Author Topic: [WIP] Medieval mod  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Funnycat

• Major(1)
[WIP] Medieval mod
« on: February 16, 2008, 12:54:52 pm »
Hello, I'm introducing myself to this community with this mod.

Medieval mod is a WIP conversion of Soldat into a medieval shooter, this includes various bows, crossbows, cannons, magic, swords and daggers.

Here's a list of replacements:
USSOCOM -> Mini bow
DEagles -> Dual mini crossbows, charged with fire arrows.
HK MP5 -> Fire magic (really random and kinda useless)
Barret -> Crossbow
Ruger -> Normal Bow
M79 -> Handycannon  ;D
Chainsaw -> Sword of Doom
Knife -> Noble Damascus

Since this is a WIP, there are some things to be done, but it feels balanced enough to be released. (Though dual fire minicrossbows are too much ownage atm)

Also, I've remade Airpirates a bit, added another tower, some cannons, etc, etc. You can get in the tower high up there  ;)

And there's a custom UI. And you get a knight helmet, if you want.

Screenies:

Known bugs:

The weapons get replaced by their original sprites when dropped.
4 weapon choose screen sprites need to be redone.
Some sounds are wrong.
Balance needs improving
The weapon selection screen doesn't represent the actual weapons.

Download: http://files.filefront.com/Medievalrar/;9643612;/fileinfo.html

« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 01:31:38 pm by Funnycat »

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
Re: [WIP] Medieval mod
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 01:20:40 pm »
Dude, you don't have a replacement for every weapon, why you release this mod?! It's a kind of beta release? On those screens  I can't see shit, but guns seem to be fucking HUGE. Weapon when dropped are in different image, read something about modding, BEFORE making a mod.
shit

Offline Funnycat

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 01:28:48 pm »
Don't judge it by the screens. And yes, that's a beta release, "[WIP]", see? And, some of the guns are big, yes, but that's intentional. This mod isn't meant to be anywhere realistic.

And have you even read the "known bugs" section? I'm a total noob, this is my first try, if this is a bollocks thread, why reply?  ???

All I need is good,  constructive criticism and maybe little help.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 01:37:27 pm by Funnycat »

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 04:45:56 pm »
Hahaha. Put more effort there please ;D
I mean, shade weapons and do by your own, don't modify soldat ones. I like taht idea of the Lil' Bow :]

Remember that the gfx is not the most important thing, combine it with .ini and sfx.

Good luck

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 05:13:42 pm »
Constructive criticism then.

First of all, you posted this in the wrong section. All WIP projects go either under Modding Help [very occasionally], General Discussion, or Partial Modifications.

Now then, "total noob" and "first try" are poor excuses. I just looked over this a second time when I read over. Urhm. You kinda just took Airpirates and added a few polygons... okay... In my opinion, your standards for what constitutes a beta-able mod is a bit on the low side. At least you could first of all, not use solid colors for your in-games... I mean, your grenade is just a big black circle. Not even highlights? Comon, bub.
Why did you just move the Rambo Bow picture over as the "fire spell?" Don't you think a "fire spell" should be represented by, I dunno, a blast of fire? And I don't believe Medieval people used "O_o" when naming their weapons.

When you make anything that you plan on releasing, you need to ask yourself, is it presentable, and is it competitive in quality versus other current offerings?. If the answer is "no" then you should work on it until the answer for both is "yes." Otherwise, how are you going to convince people to waste hard disk space to try a piece of crap?

Anyways, since you asked for help, let's address these issues. First of all you packaged it wrong. When I unpacked it into my Mods folder, it creates a "Medieval" folder. That's good, but when I opened that up, there's another folder in addition to maps and Custom-Interfaces which is called Mods, and a folder called Bowmod within that folder that contains the actual mods. Just move the actual mods stuff out to the same level as Custom-Interfaces and Maps.

You might not be artistically gifted, but I think you should at least give weapons shading a try instead of changing the shape of the Barrett and tweaking the hue a bit and calling it a crossbow. Your stat gun wheel is a big blue circle. They didn't have big blue circles back then. ;) But you should try putting in some more time for your interface weapons.

You have some major problems with your in-game weapons. Your crossbow... well, let's take a look.

Well, you've included a ton of crap that people downloading the mod won't want. Like the Barrett series of bitmaps. That's just yucky stuff that no one wants. You want to slim down your mod as much as possible. You're also including all the default stuff too! A big chunk of your mod's size [4Mb!?] is actually stuff we already have! Yuck! So, remember to just package the things you changed next time. It'll make dial-uppers' lives much easier. Anyways, yes, you just need to put in some more time for your in-games [like your big black circle-nade thing]. It's kinda insulting to some people who put in a LOT of time into their mods if you think about it. The reason why your minibow and dual xbows turn back when you drop them is because you need to also change the n- versions of the weapons. As in, the files n-deserteagles, n-deserteagles-2, n-colt1911, and n-colt1911-2.

You still have a long way to go, but I hope I've put you on the right track there. I haven't taken the time to review the sounds, or even gameplay, and I don't think it'll be a good use of my time anyways, at least not until you get the other stuff fixed first.

---

Btw, Sky, have you even downloaded the mod? Unless I misread your comment, this mod does come with ini and sound.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 05:15:49 pm »
I don't downloaded the mod and you are misunderstanding :P i just said it, I'm not saying that there is. They are just tips

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 05:16:52 pm »
Okay, yeah. But I think graphics are really what people judge to download the mod in the first place.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 05:19:56 pm »
Ya that's right, but if you recomend to they that there are other things beter than graphics, maybe you can have some donwloads, but ya... people judge by the graphics. So the only thing that you need to do is put effort on the mod, in general, is the only way to become a great modder. I'm wrong?

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 05:21:08 pm »
No, you're absolutely right on that point. :D
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 06:39:49 pm »
WIP should be in another section. You didnt even replaced  all images with yours. But I wish you good luck on this one. Medieval rocks and fantasy swords are my favorite.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 12:52:49 am »
honestly how many bows can you have?

you could pull an RPG and just tack an adjective on the end
Bow of wisdom or some such bollocks.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Funnycat

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 04:41:20 am »
Thanks for the C&C, guys, I appreciate it.

As for fire spell - there was another weapon, which plainly sucked but I haven't replaced the gfx yet :)

As for other stuff - I'm working on it. Also, I've almost never drawn pixel graphics, so they're a bit hard to me now :)

Thanks for being friendly and constructive there. As for wrong section - sorry, didn't know. Mods, please move it where it belongs.

Offline Aarni Valkea

• Soldier
  • R-tisht
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 04:36:42 pm »
I think it's a shame that all the good criticism and reviews are always posted on the mods that don't deserve them or get negative ones.

Sorry off-topic.

I know I'm the last person to say this, but how about posting the mod after you've replaced the "another weapon which plainly sucked" graphics. You can't get good comments if there are big faults.
Where life has no value, death has a price!

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 05:00:10 pm »
I think it's a shame that all the good criticism and reviews are always posted on the mods that don't deserve them or get negative ones.

I'd argue your point that this mod doesn't deserve help. The fact that he's asking for help and that this mod is under par is all the reason more why we should give him more support.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Aarni Valkea

• Soldier
  • R-tisht
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 06:53:13 am »
I stand corrected
Where life has no value, death has a price!