Author Topic: Terminology Ideas  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Überschall

• Soldier
Terminology Ideas
« on: March 23, 2008, 07:34:58 am »
Okay, I had some ideas about terminology. Whenever I'm a little bored at LRS, I go to spec and comment the game play-by-play, which sometimes gives me worries: I don't have much time to type and there are many parts of a map that aren't termed. Which makes it hard to describe an ongoing situation. "He's waiting at that spot where the tunnel is getting tight in front of the spawn..." and so on.

So I made up something. I'm a hockey fan, so I thought why not carry over some hockey terms? They fit! First of all, the zones, the direction of play is from left to right; from Alpha's view:

First of all, the map's being cut in half by the red center line. Then, nearly every map has spots where you can draw the two blue lines. In this case, you clearly see those little "platforms" on the low route. Behind them, there's another sink and right after that comes the flag. So, the zones start in front of the sinks, because they're the last change of terrain before the final change of terrain that the flag rests on.
Behind the flags, there's that thin red line, basically the goal line. It's the point where the area that one team usually occupies when grabbing the flag ends and you get into the backfield.

So this allows us to differ the zones: Defensive, Neutral and Offensive Zone. Obviously, Alpha's Defensive Zone would be Bravo's Offensive Zone.

Now, still, that names areas but no spots. Look at it like this:

There are names I made up for certain spots. Of course they're individual for this map now, but I picked a map that was very generic and shows similarities to most others.
Starting from the center line, going in either direction, it doesn't matter, the first we see are the "Points". In hockey, that's where the blue line joins with the boards. In Soldat, it's shifted a little because that'd make no sense. Here, the point is where the middle area ends and where you enter the Spawn. The spawn is basically, unlike I mistakenly marked in the picture, the whole area around the flag. The points are therefore the spots where you enter the spawn, they're usually bottlenecks, this map shows it greatly.
Then, there's the crease. In hockey, it's the small circle in front of the goal, where the goalie sits. Here, it's the small area where the flag sits. The flag-crease.
In basically every map, there has to be the point where the "boards" change from horizontal to vertical. That's the "Halfboards". In hockey you'd call that the corner, simply, but halfboards sort of suits it better, if you look at the final ending, the vertical boards, as the actual "boards" because they border you more obviously.
Then, there's the Dodge route in the middle again, it's where you go to avoid traffic. It's the small, hidden route that nobody uses. Sneaky bastard.

Well, I hope you get the point. I made this shit up because I needed some terms and I thought I'd show it to some of you.

"Everyone who casts a shadow seems to stand in the sun" ~Wolfsheim

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
Re: Terminology Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:39:43 am »
You're "points" should be and are called "bottlenecks".
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Überschall

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 11:03:22 am »
Yes, but a map can have several bottleneck spots and the points only refer to the bottlenecks in entering the Spawn.
"Everyone who casts a shadow seems to stand in the sun" ~Wolfsheim

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 01:21:47 pm »
You're applying hockey terms to a shooting game, it doesn't work. Use different labels because most of them won't really make sense unless you've seen this diagram, pointless don't you think?

This system in particular is faulted in that it cannot be applied to every map leaving no ambiguous areas. (I.E. CTF_Run)

Red/Blue Base
Flag spawn or some variant
main
alt
high/low
Red/Blue/Base Entrance
etc...

For any terminology system to be useful in your application, it needs to be immediately understandable, and most of all it needs to make sense. Soldat is not hockey, and it makes no sense applying hockey-terms that only a few know as opposed to terms that if not known, are easily understandable(Red Base instead of 'halfboards')
ZamoraK |2Wai|