Author Topic: Camping - A Tactical Overview  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
Camping - A Tactical Overview
« on: July 17, 2006, 11:34:08 pm »
No, this is not a rant, well maybe it is. You decide!

I'm sick and tired of people going on about how campers ruin their lives, and whine, and moan, and attempt to votekick said camper. It has gotten to the point that campers are often hated by the Soldat community. You complain about how a camper sits there and just takes a free kill.

Maybe next time, before you complain, you should consider this.
Camping IS a legit tactic. Simply because someone decides to hide somewhere to get an advantageous spot does not instantly mean that the camper is a "n00b," but instead, is employing tactics that he/she thinks would benefit the team.

Camping does have its limits however. For instance, CTF, if the whole team camps and then doesn't bother to get up after the EFC, what good will camping do you? Also, even though camping is a legit tactic, it can be overused to the point of absolute frustration.

Counter-measures can be taken however. A good part of the time, campers are hiding in the same spot, often, there are a few choice spots that will almost always be used. Learn these spots. Even without conciously thinking about it, you are memorizing where these spots are. Remember, knowledge is half the battle.

The other half is killing them. If you are an auto user, you may choose to spray spots that are often camped, or even get right in their face about it, blasting them with auto shots full on. With semi-automatic weapons, if you know your bullet arc, and know a camper is there, start taking shots at them. Even if you don't kill them, chances are they will move, and you should be able to catch them then.

Anyway, just thought I'd clear that topic up a bit. Think its SoldatWiki material?

Offline Meep.

• Camper
Re: Camping - A Tactical Overview
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 11:40:25 pm »
Mm, well said.  Yeah, camping can, belive it or not, take skill in choosing what spot to hide in, the colors you choose (clothing wise), and making sure you aren't exposed.  Playing dead is one of the fine arts spawned from camping.  It's all fine if there are maybe 1 or 2 campers defending and the rest are going for the flag and what not.  So, yeah, when an entire team is doing it, then it is definitaly out of hand. 

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 01:04:32 am »
The other half is killing them. If you are an auto user, you may choose to spray spots that are often camped, or even get right in their face about it, blasting them with auto shots full on. With semi-automatic weapons, if you know your bullet arc, and know a camper is there, start taking shots at them. Even if you don't kill them, chances are they will move, and you should be able to catch them then.

I agree with most everything you said except for this, and only since you make it sound easier than usual. A flag camper in the bush in Equinox, for example, can be a major pain since there is nothing you can do before you're in his range. Typically, bink can work on a camper, but it isn't 100% effective since you both need to put yourself into the camper's range (two screens for a Barret camper... before you can even spot the shot's source) and then hope that the bullets strike him before the shot goes off to start the bink. You'll have an okay chance with a delayed camper, but if the camper preloads the Barret shot, you're screwed.

Then, when you suspect where a camper is, you don't have but an instant to fire else the shot kills you once you have him in view, so that leads to carpet bombing with grenades. It usually takes a ton of wasted firepower to draw the camper out and disorient him enough to miss his shot. This is what's annoying. It also forces the other team to start camping as well to stay competitive, and I personally just hate when that happens since I think camping sucks the fun out of what is to be a fast paced action game.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 03:01:58 am »
It has gotten to the point that campers are often hated by the Soldat community. You complain about how a camper sits there and just takes a free kill.

I disagree, mate. Throughout the time of the forums, there's been a billion posts like this. None so covering, I might say, but still alot quite like it. It seems to me the general thought(of forumers, at least) is that camping is a fully allowed and, more important, accepted action and tactic.

I agree in all else you're saying, actually.
Good one, dude :)
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline boer

• Major
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 03:19:12 am »
what good is camping against the m79?...

Offline X-Rayz

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 04:16:28 am »
Theres another way to beat persistent campers. Most of the time for me the camper will be at the end of a tunnel, which has an entrance intersecting up from below into the tunnel or down from above. So, what i do, is when i'm coming from above into the tunnel i drop like a stone into it. But at the last second you jet and stop just above the tunnel, still out of range of the camper. More often then not, the camper will shoot below your feet, thinking that you dropped into their range of fire. And then you can drop into there and kick his ass.

Or you could just go prone and hope he misses.

Offline Chakra

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 06:37:15 am »
Theres a fine line in gaming between 'legit tactic' and 'fun'.

You'd honestly prefer hunting down some fella hiding in a bush than mince it with someone on equal terms?
MM; seriously Chakra, stop the fisting
Yes, I'm still alive.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 06:55:54 am »
I never find people calling other people "Campers" or such... It seems dead to me.

But camping is a tactic. So is spray (Yes it is)
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 07:34:19 am »
It has gotten to the point that campers are often hated by the Soldat community. You complain about how a camper sits there and just takes a free kill.

I disagree, mate. Throughout the time of the forums, there's been a billion posts like this. None so covering, I might say, but still alot quite like it. It seems to me the general thought(of forumers, at least) is that camping is a fully allowed and, more important, accepted action and tactic.

I agree in all else you're saying, actually.
Good one, dude :)
Not so much outside of realistic, usually a team or a person once killed by the camper makes him a marked man, especially if the camper is stupid enough to stay in the same spot once the entire red (or blue team, or purple if you are color blind) knows where you are.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Emperor

• Major(1)
  • Current soldat nick: Cadaver
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 09:19:56 am »
I don't care as long as it stays in INF, CTF or HTF. There it's just an understandable part of the strategy.
But some people actually camp in DM!

THAT'S the noobish way to camp. Especially in duels.
"Than" and "Then". See the difference?
"Noone" is NOT a word.

Offline Night Vision

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 01:44:55 pm »
I don't care as long as it stays in INF, CTF or HTF. There it's just an understandable part of the strategy.

Wow. Really? They- wow.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 02:40:03 pm »

Why is it anymore 'noobish' to camp in Dm than any other gametype? Let's discuss what DM is really about.. Staying alive or Getting Kills? Camping can serve'em both fine. As can spray. I think Chakra said all that needed to be said up there.. Well, so did I, but Chakra just had to squeeze in.. ¬_¬
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Meep.

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 04:24:12 pm »
Camping in DM is far from "Noobish."  It is fun, it pisses them off and if they don't see you in the bush or where ever, it is their own damn fault.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 04:28:20 pm by Meep. »

Offline general left right

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 07:45:30 pm »
Oh just a simple fact, there are many camping spots that arent crates or bushes.  Remember to check pillars, bonus spawns, and other places I love to use.
Sound Effects and Overdramatics

Offline air139

• Major
    • Air139 @ Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 03:29:18 pm »
there is A heavyer art to realistic camping i might post about later

Offline Hootie hoo

• Camper
  • "Noone" isn't a word.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 05:12:03 pm »
what good is camping against the m79?...
If you can't find him, how are you going to 'nade him down? And if you CAN find him, remember the m79 is short range and the barret is effective from pretty much anywhere. He'll blow your head inside out before you're in m79 range.

I don't like camping because of the lack of required skill, it's cheap, they didn't deserve the kill, and because I suck at it.
Image removed please read the forum rules.

Offline Meep.

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 05:40:58 pm »
I guess we can just leave it at this; newbies shouldn't camp and camping is best suited for realistic mode.

Offline A

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 11:17:03 pm »
The Barret Saw combo is the most powerful in the game. I do it all the time, and as long as when you fire off a shot you're running like the dickens, nobody calls you a noob.

Offline Night Vision

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 10:21:03 am »
Camping in DM is far from "Noobish." It is fun, it pisses them off and if they don't see you in the bush or where ever, it is their own damn fault.
The thing is, I don't think it gets as many kills as you would normally get. I don't really play dm that much, so feel free to correct me.