Author Topic: About the weapons... [Question]  (Read 8335 times)

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Re: About the weapons... [Question]
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 08:16:04 am »
EDIT:
Minimi's already weak. I now agree... I thought the minimi was still easy like in 1.3 where the movement acc was only 2. Yep... it would need movement acc -1, and a +2 damage around there. Maybe a little reduction is reload time too (then the sfx for reload may need to be changed slightly).
In 1.3, Minimi had massive bink, so you fired around 5 bullets and then your gun would be too inaccurate. I loved that, because I could tap tap tap all day.

In my opinion, the changes need to reverse the effects that 1.4.0 brought to the Minimi.

1.3.1 -> 1.4.0
// Minimi :   dmg -1, moveacc +2, bink +35

So, I'd say this for a change
// Minimi : moveacc -2, bink -35

EDIT2: I think I've seen you playing in GameArena 2... I dunno... might be mistaking you for someone else.

Yep it's me on Game Arena 2 (INF). Now I play it less because my ping there becomes 300+ and I don't have time (unless its weekends) O.o

I would also prefer 1.3 minimi, being a tapper myself as well. I don't see a reason to use minimi anymore with such bad movement acc if tapping was still so inaccurate. I only found it to be powerful in 1.41... if I proned and not move.

Minigun... I really wonder what its real purpose. Minigun is not a flying weapon, but has enough pushing power to keep a user in mid-air (so if you use this with decent amount of jets, you can climb a reasonable amount). Of course the m79 is preferred if you wish to jump high and far and fast, but this boost does damage to yourself. MM's definitely not gonna change the minigun from Soldat, so it has to be a minigun forever. Its damage is simply too low to be a proper killing machine or even for support fire despite its high ammo and firing rate.

^
If its purpose is to fly, then it needs firing rate and bullet speed.

If its purpose is just like other weapons (which I believe it is, seeing that MM is probably a fan of Predator and Terminator since lots of inspiration come from them), then it needs a damage boost and reduced startup time. The hovering would remain though otherwise the gun is 100% useless. If the hovering is to be reduced or even removed, then it shouldn't affect the bullet speed or firing rate (you have to edit from the soldat files directly instead of weapon.ini, otherwise its impossible).
// Minigun :   dmg +5, bink +1, startup -5

Date Posted: 05 March 2008, 09:07:44
Balancing should be approximately:

// Eagles :   --
// HK MP5 :   dmg +1
// AK :      --
// Steyr :   dmg -1, bink -3
// Spas :   --
// Ruger :   fireinterval +5, reload -5
// M79 :   --
// Barret :   --
// Minimi :   movement acc -2, bink -35
// Minigun :   dmg +5, bink +1, startup -5
// Socom :   dmg +1
// Knife :   --
// Chainsaw :   reload -16
// LAW :   reload -15

^ Feel free to comment or post your modifications to the table.

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 08:55:17 am »
SpiltCoffee, why would you want to tap your fire button when using an automatic machinegun? You think Rambo taps the trigger when mowing down inept soviet and asian soldiers?

Also, the gather balances are designed for 1.5, not 1.4.2. There are (will be) some hardcoded tweaks in 1.5 that makes the comparison to the current WM not fully relevant. It is expected when using the gather balances in 1.4.2 to, among other things, see more autos, spases and maybe even deagles, less laws and chainsaws, and a minigun that can keep up with speedhackers than when using the WM in 1.5.

And... you're speaking of the previous gather balance.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 09:19:08 am »
SpiltCoffee, why would you want to tap your fire button when using an automatic machinegun? You think Rambo taps the trigger when mowing down inept soviet and asian soldiers?

I can explain that. (even though I'm not SpiltCoffee)

Although it is an automatic weapon, in the game, the firing rate isn't very high. It's still enough for players to just tap the shoot button and yet be firing at the fastest possible speed. Furthermore, tapping helps against self-bink. There is less self-bink than if you had held down the fire button. I find that it is easier to aim and hit if I tap rather than hold down the fire button. But with such insane movement acc, tapping is practically useless, and this also greatly weakens the Minimi.

I know how to prevent tapping, but its a bad idea to disallow tapping unless tapping makes the gun overpowered. In this case, tapping is what makes minimi so good with its high bullet speed and high ammo clip, but the movement acc ruins it.

EDIT:
And you're saying that the weapons mod we see in 1.5 may look similar to the 1.42, but because of some coding found in soldat itself rather than the weapon.ini that makes the big difference?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 09:22:49 am by STM1993 »

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 10:17:25 am »
I find that it is easier to aim and hit if I tap rather than hold down the fire button. But with such insane movement acc, tapping is practically useless, and this also greatly weakens the Minimi.
Then learn to use the weapon the way it was intented. If you waste your brain's kernel time by tapping like a madman to no avail you'll leave less consideration for neutralizing the moveacc.

... but its a bad idea to disallow tapping unless tapping makes the gun overpowered.
Tapping isn't getting disallowed. The need for it will disappear as selfbink is progressively lowerd throughout the versions. Why would we put in selfbink originally if it could just be bypassed? Might as well remove it because only the newbies are affected by it.

And you're saying that the weapons mod we see in 1.5 may look similar to the 1.42, but because of some coding found in soldat itself rather than the weapon.ini that makes the big difference?
Yes
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:20:16 am by 8th_account »

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 12:53:05 am »
No, but I'm not Rambo. I'm SpiltCoffee, and I like to tap for every bullet. IMO, it made me more accurate.

When 1.4.0 came out, I lost my aim. I've only recovered it recently when I switched to the AUG.

Thanks for nothing.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 03:10:45 am »
I find that it is easier to aim and hit if I tap rather than hold down the fire button. But with such insane movement acc, tapping is practically useless, and this also greatly weakens the Minimi.
Then learn to use the weapon the way it was intented. If you waste your brain's kernel time by tapping like a madman to no avail you'll leave less consideration for neutralizing the moveacc.

... but its a bad idea to disallow tapping unless tapping makes the gun overpowered.
Tapping isn't getting disallowed. The need for it will disappear as selfbink is progressively lowerd throughout the versions. Why would we put in selfbink originally if it could just be bypassed? Might as well remove it because only the newbies are affected by it.

Yes

Oh, if that's the case then the movement acc won't be changed and tapping would therefore be ineffective and would now need to be fired in short bursts or full auto...

Then the minimi needs some serious buffing lol it's getting pretty weak.

Offline cunchy

• Soldier
  • D:!
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 05:51:47 am »
Minimi is one of the most used guns I think <__<

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 06:38:39 am »
Ya it's very often used in DMs but I dunno whether its strong or weak or okay @_@

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 06:39:33 am »
It's only used so damn much because it can be used like you would use an AUG, which brings across an entire audience to using two guns.

IMO, if the Minimi was reverted to 1.3.1, you'd make it an average weapon without making it overused or overpowered.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 10:33:05 am »
I'd take the Minimi over the Steyr any day. Far more controllable as far as I know.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 11:01:14 am »
Unless you're moving.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 11:03:25 am »
Ya it's very often used in DMs but I dunno whether its strong or weak or okay @_@
It's used in DM - because of clip size... you can kill more guys with it, than with Steyr :F.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 12:46:51 am »
Now I think I understand why people use minimi, since I tried it recently.

While it's a pretty slow automatic, it has a very high bullet clip, having 50 instead of 40. Its bullet speed is better than the aug by 10. Its damage for an auto is very impressive too. The disadvantage is that it has the worst movement inaccuracy and the longest reload of all automatics.

If you want to shoot real accurately with the minimi (like shooting someone from quite a distance away), it's a little bit like using a ruger or barret. You just stop moving a little and shoot, or prone. If you don't mind the inaccuracy (like fighting at close distances) then just charge in and shoot.

I think the effecitveness for all the autos in range combat goes this way: (short range to long range)

MP5, Aug, Minimi AK

I wouldn't say this is very accurate, I'd say that Minimi is in the middle, while Aug can handle any range very well.

Offline Meecrob

• Major
  • If god was a banana would jesus be an orange?
    • Mecksicko
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 06:09:22 am »
nah the perfect combo is barret ans socom. Barret to kill full healthed enemies and socom to wipe out the weak ones

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 07:09:29 am »
nah the perfect combo is barret ans socom. Barret to kill full healthed enemies and socom to wipe out the weak ones

That's exactly what I do lol.