Author Topic: my first attemps at weps  (Read 11022 times)

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
my first attemps at weps
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:23:19 am »
here are my first attempts at a weapon using the pallete

tell me what u think guys

Date Posted: March 27, 2008, 12:33:11 am
for those who are interested, i have made fixed versions of the gun for use in game, just unzip the desired zip file into you soldat directory, start the game and wulla, enjoy your new LAW gfx, i have tried them out myself and its just like ive downloaded a wep skin from Selfkill, lets see what u guys think of the skin

il upload as i go starting with the image of the gun

Date Posted: March 27, 2008, 02:22:06 am
here is the skins for the Law
check out my server! click here

If at first you don't succeed, Improvise! :D

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
Re: my first attemps at weps
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 01:38:42 am »
Your shading is nice, but it is WAY to large for ingame use.
Just another soul to burn.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:47:51 am »
thats why i made the zip files

the two pics above are for show only

Date Posted: March 27, 2008, 02:46:13 am
btw the zip files are the ones that contain the perfectly sized files for ingame use, if they need updating tell me

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 07:02:46 am »
Wth?... Sorry but it can't be named LAW...

Btw: TBC mean that in weapon menu in Soldat you 'weapon' would look too big.

Btw2: Quite good shading but, sorry shapes are just "don't know how to explain how bad they look like".

If you would repair the outlines then I see that shading won't be much problem for you. ;)

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 05:45:01 pm »
i named it law cuz thats the gun it replaces
so perhaps shade in the outlines?
anything need doing to the actual ingame gun?

btw ppl im fixing the ingame gun to get rid of the green spots i noticed when testing, i will attach it to this post when its done

*edit* you got until 4pm Pacific standard time to  post in your "needs doing" post before i attach the next fix
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 05:52:40 pm by frosty »

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 05:52:32 pm »
No. Keep the outline, work on the shape, and more specifically, the size. The curvature of the handles also needs work.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 03:52:50 am »
what should i do to the shape?
and the curve make it more round?
and is it too big lengthwise or heightwise?

here is a wep menu display fix, if this is ok tell me and i will put it in a zip file with the correct size

Date Posted: March 27, 2008, 06:53:43 pm
this pic will not work in game as it has not been resized and renamed yet so post a reply here if its good or not good so i can work on the zip file

Date Posted: March 27, 2008, 07:29:32 pm
Here is the next fix, for those who downloaded the above zip file, plz download the below zip file, this zip file also contains the fix that eliminates the green dots around the ingame gun and the wep menu gun has a more round shoulder bit

Tested: working rating: 10/10, works 100% no bugs

Enjoy  ;D

if anything else u would like done to the gun, tell me, otherwise i will begin work on a new gun

Date Posted: March 27, 2008, 09:26:43 pm
here is the next one, a phazor knife, dont worry its meant to have a very small green blade, download it and tell me what u think, i know the pics a bit small here but i just resized it too early, anyways it has a light green blade end, im also going to make a red and blue version as well, here is the green blade version

Date Posted: March 28, 2008, 01:13:09 am
here is the blue version

Date Posted: March 28, 2008, 01:17:44 am
here is the red version

Date Posted: March 28, 2008, 01:20:35 am
heres the next weapon, a cutthroat throwing blade, remember, the picture above the zip file is for show only, if you want to use the wep download the zip NOT THE BMP

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 05:37:31 am »
Weapons are way too big and they should have curves. Ure making only circles,blocks and straight lines.

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 08:16:41 am »
Try go not make bigger weapons than 42~60x16 or 60x19 in case of Minigun (because minigun is last weapon in primaries and you have bigger area for it. Any other weapon can have x19 but below and above weapons need to be more resized/smaller to prevent overlapping.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 08:48:28 am »
I was going to look up a LAW for reference to give advice, but I noticed that the LAW used in Soldat doesn't even have handles. What type of gun is it, or did you just make your own?
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 11:16:35 pm »
i made my own... are you guys using the zip files i attached?

if you are trying to use the pictures IT WONT FREAKING WORK, USE THE FREAKING ZIP FILES I ATTACHED, THATS WHAT IT IS FOR DANGIT

Date Posted: March 29, 2008, 12:13:36 am
im sorry about my language above but it seems you guys are too damn ignorant, so heres the layout AGAIN

For those who have been using the zip files, i thank you and i advise you to look away at this point

Picture first then the link for the picture, then the link for the zip file UNDERNEATH the link for the picture, look at the end, if it doesnt have .zip at the end then it ISNT the one to try to use

if this still isnt clear then u guys have problems

and im serious about this

btw

i know the gun is too big, the ZIP file has the correct sized files, and they cannot possibly be too big, because i have resized them to the correct size AND edited them so they work

AND i have tested them and they are the perfect size

plz do not hassle me with these silly posts, if i get any more silly posts like these that ARE NOT following instructions, i will report u

Thankyou

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 12:23:39 am by frosty »

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 11:50:06 pm »
Don't make it so big.

Also, if anyone reports anyone, it will be me reporting you, You're taking up space by posting large letters, which i guess could be called unnecessary.
They give you advice, and you yell at them...
Lol, internets.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 12:23:58 am »
i keep telling people to download the zip files but noone listens, sofar the majority of my zip files have have only been downloaded once or twice which tells me only one or two people are downloading them, and i am following the advice,. for example, none of my weps even go past 15 x 40, which tells me that, noone is downloading the zip files, they are trying to use the picture which i have said 100 times  IT WONT WORK, but since you ppl cant follow instructions, admins, please lock and delete this topic, itl sure as hell save me alot of stress, unless the zip files start getting used within 1 day, i am abandoning this topic altogether

as i have said, the advice is useless because noone is downloading and using the zip files, all of which say the gun is too big, how is that possible when i made them all similar size to those in the weps in the soldat directory? AND FOR THE LAST TIME I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE PICTURES

Date Posted: March 29, 2008, 01:08:54 am
by similar i mean smaller but not much smaller

Date Posted: March 29, 2008, 01:16:52 am
im gonna resize the Big message, but i aint rewording, i dont care

Date Posted: March 29, 2008, 01:22:35 am
done
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 12:25:36 am by frosty »

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 02:01:15 am »
Im not downloadin' the ugly piece of crap untill I see what it is, ok?

Sorry that had to be said, your post's are beingin' the piss me right off. Post a picture of this "15x40" gun or people will keep sayin' make it smaller...
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 02:35:57 am »
reminds me of my first attempt at weapon skins... lol

I dont mind the shading on the law, but the shape isn't very good at all.  also, those knives you posted, i dont like them, they do suck.  if you want to make any progress here, i recomend you take a good long hard look at some other peoples work, at least then  you'll know what it really takes.  learn from their techniques, dont copy them however.  make sure that you do your OWN style.  Hope it helps. 

Player since late 2007

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 08:42:16 am »
Also, if anyone reports anyone, it will be me reporting you, You're taking up space by posting large letters

^ This would be in my sig right now if I weren't trying to keep that random gun thing going.

Frosty, people here are slightly smarter than you're giving them credit for. It's not so much them not downloading the pictures because they're too stupid to use the .zips, its the pictures themselves not being worth downloading. No offense meant, of course, but this as your first mod should be more of a learning thing which we can give advice on than a serious attempt at making something anyone will use.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 09:03:01 am »
Also your repeated spamming of your adverts for this thread is unwarranted. If the gun picture has to be 138x30 on this site to look 'good' then I sure as hell am not gonna trust that the gun would look good smaller. So show us what the gun really looks at at its real size, because I doubt you wanna be shown a horse but sold a rabbit. And you really need to work on what the guns look like -- they're just plain ugly and uninspired, not even considering the shading.

Also it's "voila," not "wulla."
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 09:08:21 am »
Also, if anyone reports anyone, it will be me reporting you, You're taking up space by posting large letters

^ This would be in my sig right now if I weren't trying to keep that random gun thing going.
Oh the hypocrisy, It's killing you isn't it :)

Also, Espadon makes a good point.
Lol, internets.

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 11:26:51 am »
Upload picture which is already resized. If you mean the 138x30 pixel IT IS big.

Next time try harder.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 07:56:28 pm »
im sorry guys, next time i will upload the actual sized images, the knives images are okay, but you can can see where i was going with them, thankyou for the advice guys

Truth is i was having a bad day and the posts that were being posted werent the best, which didnt help,

i am very sorry, hope you guys will forgive me

i will continue work on the guns when i get time

Date Posted: March 29, 2008, 08:47:06 pm
next one will be a saw type wep

Date Posted: March 29, 2008, 08:51:50 pm
can somebody plz give me a few links so i can make better progress?

the next project will be using the POA editor once my internet allowance gets reinstated

Date Posted: March 29, 2008, 08:54:00 pm
i will be reshaping the law, tell me which one you like and i will post a zip, the problem is, if i post the correct sized ones half the detail will be missing

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 08:06:47 pm »

To other mods? No, there are hundreds of individual style and it's your responsibility to search for one you like. I can recommend some successful modder names though that you might want to start with: Dairy; Papasurf; Lord Ivahn; Field Marshal BM; Yamo. You need to find what suits you.

the problem is, if i post the correct sized ones half the detail will be missing

Counterproblem: What detail?
Most modders have more detail in a 4x5 section than you have in your entire 138x50 or whatever it was picture. You need to figure out how to emulate detail in a small format where you can't just outline some stuff in black and call it detail.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 08:22:15 pm »

Look in the modding help section, I know certain tutorials have been posted multiple times.

*edit* Oy, Espadon. I could waste my time pointing out everything I disagree with with your above post, but I think "You're getting anal over proper gun-picture-drawing etiquette " just about sums it up.

Oh yeah, and one of those "The internet: Serious fucking business" pictures if we could post macros.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 08:25:49 pm by Lord Frunkamunch »

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 08:25:29 pm »
lol ok thankyou

just one question, how exactly do i put more detail in a 4 x 5 or do i need to figure that out myself?

Date Posted: March 29, 2008, 09:22:50 pm
rofl why do i always do that? whenever i ask one question it magically turns into 2 questions rofl

Date Posted: March 29, 2008, 09:23:47 pm
and to answer your question espadon, the detail that gets missing is generally shading and shape when i resize stuf, the shading and  shape gets stuffed up

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 08:27:38 pm »
^He meant you have a small amount of detail in a large area, as opposed to packing a lot into a 4x5 (i.e small) area.

Don't make something big and resize, get the size and shape of your outline first and then work on filling it.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 09:17:00 pm »
thankyou

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 09:44:20 pm »
You dont need to post the ones with more detail, it DOESNT MATTER.   You should just post what it looks like in the weapon menu, or people will not download it. 

Player since late 2007

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 04:49:42 am »
ok the next load of guns will be based on the famous Ratchet and Clank series, i will be sure to keep u all posted

btw i gave up on the law for now

Date Posted: April 02, 2008, 07:13:28 pm
ok heres the next gun, it looks slightly better becuz i am using a better program, it is an attempt at a ratchet and clank 2 sniper rifle but added an extra handle to the front, enjoy

if theres any way i can improve this by all means post, but i am learning a newer,  better program that allows me to specify the size of the picture in pixels before i even begin and there is an advanced pallete always there in front of me

or maybe this looks like a remake of the classic barret? but rest assured i did this one pixel by pixel

also included, a customized bullet that has been given a spinning effect
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:35:24 am by frosty »

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 06:04:17 am »
Uh, it just looks like buidin' blocks stuck together :|
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 06:13:07 am »
Uh, it just looks like buidin' blocks stuck together :|
Lego?

You should base your weapons off of real life weapons to start with and then remake them, then get a feel for making your own, what if that gun had a curve here and a bolt here and a scope here?

If your style is futuristic, What does the weapon do, draw what you think it should look like given what it does, for example, don't make a gun shoot arrows if it's got a rocket launcher look to it, it doesn't make an ounce of sense.
Keep trying.
Lol, internets.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 03:39:37 am »
im doing my best thats all that counts :D

after all i am still learning this new program, so of course this gun is a failed attempt at a sniper rifle, i know the wep menu pic doesnt look the best but the ingame one looks better

does anyone like the bullet?

Date Posted: April 10, 2008, 07:35:18 am
heres the next weapon, chainsaw replacement: The Meat Killer

*edit* fix attached that gets rid of the barret gfx (oops) for those who downloaded this, please redownload
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:14:18 am by frosty »

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 03:57:04 am »
your guns are too blocky, they look unatractive, Go to google image search and search for the basic out lines of a particular gun then remake that to start off with.

Date Posted: April 11, 2008, 04:55:36 am

Remake something like this, or at least try to and we can go from there.
Lol, internets.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 04:30:37 am »
yes frosty, your weapons are just bad, unimaginative, and bad.

Please dont make any more boxes.  Make what you see in the pic^^^  if you fail at that you won't get anywhere. 

Date Posted: April 11, 2008, 05:29:01 am
btw:  you aren't doing your best and that's not all that counts.

Player since late 2007

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 04:47:57 am »
See, that took me like 5 minutes to do. If you can do that ,we can go from there.

Also, i accidentally over wrote my socom interface GFX, can someone Pm me theirs >_> I can't be bothered downloading the whole soldat install file for just for the socom gfx, otherwise it's not a big deal.
Lol, internets.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 05:23:00 am »
You need to work a lot more on your shapes. Don't limit yourself to blocks. Watch how the gun looks, try to make the outline of the gun first don't think about the shading until it's needed. You should also put a lot more time on your work. Fine tuning and fixing stuff that you don't think look good.

There are several tutorials here look at them so you get to see the different approaches. Don't copy the technique but combine them and make your own style. I started with modding in January and I've learned a lot since then. I also found my own style not so long ago. Just keep trying and listen to the experienced modders here so you can get better.

Here is my attempt at the gun Pie posted. I'd suggest that you put 20+ mins on a gun. The more complex guns require more time so I'd suggest that you start with the simple ones.

OBEY!!!

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 05:45:00 am »

Here is my attempt at the gun Pie posted.
Show off...

It's a simple gun form.
Lol, internets.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 06:49:35 am »
lol Pie

Thankyou Blackdevil0724 (do i really need all that?)

Offline Aarni Valkea

• Soldier
  • R-tisht
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 11:19:26 am »
Yes, you do.
Where life has no value, death has a price!

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2008, 03:01:32 am »
oh and btw, the bullet will only work if it is started from the soldat mod starter, i beleive it may be a bug, if anyone is having the same problem plz tell me,  it just means i will have to make my zips so they go in the mods folder if they have a customized bullet

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 06:41:31 am »
Just for fun:

heres another example.  I hope yours turns out a little better ;)  this was done in 2 mins

Player since late 2007

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 01:42:27 am »
ok guys i have reskinned the gfx that shows up after the barret is selected to make it look more real, and it will camoflague with most scenery quite well, here is the full mod zip with the reskin

i have just learned that having outlines for the ingame gfx is a nono

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:08:33 am by frosty »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 03:48:24 am »
ummmmm... no

Player since late 2007

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2008, 04:02:03 am »
ummm... no to what?

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2008, 05:34:28 am »
all you did was.... in truth, nothing.  Now go and make that pistol and/or another REAL weapon, at least make it look realish, or I have no further interest in your weapons.

Player since late 2007

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2008, 06:19:52 am »
dude i am fixing my other weps first ok?
you may not notice it but the fixes i do to my current weps are quite small, but they fix certain bugs that i notice, if i cant fix bugs caused by what i do, whether it be by accidental bug or not i need to fix the bugs first before i move on so i learn ok? if you dont like it stop coming but i think ppl know what im talking about here, specially with the bugs i accidentally put in  :-[

i have made the law with the LAS look more real ingame
for those who are interested plz download the following attachment

*edit* i will also be working on some bullets and stuff for the guns i make

Date Posted: April 16, 2008, 07:13:29 am
and yes i will start work on real guns soon

Date Posted: April 16, 2008, 07:18:21 am
btw the wep menu pic for the law is still a bit buggy (doesn't look quite right), ill bump the topic when its fixed
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:22:24 am by frosty »

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2008, 07:33:44 am »
Sigh, you're not getting it...

People, they download guns because the guns look good.
Frankly, to be honest your guns do not look good.

Instead of reskinning your originals just drop them, start off with the tutorial that Myself and that other guy showed you, do the outline of the gun, then fill it, then shade it. If you can do that then we will be one MASSIVE step closer to you being able to mod well.

Just drop the stuff you are working on, it doesn't look good, and try to base your weapons on some realistic guns.
Lol, internets.

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2008, 07:48:34 am »

That's what you think, right?

ok frosty, i think you don't learned so much new, try to learn form the others, then find your own style.
Start doing real guns is a nice thing, but you need to know how to do them good. The downloads are not the most important thing, first of all learn, the nyou'll get your downloads

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2008, 03:06:52 pm »
ok

this one took me 5 mins, its a magnum of some description
if you guys like this one ill make a zip of it

bah heres the zip anyway
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:40:55 pm by frosty »

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2008, 06:18:58 am »
Better, but its too plain, do so many gradients is bad, and make no shading too
If you have some problems with, there are lots of tutorials, or just post it, we are here to help.
The shape of the weapon is so nice, keep the way that you are taking

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2008, 06:46:36 am »
thnks man, im learning :D

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2008, 06:47:03 am »
Honestly, without any pink eyeglasses - youre making it completely wrong, the shading is bad, gun shape is bad.

What in the bloody hell is that weapon ?... just try to look into any other mod, zoom the weapon if you need and look how its made.

EDIT: If you could try harder you would learn much faster. Tutorials are pretty useless for you because any of them here on SF aint even in high quality so you wont be able to learn much from them. And every single one was just about futuristic weapons (if youre heading that way its okay then).

Remember - practice makes perfect.

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2008, 09:47:27 am »

That's what you think, right?

Well it's true, People get downloads if the guns look decent, i can tell you from experience that i don't download mods unless i like the look of the guns and the mod is of good quality.
And that pistol is loads better, Keep working on it.

Try and base it off as much as a real weapon as possible, dairy's advice is good, see how other guns are coloured, shaped and shaded.
Keep at it.
Lol, internets.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2008, 04:30:50 pm »
im going to try to make weps based on these guys

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2008, 05:21:02 pm »
Nice, just focus more on them and I hope they will look ok. And remember, if you dont wanna get negative replies , upload it after you think its a nice weapon.

It isnt that hard.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2008, 07:20:32 pm »
Unless your ability to traslate thoughts into art and your attention span are as utterly horrible as mine. Then, it is. [retard]
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2008, 01:11:55 am »
getting a little better.....  but just complicate the shapes more.  you need better shapes still, your shading is less important and you seem to know your way around it.  so work on your shapes please.  Priority:  1) Shape of weapon 2) Shading of weapon 3) Presenting the actual download picture, and maybe a screenshot of the weapon when it's in the game and in the weapon menu, so we can justify size.

Player since late 2007

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2008, 02:05:17 am »
getting a little better..... but just complicate the shapes more. you need better shapes still, your shading is less important and you seem to know your way around it. so work on your shapes please. Priority: 1) Shape of weapon 2) Shading of weapon 3) Presenting the actual download picture, and maybe a screenshot of the weapon when it's in the game and in the weapon menu, so we can justify size.
Who told you that load? lol..
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2008, 04:53:37 am »
made it up ^^

common knowledge.. right? : D

Player since late 2007

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2008, 04:55:27 am »
mayb. lol.

I outline>shade>texture>shade more>done
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2008, 04:57:06 am »
Rarws, I did this from the same picture (Well started it, i've no intention of finishing it) A while ago.

You can use it as a template if you'd like, It's not very good.
Lol, internets.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2008, 05:54:27 am »
ok guys, this is my take on the magnum gun i posted earlier

*edit* includes a large bullet, take a look if you wish
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:13:46 am by frosty »

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2008, 06:27:24 am »
ok guys, this is my take on the magnum gun i posted earlier

*edit* includes a large bullet, take a look if you wish
It's looking much better, keep at it though.
Maybe extend the barrel a tiny bit more to make it bigger, which would enable you to give it more detail, like in the handle and in the revolver part (spinning part). You're getting better and you should keep at it, remember that to form an outline, you don't have to make everything square. Keep it up, it's getting better.
Lol, internets.

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2008, 09:47:28 am »
:) It's much better in comparsion with your previous work. I like it, it got style.

Still, work harder on your weapons.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2008, 02:08:12 am »
Finally.  Much much better ;)

Now try making bigger weapons, then maybe you should try AA'ing it a bit.  It will be a fine enhancement of your guns.

Player since late 2007

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2008, 07:03:38 pm »
guys i got one question, out of .PNG and .BMP which one is better?

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2008, 07:18:37 pm »
.PNG  it has perfect image quality and less file size.  I don't really know what .BMP is used for, I think it was an early format in MS paint.  but it will not be as good quality as PNG still

Date Posted: May 02, 2008, 08:17:59 pm
Plus, you need .PNG to have alpha transperancy in your image

Player since late 2007

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2008, 11:31:09 pm »
well in that case, here is a .png version of my new wep

Date Posted: May 04, 2008, 12:30:19 am
wow it is a smaller file size

i believe that .png has top loading priority?

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2008, 11:37:02 pm »
I always use png.  Have you tried using alpha transperancy yet?  You can do it in Paint.NET

Player since late 2007

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2008, 11:55:05 pm »
alpha transparency as in no color in the background at all, not even white? i can do that with the GIMP

i have heard of Paint.NET before, im going to try it out another time

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2008, 12:24:12 am »
alpha transparency as in no color in the background at all, not even white?

Well there's that, and there's kinda like half-transperant transperancy, it makes the colour black but you can see through it.  Here is a sample:

The two squares, as you can see, they cover the images, making the affected area darker, like putting tinted glass over them.  and you can also see that they make the blue background of the message board darker.  basically it automaticly generates a darker shade of a colour prior to what it's background is.  You can have all different shades depending on what shade your using, they range from light to dark and you can make them any colour.  You should be able to do that in GIMP but I use Paint.NET  It's good for making shaddows of your guns.  Try it, put a dark(ish) border around the outside of your gun, then put a lighter border around that one, and keep going until the shaddow is complete.  It's very hard to master so take your time.

Edit: also try doing it with a green shaddow, so you could make a simple green line glow green like a laser ;)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:25:56 am by Hair|Trigger »

Player since late 2007

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2008, 07:44:35 am »
Don't make him run before he can walk [okay, the Iron Man opposes me on that but screw him, he's fictional]. >.>

There are way too many people who can do alpha-T but just don't know how to apply it. It's not like alpha-T is the solution for everything. Alpha-T isn't going to help him with his palette issue; it's just gong to turn pieces of crap into extra-fuzzy pieces of crap.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2008, 05:59:47 pm »
Okay.  But I just wanted him to know what kind of features you can use in modding, maybe a chance for the future?.  Plus he's not the one with the pallete issue, it's porta..

Player since late 2007

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2008, 06:09:06 pm »
No, I know what I'm talking about. He has a palette issue, too [too small palette, as in too few colors/shades], just not the same as porta [who is lacking a palette altogether].
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2008, 02:32:44 am »
alpha transparency as in no color in the background at all, not even white?

Well there's that, and there's kinda like half-transperant transperancy, it makes the colour black but you can see through it.  Here is a sample:

The two squares, as you can see, they cover the images, making the affected area darker, like putting tinted glass over them.  and you can also see that they make the blue background of the message board darker.  basically it automaticly generates a darker shade of a colour prior to what it's background is.  You can have all different shades depending on what shade your using, they range from light to dark and you can make them any colour.  You should be able to do that in GIMP but I use Paint.NET  It's good for making shaddows of your guns.  Try it, put a dark(ish) border around the outside of your gun, then put a lighter border around that one, and keep going until the shaddow is complete.  It's very hard to master so take your time.

Edit: also try doing it with a green shaddow, so you could make a simple green line glow green like a laser ;)

this i can work on, however, i would like to see an example of this perhaps on a gun that this has been done to?
thanx in advance

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2008, 03:36:58 am »
No problem

Here is a gun with AA:  (notice that the number of transperant pixels is VERY minimal, only put one or two fading out around the corners as such..)

But please, don't go overkill with this!  As Esp said, "Don't make him run before he can walk"  So if you would like to try this please keep at subliminal as possible, don't blur your gun out.  (It is also very helpful for your shading, you can just put it over the top of the gun instead of selecting the colour, once again, don't go overkill and make it too dark)

Date Posted: May 05, 2008, 04:29:48 am
oh, and here is the non AA version:

Just in case you don't know already, "AA" is "Anti-Aliasing" which makes jaggered corners and edges much smoother. Good luck!

Player since late 2007

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2008, 04:58:32 am »
The funny thing is I like the Non AA version better...
Lol, internets.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2008, 05:48:07 am »
heres my latest gun with a shadow

is this what u mean?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 05:51:37 am by frosty »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2008, 05:55:40 am »
NO, don't do it so dark!!  make the shaddows wayy lighter!  (Put the slider down to about 10%)

The funny thing is I like the Non AA version better...

Yeah yeah.  I'm not perfect.

Player since late 2007

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2008, 02:49:08 pm »
Non-AA works best if you're doing modern weapons... Use alpha only if you're doing glowing crap. Don't turn out like TbC, please!!!

Look what you've done. Now I'm going to go QQ.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2008, 04:26:08 pm »
Non-AA works best if you're doing modern weapons... Use alpha only if you're doing glowing crap. Don't turn out like TbC, please!!!

Look what you've done. Now I'm going to go QQ.
No, Don't do it!!
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2008, 06:26:21 pm »
No, Don't do it!!

You're right, I stopped before I got started because I realized that my throat is still bleeding. :\
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2008, 01:19:54 am »
Okay, Just do me a favour frosty and don't screw up your modding.  Here just take this so that Esp doesn't stangle himself ;D

Player since late 2007

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2008, 01:02:53 am »
oh guys btw, my ingame alias is Red Warrior, im making a set of weps that match my color scheme, it also lets me see anyone who is hiding in a bush or something

Date Posted: May 07, 2008, 04:45:58 pm
heres my take on Winchester A from the pic i posted earlier

*edit* still working on the zip file
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:36:38 pm by frosty »