Author Topic: TbC's SOCOM Redux 2.0 [Update]  (Read 4175 times)

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
TbC's SOCOM Redux 2.0 [Update]
« on: February 17, 2008, 07:16:53 am »
< 1.1
Quote from:  The Readme file in the .Zip
-===Soldat Socom Redux===-

Modded by: TheBoneCollector (AgentJB)
Sounds: From www.fpsbanana.com
Installation: extract the conents into the soldat "mods" folder, make sure contents are not scattered,
but in one folder. Either call this folder "socom" or BoneCollectors Socom, or whatever you want.
Once that is done, start the Soldat Mod Starter, and select the mod from the list.

OR

Copy the contents of this file to your Soldat folder, and click Yes to overwrite. Be sure to backup your
files first.

I take only a little credit for this mod, like finding the sounds, editing the picture, organising the
mod for easy use. The original unedited version was made by Michal Marcinkowski
(probably the wrong spelling), the Creator of Soldat.

If you don't like the sound included, check the Extras folder for another sound. Simply paste that in the
Sfx folder of where-ever you installed the mod.

Have fun, ya hobos.

-TbC/Agent JB.

Description: A redone version of MM's original SOCOM from Soldat, now a little bit more shaded, with a Silencer, and a Laser Aiming Module (L.A.M)... originally shown in my "Bone Collectors WIPs" thread. Looks more stylish than the original in my opinion. ;)

Thanks to Michal for the original file to work off.

And please... those who are going to flame me for editing original files... STOP NOW. I only want to hear constructive comments, not flaming.

Have fun, kill silently...  :-*

TbC.

Edit: The Interface picture is in .PNG format, and it will not overwrite the original picture, as its in .BMP format. Make sure you rename the file 10.bmp to somthing like !10.bmp when you install.

Edit 2:
Nicer interface pic.

Edit 3: Updated to 2.0, fixed ingame pics, as well as updated interface graphic :) Left the v1.1 up incase someone wants the old version :)

As promised, the update. Let me know what you think :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:27:14 pm by The Bone Collector »
Just another soul to burn.

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
Re: TbC's SOCOM Redux...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 07:40:46 am »
Nice! DL's

I liek that soldat'ish style, so i download, and try to tho the lam laser right with png. GJ

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:55:35 am »
Nice! DL's

I liek that soldat'ish style, so i download, and try to tho the lam laser right with png. GJ

I know your english isn't the best... but what are you trying to say? Thanks for commenting though, I was hoping someone might like it.

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 08:12:05 am »
Uh... i'm trying to say that you can do the laser of the LAM with alpha transparency

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:12:43 am »
How would I do that?

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 09:07:48 am »
If you have photoshop you can... or paint.net

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 07:15:23 pm »
Thought I might update with a nicer interface pic. I tried the Alpha transperancy gig, looks ok, but heres one with some shadow. Looks nice in my opinion :)

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 02:31:39 am »
haha, i like that, but it doesnt have a trigger D:!!  also, you could try disconnecting the LAM thing from the trigger guard, put it on the end of the barrel maybe. 

Player since late 2007

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 04:17:36 pm »
I don't get it. If your PNG uses alpha-T, then pray tell why are you still using a green background?
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 04:20:29 pm »
I was told to just use the alpha stuff on the LAM... how else am I supposed to use alpha transperancy?

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 04:38:35 pm »
I'm talking about your interface graphic. It's a PNG, and by the looks of it [hasn't warranted a D/L from me yet; don't take it personally], you're using a black outer glow or drop shadow effect. Obviously it wouldn't work if it was a BMP, since Soldat only defines one transparent color and that's 0,255,0 green, so you must be using a PNG as your interface graphic. If you're using PNG with alpha to make your drop shadow work, then you don't need [read: want] the 0,255,0 background because PNG has its own dedicated alpha channels. Unless the real interface graphics you have in your zip are different...gah, I guess I'll just check for myself.

Date Posted: February 20, 2008, 04:24:46 pm
Okay, I see what you did. Need to fix your packaging, though. You've included a ton of Thumbs.db, files, although that's negligible. Your interface weapon was placed in the wrong directory. You have it as Interface-gfx/10.bmp. You need it to be Interface-gfx/Guns/10.bmp. Your Readme is also misleading, telling me to extract into a folder that I can name myself within the Soldat/Mods folder. Your zip, however, when extracted, will create its own directory, so just revise your Readme to say "directly unzip into Soldat/Mods."

Your LAM laser is puny small, man. Looks more like a little red cork than a real laser. Change your in-game to a PNG, remove the red and green areas, then make the canvas 30x4 or something and then select a 1-pixel strip where the laser should be. The use red-alpha gradient and fill in so it fades out to transparent. Also, I've found that generally it's better for in-games to be either darker or lighter than they would otherwise be so to look nice and defined in-game.
CRYSO | HLT                        

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 04:44:35 pm »
Thanks for the critisism Espadon, finally someone does what I've been waiting for. I took a look at this image in Gimp, removed the green easily, and then saved. Imported into photoshop for a slight touch up, and this is what I've come up with.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 04:50:11 pm »
You have some clipping on your shadow there. What you want to do is put the original 10.BMP into PS, clear the green areas, open up the canvas about 1-2 pix or so in all directions, then use the little Macromedia Flash icon at the bottom of your Layers pane to add either an outer glow [make sure your FG color is black, then select the custom -> black-alpha gradient] or a drop shadow. You'll probably have to adjust the range and spread for the outer glow, or if using a drop shadow, make the distance less. You'll understand when you do it. ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 04:53:02 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 05:04:14 pm »
I'm hoping I've done it right. Its 9am and I've had NO sleep  [retard]
I did what you told me to espadon, but methinks it did something to the trigger part of the gun.
Photoshop and pixelart-ing is a whole new ball game to me. Certainly adds a nice shade to your image, making it look so much more appealing.

Thanks espadon for your help, is this what you meant?

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 05:45:03 pm »
Ow, too much shade! And you always keep overcropping it. Should be at least like this:

CRYSO | HLT                        

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 05:47:35 pm »
Ouch. You just showed me off. Nice work lol.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 05:56:36 pm »
Nah, take your time. If you're having trouble determining the extent of your drop shadow/glow, then make a new layer that's filled with white color underneath so you can see how much black you're putting on.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 04:45:07 pm »
Photoshop waaaaars!

Modern Socom is insta-win, my friend. Looks great.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 05:45:25 pm »
Thanks :) Glad people liked it. Expect an update soon with some different ingame graphics... The current ones are annoying me.
Any tips on improving?

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
Re: TbC's SOCOM Redux 2.0 [Update]
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 08:10:51 am »
I really like that new one, but now try on your style, adn put both, i wanna see :P

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 06:16:10 pm »
it'd be really cool if you could activate the laser ingame :D 

otherwise, looks awesome, but i'd work on adding a trigger.

good job

Player since late 2007

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 06:48:23 pm »
Skydanden... Thats my version... lol.

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 08:54:55 am »
uh...?
Well its nice, but you should work more on png, I mean not all the weapon, just that laser thing, because now looks just like a line (on the other one) i really like the uppon one just because you did a good job of the png, and for me looks funny (because uses a similar soldat's style) so you have my DL as i said

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 10:07:03 am »
What happened with the first one there? Looks like you forgot to transparent-ize after you added that trigger. Single line stuff is generally a no-no... Unless you're really trying for the FMBM look. Since when are silencers pointy at the end? Square it off, man. You also have a funny habit of making the handle ambiguously rounded and the first word that pops into my head when I see it is "pudding." Finally, you don't really have a distinction between your grip and the barrel. You might want to look into that.
CRYSO | HLT                        

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 04:06:38 pm »
My own version of the SOCOM (the crappy looking bmp I attached) was an old pic I did. I had no intentions of using it in any mod, but the Soldat SOCOM I remade (the shaded, sexy looking one) was for those who like the original Soldat weapons, but updating it with a fresher look. I myself don't like alot of the Soldat weapons, but the SOCOM is sexy.... so this is my updated version, for the love of the gun. Besides, using it in Realistic on some n00b running around, gives you satisfaction that you just killed him silently... at least on your screen :P I'm thinking I might do a version without the silencer or LAM, just for those who want simplicity that comes with the original Soldat weapons.

Sorry for the scrawl.