Author Topic: Yahoo users may not be receiving forum e-mails  (Read 803 times)

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Yahoo users may not be receiving forum e-mails
« on: March 17, 2008, 05:50:41 pm »
Once again, Yahoo has done stupid crap to their e-mail infrastructure as part of their ridiculously over-aggressive anti-spam policies.

I deleted a lot of unactivated accounts earlier, and in doing so I have the forums set to e-mail users telling them that their unactivated forum account has been deleted.  This resulted in a batch of a few hundred e-mails being sent to yahoo users.

Yahoo decided that this must be spam because it is a batch of e-mail in a short period of time.  As a result, they have blocked all e-mail from my e-mail infrastructure.

The really stupid part is that they use "temporary failure" messages for this.  They kept giving temporary failure messages for a few hours until my mail server gave up and sent the messages back to the forums with permanent failure messages, so these Yahoo users will never get these messages. 

Additionally, no other yahoo mail users will get mail from U13 or the forums until Yahoo undoes this block.

I have been sending legit e-mail to Yahoo from these servers for over 2 years now.  You would think they would keep track of things like this and never block/defer e-mail from trusted servers (servers that have sent nothing but legit e-mail for any period of time, especially a long one).

edit: the problem appears to be resolved for now.  Please post here if you have any problems on the forums with a yahoo account.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 06:39:53 pm by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: Yahoo users may not be receiving forum e-mails
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 06:59:33 pm »
Thats why I use Gmail... and MSN... And yahoo... and another MSN.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan