Author Topic: A few lame Suggestions... (except infection)  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
A few lame Suggestions... (except infection)
« on: March 01, 2008, 10:35:05 pm »
Soldat is an excellent game. I have suggestions for it though:

Barret .50 Cal scope zoom: Would is be possible to make everything blurred except the immediate area around the Reticule. This would make sniping less "Hacky".

Vehicles: I'm a good boy. I read the "Don't Suggest"list. Although a mongoose-type vehicle...

Infection Game-mode:

This game mode would work like this:
-Alpha team has guns (as normal), Bravo team has chainsaws only (and maybe make them faster). Bravo team may also have a new sprite for a "zombie" looking character.
-When an alpha team member dies, they joins the ranks of Bravo.
-Alpha win if they reach a certain score limit or if the time limit runs out (if there is one).
Another option would be in "Options" it has a drop-down menu that says "Zombie starting weapon". So you could make a pack of Barrett-wielding zombies!

I just think that would be fun. (Yes, it's inspired by Halo 3).

Jetpack: Make the jetpack come from an actual jetpack sprite on their back, this would look really cool, and make the soldat's look more "chunky" as it were, due to the jetpack on their back) and ever more tough. I only suggest this, as the fire coming from the feet looks awfully silly (in some occasions).

Maps: teleporters for the maps? Or maybe "boosts" into the air to get to a higher spot?

Does this count as a new weapon? But the merging of say the AK-74 and the M79 into one gun (as an option). This weapon obviously would not be for use in Professional game servers.

Moving Scenery: I know it's not an option, but it would be cool if you could have moving platforms that you can jump upon. This would open opportunities for moving platforms of a death-pit or even slow-moving landing craft approaching a beach... It's up to you.

What else? GIF sprites? It would be cool to have animated sprites of the easy-to-mod GIF filetype. So you could make glowing plasma or dripping blood off a chainsaw.

Quickjoin: A button on the menu that says "Quickjoin" (or another rapid-type search button). This automatically finds an up-and-running game randomly from the list of servers. This is for people lazy or undecided which server they should enter.

Polyworks options: Multiple textures? Lighting effects? (If these already exist, I haven't checked Polyworks for a while, so please inform me).

Epic battles: It would be cool to make a soldat side-game that involves large, open maps, tanks helicopters, infantry and jeeps. This would not be compatible with original soldat servers, and come with 64-player online game. Maybe even a Battlefield-style conquest game mode. This would really, really be cool. It could be called something like "Soldat: The Ground War" Or "Soldat 2". But hey, that's somethign entirely new altogether...

These are just a few suggestions I had. Some are very silly, but some are realistic. I hope to see some in future Versions.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 03:58:26 am by Gnoblar »

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Re: A thousand Suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:18:18 am »

Barret .50 Cal scope zoom: Would is be possible to make everything blurred except the immediate area around the Reticule. This would make sniping less "Hacky".

Bad idea.

Infection Game-mode: [/b]

-Alpha team has guns (as normal), Bravo team has chainsaws only (and maybe make them faster). Bravo team may also have a new sprite for a "zombie" looking character.
-Alpha win if they reach a certain score limit or if the time limit runs out (if there is one).
Another option would be in "Options" it has a drop-down menu that says "Zombie starting weapon". So you could make a pack of Barrett-wielding zombies!

Good idea.

Jetpack: Make the jetpack come from an actual jetpack sprite on their back, this would look really cool, and make the soldat's look more "chunky" as it were, due to the jetpack on their back) and ever more tough. I only suggest this, as the fire coming from the feet looks awfully silly (in some occasions).

Bad idea. The current jets are good enough. If you really want this, might as well modify your minigun. Use this data, which I call the "Hurricane Jet"

[XM214 Minigun]
Damage=0
FireInterval=3
Ammo=250
ReloadTime=113
Speed=550
BulletStyle=1
StartUpTime=0
Bink=0
MovementAcc=1
Recoil=0

Maps: teleporters for the maps? Or maybe "boosts" into the air to get to a higher spot?

Does this count as a new weapon? But the merging of say the AK-74 and the M79 into one gun (as an option). This weapon obviously would not be for use in Professional game servers.

A teleporter? Nah. If you do something with the polys in the maps you can teleport using those polys, or make a very high jump.

Moving Scenery: I know it's not an option, but it would be cool if you could have moving platforms that you can jump upon. This would open opportunities for moving platforms of a death-pit or even slow-moving landing craft approaching a beach... It's up to you.

What else? GIF sprites? It would be cool to have animated sprites of the easy-to-mod GIF filetype. So you could make glowing plasma or dripping blood off a chainsaw.

Good idea.

Quickjoin: A button on the menu that says "Quickjoin" (or another rapid-type search button). This automatically finds an up-and-running game randomly from the list of servers. This is for people lazy or undecided which server they should enter.

Isn't that made?

Epic battles: It would be cool to make a soldat side-game that involves large, open maps, tanks helicopters, infantry and jeeps. This would not be compatible with original soldat servers, and come with 64-player online game. Maybe even a Battlefield-style conquest game mode. This would really, really be cool. It could be called something like "Soldat: The Ground War" Or "Soldat 2". But hey, that's somethign entirely new altogether...

I don't like this idea.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 12:19:59 am by STM1993 »

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:40:38 am »
Barret .50 Cal scope zoom - no. barret is balanced.
Infection Game-mode - scripting.
Jetpack - NO! Jetboots ftw.
Maps - no. F11.
Moving Scenery - no, it will reqire map format changing.
What else? GIF sprites? - will be implemented in Soldat 1.5
Quickjoin - ... no.
Epicgay battles - This would really, really suck.

Offline cunchy

• Soldier
  • D:!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 03:46:54 am »
Infection Game Mode - Snowy's (Yes, the hacker) Zombie script.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 06:04:15 am »

So this was the only suggestion that wasn't either really stupid or previously suggested. And to be honest, even this one is rather useless, since it doesn't really take a long time to locate and join a server.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:11:19 am »
All these ideas, except for "Epic Battles" are either done already or just plain bad.  Advanced things like moving scenery are too advanced for soldat, i think you've all read a million times now, "Soldat is a SMALL shareware game made by one man".  Gif scenery aint that bad i guess. but may cause lag.. custom maps would have to spare the option of disabiling it if it is any problem.  Epic Battles, on second thought, maybe not.  64 Players is Wayyy too out there, (think of lag).  Jetpack idea is pretty stupid, you already have rocket shoes what else could you ask for??  The sniper zoom thing is a trenchwars thing, not general soldat.  Last but not least, the "quickjoin" thing.  yer i suppose it could be a small option... but i dont think anymore of it, too much of that stuff could very well overwhelm soldats menus.  

Player since late 2007

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 06:18:43 am »
So moving scenery would be a little too out there, but "tanks helicopters, infantry and jeeps" in a sort of "Battlefield-style conquest game mode" would be okay 'cept for the possibility of lag? :D
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 07:08:03 am »
Instead fix the zoom bug.

wouldn't work as a player cant play for both teams.

no please don't.

would require diffrent map format.

I think we'd need a new netcode to do this. (else it would be way too large packets.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 07:16:31 am »
Man, I came into this thread expecting a thousand crappy ideas. Instead I get 10. That's even worse.

lol. Nah, all of the suggestions here are bad ones (except the Infection game mode).
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 08:44:37 am »
Yep I would really agree lots of the suggestions are not good.

Man, I came into this thread expecting a thousand crappy ideas. Instead I get 10. That's even worse.

lol. Nah, all of the suggestions here are bad ones (except the Infection game mode).

SpiltCoffee!!!

It's me, 93!

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 08:46:42 am »
Moving platforms would be great if it were possible. Animated scenery is being added. Epic battles kinda contradicts the whole "I read the rules and won't ask for vehicles" thing, as otherwise it's just a huge laggy trenchwar.

As for jetpack, I support having an orgin.ini for every modifiable image in Soldat. That would be the single best thing to happen to modders, and one of the hundreds of possibilities it would open up is changing where the jet smoke originates. Combined with adding a jetpack onto the gostek, you could mod this easily.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline .Ryan.

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 09:09:31 am »
If you really want to see all these things added, I think you should probably look for another game, like Unreal Tournament perhaps, your expecting way too much from a 2d Shooter. Soldat does exactly what it says on the tin.
 F11

El_Spec

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 10:00:41 am »
I don't support any of those ideas.

PolyWorks is open source, so you or anyone can add that feature.  And .GIF support will be added to 1.5.

Offline Mastadi

• Camper
  • What makes me a good demoman!?
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 12:43:05 pm »

I agree. Not too much of a blur, but there should be a little bit of it. Maybe something similar for the 'can't see' areas in realistic mode?

Vehicles: I'm a good boy. I read the "Don't Suggest"list. Although a mongoose-type vehicle...

Infection Game-mode:

Possible by scripting. I played on such a server recently

No need for it

Possible to make in any map maker, you need to know how, though

I was thinking it would be cool if you were able to pick two primary weapons and fuse them. Using Q button would switch the firing mode, you could attach it to limited ammount of weapons, though (HK, AK, steyer and Minimi, perhaps?). Some weapons would be primary only, without addons (DEs, Ruger, Barret and Minigun) and only spas and m79 should be able to be added on.

Go play Mario

Will be added

That could be useful, if it had enough fillters

Polyworks options: Multiple textures? Lighting effects? (If these already exist, I haven't checked Polyworks for a while, so please inform me).

I agree with 64 player servers. For vehicles, 3D games are better anyway. And you can't imagine how broken some vehicles would be. They would also take away simplicity from Soldat, which is a no-no :<

These are just a few suggestions I had. Some are very silly, but some are realistic. I hope to see some in future Versions.

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 01:03:06 pm »
Epic Battles: Play trench Wars.
Gif Sprites: Already implemented into 1.5
Teleporters:Already possible.
JetpackSprite:Useless Idea.
Infection Gamemode:u13.net:23033
64 Player game: FRONTLINES, FUEL OF WAR! (Besides, it would lag like hell, you ever even seen a 14 on 14 game?)
Quickjoin:Nice Idea. Could need tweaking, though, it might lead you to empty servers, and most Soldat players play in there favorite servers. Nice ideas atleast.
BARRETTM821A50CALZOOM:Sort of useless idea.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 04:09:59 pm by Thinkto urself »

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline darkness713

• Major(1)
  • Lunchtime!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 06:52:58 am »
The only thing on that list that has any real chance of making it into the actual game, is the Quickjoin. It could be useful, you could set up filters for it, like the minimum amount of players you'd want to play against, game type, etc. Of course, that would seem like a lot of work for just wanting to play a random game, but it could have it's uses if you can't decide which server to play in.
Please don't tell people that our bakery's motorbike ran you over.

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
Re: A thousand lame Suggestions...
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 03:57:20 am »
This causes for a topic title change...

64 Player game: FRONTLINES, FUEL OF WAR! (Besides, it would lag like hell, you ever even seen a 14 on 14 game?)

Or Battlefield 2142/1/1942/Vietnam

Yeah, OK some most of these are a bit silly, but they were ideas.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 04:00:16 am by Gnoblar »

Offline TradeMAAK

• Soldier
Re: A few lame Suggestions... (except infection)
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 04:08:14 pm »

Excellent idea.
I also liked the epic battles one. But you would have to have an epic sized map for those.
destroy

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 04:19:55 pm »
"Epic Battles?"

You're trying to make Soldat into something it's not. What's next, World of Soldatcraft? "Omg i so critted u wit my barret n u dunt die wth hax dat was 4000 i hitted u on! omgwtfbbqhax"

The thing with Soldat is that YOU make the battles epic. It doesn't have to be big to be epic. Get some skills and grab some kills.

Besides, if you read the rules you know that there ain't gonna be any vehicles until it go Open Sores, when Chakra will leave, which means that we can depend on the noobs with fantastic ideas to ruin it.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 02:57:40 am »
Get some skills and grab some kills.

I like that.