, police, or mail. The problem with privatization is that corporations have all the rights of a human but none of the morals. It's what makes corporations like Bechtel royally screw an entire population.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2008, 04:09:56 pm »
Isn't Ron Paul the one who supports getting rid of hundreds of government departments under the guise of his fairytale free market

No, he supports getting rid of them because the Constitution says that those should be the states' responsibility (such as the department of education).

installing the gold standard, which was deemed impractical in the 1930s let alone today

We already discussed this in another thread.

and either knowingly or unknowingly published, for over a decade, a racist newsletter under his name?

Don't know anything about this.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.