Author Topic: Solutions to decrease the M79  (Read 9248 times)

Offline Bjarne Betjent

• Camper
Solutions to decrease the M79
« on: March 19, 2008, 03:52:27 pm »
I want to share some of my thoughts of what could been done with the M79 to make it to more of a "fair" weapon.
Please say what of this suggestions you actually likes, if you don't like any of them, please say so, but add what of them is the best if you're forced to choose one.

- Take away the "granade effect" you miss someone badly, but still kill them because they are at low health, wich isnt possible with any other weapon

- Increase the reload time a little.

- Dunno what it's called, but like the sniper, you need to hold down the mouse button for a little time before the shot actually fires. Dosnt have to be as long as the sniper, but just a little, so M79's can't kill immediately it sees someone.

- Had one more thing to suggest, but cannot remember what, LOL ;D

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
Re: Solutions to decrease the M79
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:57:35 pm »
Damn... couldn't yo' all leave this bloody grenade launcher alone?! Let's add startup time to every weapons except aug! It would be fair! Of course the game would begin even more realistic!... The names of weapons could be changed to "S*ity GL", "OMG Barrett SuX coz it'S .50 CAL! like CANON!". Hey. It really have no sense...

Offline Vilho

• Soldier
  • Scandinavian
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 04:02:31 pm »
What's the big deal with M79, I can't understand that you're creating these solutions just because you don't like it.

Damn... couldn't yo' all leave this bloody grenade launcher alone?! Let's add startup time to every weapons except aug! It would be fair! Of course the game would begin even more realistic!... The names of weapons could be changed to "S*ity GL", "OMG Barrett SuX coz it'S .50 CAL! like CANON!". Hey. It really have no sense...

And by the way: PaFel's right.

Offline Bjarne Betjent

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 04:04:52 pm »
This is my opinion + many others opinions - It's overpowered.

Offline ghg

• Camper
  • Village Idiot
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 04:15:42 pm »
Apparently every fecking weapon is either overpowered or nerfed for being overpowered. Why not just triple player health?

(Ok feckergot software, lemme post already 5 odd times)
-=Gradius wuz you=-

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 04:23:31 pm »
... Technical info about standard 40mm grenades...

...last column is best...

El_Spec

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 04:41:53 pm »
More of a weapon balance suggestion.

But I do agree that the M79 does needs a delay like a Barrett.  Its too damn easy to kill players with it.

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 04:51:26 pm »
The M79 is fine with or without a nerf, you see someone with a M79, you have a steyr aug, ak, or anyother long range automatic, they're doomed, I don't see why so many players are unable to avoid the M79's grenade. It seems like the M79 itself frustrates players, even though it doesn't rack in as many players as other guns. The paranoia of the M79 launcher is way over used. As said before, it doesn't rack in as many kills as other guns, and it is very easy to dodge a M79 grenade.

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 04:58:37 pm »
Agree with Thinkto. It's mainly psychological effect. Caused by "anti-M79 propaganda". ;D

El_Spec

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 04:59:41 pm »
Compared to the speed and damage bullets from the automatics have will have no effect to a M79.  It takes several shots to take someone down, the M79 can instantly kill an attacker. Unless you're from a far range, the M79 is the dominant weapon.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 05:02:53 pm »
What about bink for the M79?

It could also have a side effect that it encourages using the weapon as an indirect-fire weapon, like in real life.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Pragma

• Soldier
  • Blood, Guts and Gunsmoke
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 05:09:32 pm »
More of a weapon balance suggestion.

But I do agree that the M79 does needs a delay like a Barrett.  Its too damn easy to kill players with it.

I disagree.  It's easy to kill at point-blank, or suicide other players, but it takes skill to use this at range.  For the most part, that makes it barely any better than using plain grenades.  Its pretty well balanced, provided the opposition knows how to cope with it's strengths.  Its just fine the way it is.

I play using the m79 almost exclusively, and I've learned that the only reason why it's a nuissance to other players is because they're not adapting their tactics accordingly.  You can't fight an m79 user like you would someone with a AUG - you can't just hover and out-aim your opponent - you have to move, and select your cover carefully too. :)

That said, I get pwned all the time by pros in the pub servers.  Even in good games, my K/D ratio is total crap since using this thing gets you killed - a lot.  Experienced players know the weaknesses of all weapons and how to exploit them.

Rugers, and Baretts are more than a match for this weapon due to a punishingly high damage capacity and accuracy well outside the m79's range.  MP5s also rip up m79 users since it's easy to spray a whole clip at point-blank range while the m79 is still reloading.  I've died due to combat knife and grenade strikes almost as many times as I have from regular weapons fire - mostly because of the reload time on my own weapon.

Also, it's only effective as an assalt weapon in solitary combat.  Target #2 usually has my number since I'm still reloading.

Honestly, the m79 is a so-so support weapon, but it's real strength is as a CTF machine.  Rushing with three grenades on your belt allows you to deplete a sizable chunk of the opposition in their base, and then 'nade boost out before they can respawn.  However, a team with even just one good sniper, ruger or MP5 on defence can make that a no-go very quickly.

Date Posted: March 19, 2008, 06:05:30 pm
The M79 is fine with or without a nerf, you see someone with a M79, you have a steyr aug, ak, or anyother long range automatic, they're doomed, I don't see why so many players are unable to avoid the M79's grenade. It seems like the M79 itself frustrates players, even though it doesn't rack in as many players as other guns. The paranoia of the M79 launcher is way over used. As said before, it doesn't rack in as many kills as other guns, and it is very easy to dodge a M79 grenade.

This.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 05:12:10 pm by Pragma »

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake.  Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 05:15:32 pm »
Pragma, I fully agree with you. M79 should be used as team support weapon.

And yes, it's assault weapon. Good tactic is to throw few frag's at enemy base and then shoot with M79. That creates big explosion that at least pulls enemies away so you can get flag and run out covering by Mk.23 fire.

Btw: out for today.

Offline Duck Boi

• Soldier
  • ('')('_')('')
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 05:45:01 pm »
I think, a smaller speed and more damage, so people get splashback from point blank shots
And I thought m79 had a delay? Just very very short..

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 06:15:04 pm »
M79 is ok. It's overused by noobs - just due to the fact that it's 1-hit kill.

It has 3 sec reload.
It has 40 bink (1.5 -  +15 bink.)
It has moveacc.
It has short range.

What's wrong with it?

Offline Snake

• Soldier
  • Chu Canadien Criss!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 06:21:26 pm »
M79 is ok. It's overused by noobs - just due to the fact that it's 1-hit kill.

It has 3 sec reload.
It has 40 bink (1.5 - +15 bink.)
It has moveacc.
It has short range.

What's wrong with it?

I agree with Ziem

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 06:29:32 pm »
Bink should be 80~100. 40 still isn't enough bink to be easily pressured by autos.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 06:29:41 pm »
You can unload enough bullets(with all weapons) onto a player with a m79 while they are reloading to kill them. If you miss then its your fault. M79ers have to learn how to play against everyone else. The barrett was nerfed because it could shoot across entire maps at a fast rate. The only weapon to have less range than a m79 is the spas.

In short, if you can't are constantly being killed by one weapon.. YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG! Stop crying cause you run headstrong into a m79er and lose.
@ii

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 06:30:27 pm »
Map choice also is a factor though. Ugh, not ctf_Ash again.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Mastadi

• Camper
  • What makes me a good demoman!?
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 08:57:27 pm »
I believe m79 should have bigger self-damage. It would prevent kamikazing with it.