Author Topic: Ranking system  (Read 4893 times)

Offline Ecstasy

• Major(1)
Ranking system
« on: March 09, 2008, 05:42:01 pm »
How about some sort of ranking system?

Even if it were just for clans, some way to rank each member, which would automatically be tagged to your name in a different color.

Some sort of leveling system would definitely be a great improvement. I think it would give people more motive to play and lvl.

Offline Vilho

• Soldier
  • Scandinavian
Re: Ranking system
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:46:13 pm »
This isn't World of Warcraft, nor RuneScape and the idea itself makes me... ehh.

And the fact that even if you shine in public servers doesn't make you better than some of the skilled gather players, well, you get my point. It's impossible to make a reliable ranking system.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 06:55:59 pm »
And Soldat servers aren't like MMO servers where the server is owned by the game company. What prevents me from constantly playing with bots in my own server with an overpowered WM and thereby getting a higher rank than the guys in TrenchWars who are lucky to go on long killing sprees? What are you gonna do for those who religiously play Zombiematch?

ffs man you're playing the wrong game. This is SOLDAT!
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

El_Spec

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 08:22:22 pm »
This isn't World of Warcraft, nor RuneScape and the idea itself makes me... ehh.

And the fact that even if you shine in public servers doesn't make you better than some of the skilled gather players, well, you get my point. It's impossible to make a reliable ranking system.

Offline Ecstasy

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 08:34:59 pm »
And Soldat servers aren't like MMO servers where the server is owned by the game company. What prevents me from constantly playing with bots in my own server with an overpowered WM and thereby getting a higher rank than the guys in TrenchWars who are lucky to go on long killing sprees? What are you gonna do for those who religiously play Zombiematch?

ffs man you're playing the wrong game. This is SOLDAT!

alright alright, your right. All good points in which makes it impossible.

And hey, I'v been playing the game for about 4 or 5 years now I think without any sort of ranking system, and here I am, still playing the same old game with a couple of bug fixes in each update.

Me = Happy Camper!

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 03:20:15 pm »
I want a ranking system for members of the game.
F12. No payers get no ranking.

Offline aceth

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:28:30 pm »
I want a ranking system for members of the game.
F12. No payers get no ranking.

I'm thinking about making one ...  i have several ideas (currently writing a proposal of features etc... url will be published when its finished) ... any suggestions / feedback / features would be greatly appreciated.
also if anyones interested in beta testing on their servers, That would also be really helpful as it would give real life bugs etc.

pm me or email me (emails in my profile).

Date Posted: June 03, 2008, 01:25:37 pm
also if anyone knows of any current ranking system available, could they list them so i can make comparisons and see if this is worth doing
im a second year computer scientist and considering doing this as a third yeah dissertation project

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 06:27:02 pm »
*insert statwhoring post here*
Just play a server that already has this, and your set.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline aceth

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 07:23:59 pm »
eh?

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 09:19:31 pm »
eh?
Fine.
People would camp and try to get as high K:D as possible without trying to win in any way, just selfishily upping their rank, ruining games. And people would also create problems of farming their name up, making fake clans. Maybe, maybe if clan only, because for everyone, the above thing happens, and even with clans, depending on how its implemented, the above thing happens. Plus, there are no actual profiles in this game, so it is already pretty impossible.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:24:45 pm by LtKillroy »
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
  • Known ingame as Proniss
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 09:31:16 pm »
eh?
Fine.
People would camp and try to get as high K:D as possible without trying to win in any way, just selfishily upping their rank, ruining games. And people would also create problems of farming their name up, making fake clans. Maybe, maybe if clan only, because for everyone, the above thing happens, and even with clans, depending on how its implemented, the above thing happens. Plus, there are no actual profiles in this game, so it is already pretty impossible.

like that one guy oh whats his name..........ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wewt 50 posts

Offline Peu

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 09:32:39 pm »
Any sort of mechanized system of ranking will always be inaccurate, any human-based of ranking is subject to malice.

Unless you're measuring kills and deaths, but both are essentially meaningless

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 09:37:33 pm »
Any sort of mechanized system of ranking will always be inaccurate, any human-based of ranking is subject to malice.

Unless you're measuring kills and deaths, but both are essentially meaningless

Humans are imperfect thus impossible to make any thing perfect

P.s. idk were that came from...

Offline Peu

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 02:41:06 am »
No one's looking for perfection, I hope. I just wonder what the purpose of a ranking system actually is. Ego nurturing and self validation? A way for clans to browse player characteristics? A sense of progress?

Maybe its simply a matter of intention in gameplay; the difference in the abstract fulfillment of unabashed enjoyment in killing gosteks versus the concrete fulfillment of the scoreboard.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 03:35:19 am »
NOES!!

There are applications and stuff that will record stuff like this if you want.

I'd really not appreciate having my kill:death ratio recorded because it's usually negative : P

Plus, those people that say stuff like "oh I'm having a shit game" could cause problems with it..

Player since late 2007

Offline aceth

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 09:47:06 am »
"there are no actual profiles in this game, so it is already pretty impossible."
Yeaaah i have actually played the game before and my proposal / project will eventually get round this problem :P

Any sort of mechanized system of ranking will always be inaccurate.
how'd you work that one out? any examples?

Humans are imperfect thus impossible to make any thing perfect

You havn't met me ;)

There are applications and stuff that will record stuff like this if you want.

Like ?!?!

I'd really not appreciate having my kill:death ratio recorded because it's usually negative : P

It's already been considered that some people may or may not want their stats to be recorded

Plus, those people that say stuff like "oh I'm having a bollocks game" could cause problems with it..

problems such as ?

Offline Peu

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 12:38:23 pm »
Well, I'm assuming ranking is for skill, not kills or deaths. Kills and deaths are not skill alone.

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 01:45:07 pm »
Well, I'm assuming ranking is for skill, not kills or deaths. Kills and deaths are not skill alone.
i couldent have said it better myself

Offline Requiem-

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 08:40:10 am »
Sounds like you're trying to put some RPG-ish influences into Soldat... If you wanna play like this, go play on a server running one of Avarax's sub game-mode thingies. There you can lvl all you want. But to implement this into every server... No.

Offline one crazy mofo 845

• Major(1)
    • myspace
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 02:17:42 pm »

Me = Happy Camper!

campers would obviously have high levels, because it would probably be a kill per death ratio of some sort.

id like to have a leveling system of some sort, but theirs just to many possible problems that come along. and their would always be some noob who cheats the system

Offline w00titsme

• Soldier
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 03:18:20 pm »
How about some sort of ranking system?

Even if it were just for clans, some way to rank each member, which would automatically be tagged to your name in a different color.

Some sort of leveling system would definitely be a great improvement. I think it would give people more motive to play and lvl.
Thing is, not all clans rank the same, for example, muffin has their messed  up way, DO has theirs, and the regular ctf clans have theirs. Defaulting it would definently be a bad idea, soldat is open source, so you're somehow changing that in my opinion by making a default ranking chart.
Make your Coca Cola fresh!

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 04:51:34 pm »
if they ever made soldat so that in the game itself like in the options tab if there was something that you could checkoff and it would record your kills/deaths i would use it

Offline Eclipse

• Soldier
  • :D
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 07:53:28 pm »
This has been suggested before. We dont want another Soldier Front.
All teh Piezors Shall beh Minezors!

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 07:55:54 pm »
This isn't an MMO.  Any ranking system in Soldat should be done by a particular site/group of servers.  There shouldn't be a global ranking system.

Offline Spec. Ops

• Major
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 08:23:52 pm »
Do you guys only play MMO's and Soldat? Lots of new games have rankings look at COD4. It might make people play more but when a moderator says a site/group should do it means there to lazy so its not happening.

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 10:35:16 pm »
This isn't an MMO.

um yess it is exactly that...mmo is Masiv Multiplayer Online. altho u can play it offline

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 11:56:04 pm »
This has been suggested so many times before. If a server wants to run a script that has these (Hexer for example, very fun) then good for them. However, I do not think that there should be a game-wide ranking system.

Offline Peu

• Soldier
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 09:33:29 am »
This isn't an MMO.

um yess it is exactly that...mmo is Masiv Multiplayer Online. altho u can play it offline

Massively online means that several hundred or thousand people are on the same server at the same time. Soldat creates small <14 player servers, and there's nothing massive about that. It's just multiplayer and online, not MMO

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 02:27:13 pm »
Some servers already have a ranking system - just look out for them!
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 12:45:30 am »

Massively online means that several hundred or thousand people are on the same server at the same time. Soldat creates small <14 player servers,

...size is relitive

Offline Peu

• Soldier
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 12:03:23 pm »
Compared to 1,000, 14 is relatively small.