Author Topic: A computer question (stumped me)  (Read 643 times)

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
A computer question (stumped me)
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:53:06 am »
I was told by my girlfriend, who has a friend that works in computers (who told her) that if you modify your motherboard to many times, it craps itself and you have to replace it.
Is this true?

Coz I'm stumped. If I start of with 512mb of RAM in a basic computer, then slowly upgrade it to 2gig, then add a new graphics card, extra USB ports, a network card, a new hard drive,and a TV Tuner card on top of that... The motherboards gonna shit itself?

???

I'm just stumped at that.
Just another soul to burn.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
Re: A computer question (stumped me)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:57:56 am »
Uhhh no, that would never happen. Unless you zapped it with static electricity by not taking precautions to prevent such a thing from happening. You could basically take it apart and put it back together as many times as you wanted, and it will continue working just fine.

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:00:52 pm »
The reason I ask is coz the girlfriend is worried that if I add more RAM to the PC... its gonna fry because of everything thats been added so far.
Silly girl >.<
Just another soul to burn.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 12:04:41 pm »
The reason I ask is coz the girlfriend is worried that if I add more RAM to the PC... its gonna fry because of everything thats been added so far.
Silly girl >.<

Could potentially be an issue if the motherboard doesn't support the speed of ram you use, and the size of module you use; I was helping someone a while ago who was wondering why his motherboard wouldn't boot when he installed his new ram, and turns out that his old board only supported max 512mb modules across 3 slots, for a total of 1536mb.

In that particular case it didn't do any damage, but it's possible.

Also, particularily when doing many upgrades, ensure the PSU is capable of supplying enough power to power the system. If the PSU isn't rated at a high temperature (40-50C/104-122F), assume it's rated at 25C to be safe, and assume that under load/temperature it's only capable of delivering half of the rated power.

Then using a power supply calculator such as this one find what your power needs are.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:22:10 pm by chrisgbk »

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 12:44:57 pm »
Her friend is full of crap and most likely said that (if he's a guy) in a vain attempt to impress her.

Keep an eye out for that one, he's a sly dog.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

El_Spec

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 08:27:02 pm »
Its like reformatting, you can do it an infinite amount of times, and your hard-drive will never fail or lose reliability.

The only way I know that you can potential destroy your motherboard is that you overclock your processor speed too high.