Author Topic: Start up time  (Read 7041 times)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
Start up time
« on: February 12, 2008, 06:42:39 am »
As probably everyone of you know, the knifes start up time cannot be started before you've fully spawned. But that does not apply for Law, Barrett, Nade, minigun. This really makes the knife a rather useless secondary in realistic (especially in realistic + Survival). So for the balances sake either the knifes charge shall be able to start before fully spawn or the weapons named above start up time shall be as the knifes.

I'd like to hear your opinions about this.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Re: Start up time
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:15:14 am »
In realistic/survival it's not at all an issue, since the two teams will be spawning far away from eachother, thus rendering the knife useless anyway.

I can see where you're going at in realistic Deathmatch though.. Frankly, I think this should just be 'fixed'. makes no sence to keep the knife like that when no other weapon applies to it.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:48:46 am »
well first of all, the knifes start up time was a fix to prevent spawn killing. However, the idea with the knife in realsitc games is to pull of a fast kill in. which can't be used in small maps such as ctf_Ash, ctf_Kampf and possibly others.

personally I vote for the knife to be as it were before the fix.

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:08:55 am »
This was changed for the sake of balance and due to the effects of visual lag. You're not supposed to kill an enemy before they have a chance to react to your spawn spark.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:45:58 am »
And it does apply to every other weapon afaik.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:02:35 pm »
boohoo... knife is overpowered/overused enough, anything it needs a nerf rather than a boost..

I'm quite happy to know that there IS a weakness in knife
Always remember the succubus...

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 12:12:59 pm »
boohoo... knife is overpowered/overused enough, anything it needs a nerf rather than a boost..

I'm quite happy to know that there IS a weakness in knife

The knife is almost useless and only serves as a clearer. the main idea of the knife was to get close to your opponent and throw it at him before he had a Chanse to kill you.

This was changed for the sake of balance and due to the effects of visual lag. You're not supposed to kill an enemy before they have a chance to react to your spawn spark.

well what about nades and Barrett? before you fully spawn you can throw nades. and in survival there is 5 seconds "god mode" and during that time the Barrett can load 1 bullet and get rid of 95% of the delay so only a few milliseconds are left.

as I  said, either fix all weapons or return the knife to the original.

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 05:31:21 pm »
What the hell does godmode have to do with anything?

the main idea of the knife was to get close to your opponent and throw it at him before he had a Chanse to kill you.
You can still do this. What does this have to do with spawning?

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 10:10:45 pm »
I think that knife is actually the best antispawn weapon.... not the worst. Law has the delay, chainsaw you have to move.
+ knife CANNOT get any better. it simply puts other secondaries to shame. I rarely see any lawers in pubs or gathers.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 02:27:08 am »
this is about realistc and also realistic survival.

What the hell does godmode have to do with anything?

the main idea of the knife was to get close to your opponent and throw it at him before he had a Chanse to kill you.
You can still do this. What does this have to do with spawning?

well, you goes into "god mode" as you wait for your full respawn in SURVIVAL (as I have said many times). and almost the only good thing to do with knife is to get a spawn kill at the round start. this is no longer possible as the barretter will shoot before you can charge your knife to go far enough.
that is the problem.

Offline cunchy

• Soldier
  • D:!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 03:56:37 am »
Knife is fine as it is. Geez, that 5 second invincibility is too ESCAPE the base so that spawning doesnt happen. And the knife is meant to be a secondary weapon, which means that its not uberly god-like powerful.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 06:43:49 am »
look at socom and law, both are extremely good. but the knife lost its purpose, which as to kill someone in the early beggining. and the 5 seconds is to get into position not to avoid spawn kill(you can still kill with nades).

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 08:57:57 am »
The knife is your last-ditch weapon for when both of you are right up in each other's faces. I don't think anybody really bothers stabbing anymore; it's all about the throw.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 11:05:16 am »
look at socom and law, both are extremely good. but the knife lost its purpose, which as to kill someone in the early beggining. and the 5 seconds is to get into position not to avoid spawn kill(you can still kill with nades).

BOTH EXTREMELY GOOD?? YOU KIDDING? when is the last time you've seen a lawer in a pub or gather, and when is the last time you've seen a knifer in a gather.. I thought so.

Offline TiReD

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 02:52:33 pm »
BOTH EXTREMELY GOOD?? YOU KIDDING? when is the last time you've seen a lawer in a pub or gather, and when is the last time you've seen a knifer in a gather.. I thought so.
Show me stats with source, or shut the feck up.
iwishicouldhateyoutodeath
[/color]

Offline The Owls

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 10:01:50 pm »
While the knife did indeed lose its quick throw when ever you spawn, its not by much, at all really.  Your still going to get off a knife throw before a barret or m79 is ready to shoot.  Despite that, the knife is still used more then most other secondaries, especially in gathers or fcws, simply because it is a perfect weapon for a rusher.

I actually think the knife is pretty much perfect as is right now.  I would like to see a boost to the other secondaries though.  Maybe a bit shorted delay when firing the law, and as for the soccom, maybe very small increase in either the damage or the speed.  (as in +1)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 06:04:27 am »
While the knife did indeed lose its quick throw when ever you spawn, its not by much, at all really.  Your still going to get off a knife throw before a barret or m79 is ready to shoot.  Despite that, the knife is still used more then most other secondaries, especially in gathers or fcws, simply because it is a perfect weapon for a rusher.

I actually think the knife is pretty much perfect as is right now.  I would like to see a boost to the other secondaries though.  Maybe a bit shorted delay when firing the law, and as for the soccom, maybe very small increase in either the damage or the speed.  (as in +1)

wll that might be the case in normal. but in realistic survival the knife is pretty much useless. Law can damage trough wall socom kills in 3 hits. also the barrett shoots faster than you can charge the knife to thorw 2-3 soldat meters. which makes the quick run up kill useless (because you cant thorw the knife).

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 06:17:49 am »
wll that might be the case in normal. but in realistic survival the knife is pretty much useless.
Well, let's toss this in here. What percentage of games are Realistic Survival?

R/S is a niche thing. I don't think a weapon needs to be modified out of what is a happy balance in Normal mode to appeal to the guys who only like R/S. If you don't like the knife, I'd suggest a Socom, ya dig?

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 06:21:19 am »
wll that might be the case in normal. but in realistic survival the knife is pretty much useless.
Well, let's toss this in here. What percentage of games are Realistic Survival?

R/S is a niche thing. I don't think a weapon needs to be modified out of what is a happy balance in Normal mode to appeal to the guys who only like R/S. If you don't like the knife, I'd suggest a Socom, ya dig?

if you have made the code smart you'll have diffrent weapon settings on Realistic and normal. so the only thing that has to be changed is the realistic version.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 06:22:51 am »
Incidentally I just thought of that -- this must be possible, since there are different weapons.ini sets for normal and realistic modes now, if I recall. My bad. With no further input, the Zeor rests.