Author Topic: Something's Up... And I need some help.  (Read 955 times)

Offline Radical Terrorist

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
Something's Up... And I need some help.
« on: February 06, 2008, 09:33:02 pm »
So I went to go launch adobe photoshop elements 3, right? And I get the error message you see in This Pic. Naturally I thought it was a classic case of adobe charging lots of money for crap that doesn't work, but I have never run into this problem with PSE3 before. Never. And when I tried reinstalling and it said that my memory was crap (I have 512mb, most of which is being unused) and that I had to free some up first. I decided to run a virus scan cause the last time I had memory being eaten up was a Time I had a Virtum-gen on my machine. Long gone though. Virus scan ended with nothing detected (It's Sophos, VERY high end scanner and getter-rid-ofer). I decided to check the memory usage and found that, although my RAM was doing just fine, My PF had been maxed out and then some. So I check my processes, and NOTHING is running that should push my pf past 100mb. Msn has already crashed 8 times if I try to open fire fox because of the lack of PF. So I tried increasing the amount to use for Virtual memory. I have no idea what could be eating up all of my VM. Memory leak? Seems unlikely. I haven't downloaded anything aside from Ubuntu and Puppy linux since I downloaded Soldat.

I REALLY need some help, everything's going to crap and I don't want to have to nuke the hard drive on this thing or go get a new computer.
Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out alive.

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
Re: Something's Up... And I need some help.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 09:56:13 pm »
I just increased the PF to 4096mb on My first partition, and the same amount on my second partition. Freed up maybe 2 bars off the PF usage meter. I would like to know what it chewing on my Virtual Mem though.

EDIT
You can lock this thread. Or delete it. Which ever tickles FLAB's fancy. After a cold reset I found everything back in order, and the PF usage was back down to normal (~350mb).
No clue what caused it, but I suspect Explorer went haywire at the same time that an iTunes plugin wanted to harass me to update it. I promptly deleted it after I restarted.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:10:32 pm by Radical Terrorist »

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
Re: Re: Something's Up... And I need some help.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:59:03 pm »
iTunes
iTunes actually has a fairly notable reputation for hogging system resources.  That's most likely where it came from.
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 11:19:20 pm »
Yeah. And I was one version behind on it. And I also had the Qloud plugin that I think had a memory leak. Deleted anything Qloud after restart. Everything is Top-notch right-o.

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
Re: Something's Up... And I need some help.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 07:27:32 am »
You should check the "Mem Uages" of your processes, usually thats a dead giveaway.

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:32:32 am »
Run some CCleaner, clear that crap in your cookies and such... that tends to hog a few gigs on your hard drive. It can help you fix your Windows Registry as well, which might help you. Also you might wanna run a check on your RAM just incase its on the blink. I think MemTest is a program that can help you there.

www.google.com is your friend.
Just another soul to burn.