Author Topic: Ways to improve bot AI  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
Ways to improve bot AI
« on: March 07, 2008, 04:09:21 am »
ok im just thinking up these randomly when writing this thread.

1) Navagation/movement skills.   Bots use backflip when nessecary, are able to quickly traverse large maps, like climbing maps for example.  And, they use the "jump forwards" ability.

2) Bots call "efc mid" "inc high" ect...

3) Bots throw flag when nassecary.

3) You can talk to them, e.g, "Blain, flag" and Blain will give you the flag, given that you have a higher chance of capping.  if not Blane replys "negatory".  also: they respond to flag position, like they hunt down the efc with a sniper rifle.  You say: "Snipers on efc, high" and a bot with a sniper rifle will go high to snipe the efc.

4) Bots use "realistic" skills, e.g, in trenchwars they duck behind rocks, fire law on an axis, plant mines, ect.

5) Bots dont pick up flamer =P

6) Bots use knife.

well, what do u guys think?

Player since late 2007

Offline chutem

• Veteran
Re: Ways to improve bot AI
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 04:18:18 am »
1) Good, but how are they gonna complete climbing maps, Hell of a waypointing task that is.

2) Could be done with scripting, BUT it would be ice as an option, or default

3) Flag throw can be tricky, and if thrown to another bot, that bot would keep moving until it hits a waypoint of the other team, jeprodising the chances of capping.

4) what do you mean by rock, an outcrop of poly's, or a gfx with a collider, the first one would be uncertain, for want of better word, to code, if you get what i mean, second would be easy enough

5)Flamer is actually quite powerful in singleplayer, but in an online match, possibly.

6) Bots will use knives (as in throwing them) if the server is the soldatserver263, the scripting one, and if there favourite weapon is selected as knife.

That's what I think.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Lemmings

• Major(1)
  • Suicide
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 04:32:07 am »
hmmm...
i like the idea of No.4 and 6
and if u want all this why not just play online...

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 05:47:33 am »
what i meant by number 4, about them ducking behind rocks, well i just call them rocks.  cos thats what most of them are, rocks/stumps/sandbags ect. i find most to be rocks.

oh yeah, and the reason i want the AI to improve, is cos online is little more than just an alternative to playing in most games.  i dont want it to go "too" far, i just want people to actually respect singleplayer a little more, open the game up to more "primitave" scenarios.  also for bots in servers, stuff like that.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 05:50:23 am by Hair|Trigger »

Player since late 2007

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 06:45:05 am »
1) Navagation/movement skills.   Bots use backflip when nessecary, are able to quickly traverse large maps, like climbing maps for example.  And, they use the "jump forwards" ability.

Good idea.

2) Bots call "efc mid" "inc high" ect...

Also good idea.

3) Bots throw flag when nassecary.

I don't like that idea, unless its mixed with the below.

3) You can talk to them, e.g, "Blain, flag" and Blain will give you the flag, given that you have a higher chance of capping.  if not Blane replys "negatory".  also: they respond to flag position, like they hunt down the efc with a sniper rifle.  You say: "Snipers on efc, high" and a bot with a sniper rifle will go high to snipe the efc.

Now that's good!

4) Bots use "realistic" skills, e.g, in trenchwars they duck behind rocks, fire law on an axis, plant mines, ect.

Oh, as in go find places where bullets can't go through for cover when needed? Not too bad.

5) Bots dont pick up flamer =P

I'm not sure, but I believe it can be scripted for online. It would be good if bots have the option of "no picking up boxes" for any purpose.

6) Bots use knife.

There is such a feature. I saw a realistic INF zombie server with such a zombie. They zombie was called "A Switchblade Zombie". They have the ability to throw knives at full force against human players. The only flaw is that these zombies can also pick up weapons which can be undesirable. Also, I'd prefer it if the zombies can auto spawn a knife after a short delay. During this delay the zombie cannot pick up anything else. This can be scripted.

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 08:46:25 am »
overall idea is all right. but why in the world would you want to play with bots instead of real people?
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:04:08 am »
As for the whole "Asking for flag thing" If you play with bots, set it so you can kill them with friendly fire.
Nothing better then letting a bot get the flag just to m79 them and cap :D
Lol, internets.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:02:50 am »
overall idea is all right. but why in the world would you want to play with bots instead of real people?

Sometimes we may have ideas of a human vs bot game. For example, Zombie games. What if the creator wants the players to be zombies while the bots be the humans?

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 10:34:31 am »
Making the bots smarter is no small feat, but I'd like to see this, honestly. Might make bots of some use outside of weapon testing and zombie matches.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

El_Spec

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 02:58:33 pm »
I think the majority of these suggestions will be difficult to code.

These suggestions are more possible.

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:13:06 pm »
6) Bots use knife.

Bots already can throw knife. (dedicatedserver263)
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 05:53:18 pm »
Wait, why would a bot need to be able to do a climb map?
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 06:39:31 pm »
6) Bots use knife.

Bots already can throw knife. (dedicatedserver263)
It's soldatserver263 :P
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 07:24:31 pm »

More intelligent bots would be nice for offline-oriented mods, like MS mod.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 10:28:24 pm »
Neo-soldat is only for offline play aswell.  Plus many servers would fit nicely with bots.  climbing servers included, there could be bots doing demos of jumps should a player request it when they get stuck at a certain point.   But i guess that'd be covered by the .gif scenery thats supposed to be comming out in 1.5, still a liable idea though, imo.

Date Posted: March 07, 2008, 10:25:48 pm
oh and this idea i just had.  Squad commands like in Battlefield 2.  where you hold a button, and as that button is being held, the cursor is set in the middle of the screen where an array of commands can be initiated (or taunts).  this could be useful for AI commands and humans alike.

Player since late 2007

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 03:21:47 pm »

More intelligent bots would be nice for offline-oriented mods, like MS mod.
Especially for the people without internet.
...ME

Offline Bjarne Betjent

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 04:43:12 pm »
The ideas is good, but i think its much scripting to get this to work.

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 05:21:48 pm »

Sometimes we may have ideas of a human vs bot game. For example, Zombie games. What if the creator wants the players to be zombies while the bots be the humans?
you've pinned me down. good game lol
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"