Author Topic: More sfx.  (Read 2130 times)

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
More sfx.
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:46:53 am »
My 1st idea is to add few sound taunts to game. I mean something like "Go go go", "silence", "folow me", "damn it!". It would be nice to hear some soldiers shouting in game. ;)

2nd idea is to add deploy sound to every weapon (something like "knife.wav"). It could be sound of reload or unfolding stock.

3rd idea is not that important but it would be helpfull. It's makin' subfolders in Sfx folder so there's Sfx/weapons folder and etc. (mainly "weapons", "mpgame" [flag capture sound etc.], "gostek" [step, hit, arg sounds]).

Date Posted: 18 March 2008, 23:04:26
Little change. On sound taunts it would be also good to add animation (same as "roar" but the gostek would catch the weapon with one hand and make signal with other one).

Date Posted: 19 March 2008, 11:56:37
Damn... is anyone interested with this idea?

Offline Pragma

• Soldier
  • Blood, Guts and Gunsmoke
Re: More sfx.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:00:34 pm »
My 1st idea is to add few sound taunts to game.

F12

Back in the day, Starsiege Tribes had a *beautiful* setup to do this and more.  You'd hit [chat] (like CTRL+V) and then three keystrokes would drill through as many sub menues until you got the phrase you wanted - it would then broadcast as text in the chat as well as a sound-effect of the voice saying those words.  Training yourself on this system was cake, all voice commands were like typing 3-4 letter "words" with your left-hand on the keyboard.

Players could pick from several, well acted, male and female voices.  The canned speech was more than enough for CTF and DM play, and was complete with tactical commands, taunts and "swearing" (e.g. "Shazbot!").

Of course, it was largely out-moded by voice-over-internet-chat which just became feasable by the time Tribes was starting to wane in popularity.    I think that's why nobody else has used such a system since.  Chalk one up for universities with ubiquitious high-bandwidth access.

But to hell with conventions.   :D  For Soldat, players could select a given installed voice-pack-id (implemented as a GUID) in their player config.  The server would forward that id to every client (along with their name and such) but the client for use.  The client will default to a "standard" voicepack if the requested id is not found.  Players could grab the latest voicepacks from some soldat site if they want the richer gaming experience, or abstain if they can't be bothered, since the client would just use the default sounds.  Not simple, but doable IMO.

Anyway, I'd love to see Soldat/Link-Dead offer this kind of deep modding support for all aspects of the game - MM would have an army of artists fleshing things out for him if he took this route.   Points #2 and #3 also make sense to that end.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake.  Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 02:04:41 pm »
Anyway, I'd love to see Soldat/Link-Dead offer this kind of deep modding support for all aspects of the game

That should be done. Maybe some of modders would "dissapear" but mods would be in way higher quality. It also will be still easy to mod game but profesionalist could mod it more.

Offline Pragma

• Soldier
  • Blood, Guts and Gunsmoke
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 04:40:03 pm »
I also mentioned this over on the "Effects." thread - this could help open the doors for internationalizing/regionalizing soldat-speak for all.

The idea here is to be able to have a command (like "/shout get_the_flag") that when bound to a taunt, triggers a canned response on all client machines in a game - at least text if not both text and sound.  That response would be configured on the local client as per the user's language settings.

The only reason why I mention this is becuase Soldat is very unique in that it has a global user base, with people that speak a wide range of languages.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake.  Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

Offline GangstaKirby

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 04:12:35 pm »
I think this is a very good idea, just as long as people don't spam the words they say. F12 =D

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 04:16:17 pm »
Stuff like /victory? Sounds like ANNOYING to me.

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 06:01:28 pm »
There's already one too many taunts with sounds.

That, and, it's just not warranted, the time for implementation would not be well spent and there are certainly other things that the developer's time could be used for.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 09:05:32 pm »
My 1st idea is to add few sound taunts to game. I mean something like "Go go go", "silence", "folow me", "damn it!". It would be nice to hear some soldiers shouting in game. ;)

2nd idea is to add deploy sound to every weapon (something like "knife.wav"). It could be sound of reload or unfolding stock.

3rd idea is not that important but it would be helpfull. It's makin' subfolders in Sfx folder so there's Sfx/weapons folder and etc. (mainly "weapons", "mpgame" [flag capture sound etc.], "gostek" [step, hit, arg sounds]).

Little change. On sound taunts it would be also good to add animation (same as "roar" but the gostek would catch the weapon with one hand and make signal with other one).

1. Unnecessary, F11

2. Good idea, useful for mods as well. F12

3. You don't have to do that. You can either:
- make a list on what sfx is what (eg: ak74-fire is ak-74 shooting)
- make your own personal folder of the sfx and do your own categorizing in that folder. You can refer to this folder to help you when modding etc.

4. F11

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 08:25:49 am »
1. F12
Because I'd like to add Soap's "I'm gonna fukk your ass!!" scream into the game when you kill an enemy
(if you don't know what I just said, then you are a retard and should know more about BERSERKER)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 08:27:31 am by Horve »

Offline Überschall

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 09:56:08 am »
Oh god no. Spamming with text taunts is bad enough.
"Everyone who casts a shadow seems to stand in the sun" ~Wolfsheim

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 10:14:02 am »
Oh god no. Spamming with text taunts is bad enough.

So make it like in BF2 (automatic mute for some time if spaming).

Offline Überschall

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 10:17:01 am »
Rather, only a maximum of two voice taunts every 30 seconds or something.
"Everyone who casts a shadow seems to stand in the sun" ~Wolfsheim

Offline FireAssassinLX

• Major(1)
    • Darkness Games
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 10:25:02 am »

I the first and the second sugestions.The third I didnt understood very well...
Peace
OWN3D!PWN3D!