Author Topic: Halo 2 style melee attack  (Read 6400 times)

Offline Yuth

• Major(1)
Re: Halo 2 style melee attack
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2006, 01:23:18 pm »
I'd say just add some kind of jet lunge. So you can fly faster yet lose your fuel pretty fast.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 01:25:06 pm by Yuth »

Offline Doom_Goat

• Major(1)
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 12:37:32 am »
by the time you get to the enymy you will have either been sniped, naded, or sprayed

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 10:14:49 am »
well then what's the point of punching...  Actually my main problem is that punching is so instantaneous that it's so close to impossible to punch someone.  It would be good enough for me if the time frame can be extended during which someone can get hurt when I click to punch.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Wormdundee

• Soldier
  • Ruger what?
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 10:47:27 am »
Punching is almost impossible because Soldat isn't a melee attack game. Punching is only in the game so if you don't have a weapon you're not completely defenseless.

Plus, it should only take around 10 seconds or less to find another gun lying around if you've lost yours somehow. Pretty much, punching is for disarming only, and that's only if you happen to be beside the guy you're trying to kill.

What's easier, lunging at someone or shooting them in the head?

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 11:03:32 am »
my point is so friggin simple!  Since punching exists, MM must have thought that it would be used (even if only to a small extent).  It's very weak and I'm not saying turn the fist into a main weapon in the game - merely make it a bit easier to hit!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Mr. Jenkins

• Soldier
  • AKA "Oneburt"
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006, 08:10:47 pm »
I disagree. I think that punching was put in so that if you were standing on top of the enemy you wouldn't be helpless and just shoot infront of him. It would be stupid if no one could attack you when you are on top of them.

This would probably be a noobish move, seeing as you pass by enemies constantly. Other people would be like zombies, get too close and you die. We'd probably see people just punching around and around, from one person to another and that would be REALLY annoying. As someone said before me (can't remember who), it works better in a 3d world where there's a lot more physical space. Instead of 100 m2, you would have 100 m3! So you don't pass by enemies nearly as often.

I think the idea for exerting more fuel at a time would make the game a little too complicated. Or at least on the path to being too complicated.

Offline Cube

• Camper
  • Go Cube go!
    • Cube's Portal
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 11:15:41 am »
hey, i like the idea!
Hmm, any idea what to write here?

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 12:50:14 pm »
With all regards to the unrealistic natures of soldat, in how many firefights have you seen people throw their guns down and try to melee their enemy? Also, if you wish you can use the combat knife, this is extremely effective at close range if you know what your doing and is pretty similar to a sword and only differs in the way that it's animations are different.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline Cube

• Camper
  • Go Cube go!
    • Cube's Portal
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 12:53:36 pm »
actually this post has been started 6 months ago :P but i still liked it.

zamorak, check your pm's plz
Hmm, any idea what to write here?

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2007, 03:23:15 pm »
I don't know. The current method of melee attacks is pretty fun. I don't know how many times I've rushed up to someone, knocked the gun out of their hands and finished unloading my clip into them. It's one of the most satisfying feelings in Soldat for me.
This doesn't sound like it would be a very good improvement.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline LeetFidle

• Camper
  • Poop!
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 03:41:25 pm »
Melee attacks will be useless in Soldat! It's too fast paced, the person who is charging would be killed.

well so is farcry.  and useing melee in farcry is very very usefull.
Holy Poop!

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Lifeā„¢
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 07:12:33 pm »
Noz, punching might kill in 2-3 hits but try accomplishing this on an online server; even a public. You'll be hard pressed to ever hit anyone.

And this gun can be (partialy) modded in. All it takes is an extremely well tweaked chainsaw : using the 'ol trick of negative speed vaules, up the damage to somewhere around 17000 and zoom past your enemies. In theory the shot gun pellets ('cuz that's what modded chainsaws use) would slaughter the enemy in front of you. On the other hand, it would similarily rip through the unfortunate ally behind you which can cause a problem.

I'm not into spending hours Weapon Modding, so feel free to try it.

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.