is this guide any help?

yes
0 (0%)
some
3 (30%)
no
7 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: the ultimate soldat guide for newbies  (Read 3989 times)

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
the ultimate soldat guide for newbies
« on: April 06, 2008, 01:28:04 pm »
hi the idea of this giude is to help new players find their way around. There are a lot of guides around and i aim to pull them all together and create one big guide! any mini guides or useful advice would be much appreciated! this guide will take a long time to be completed so please do post things such as "hurry up and finish it! thanks!

Date Posted: April 06, 2008, 02:18:38 pm
the contents

#introduction
#game modes
#basic moves
#advanced moves
#a word on mods
#wepon guides
#other stuff

Date Posted: April 06, 2008, 02:23:00 pm
soldat is a 2d fighting game where you control a small "soldat". at the start you pick a primary weapon ak-47 minimi etc and a secondary weapon chainsaw, law.

[needs more adding to it]

basic moves

jumping

the default jump key is W. jumping makes it harder for you to be shot unless the person is a sprayer. it isnt a good thing to do if you are facing an experienced sniper because once you have reached the climax of you jump you go down slower than you went up which leaves you a sitting duck. it is a good idea to jump before you use your jet boots because you can get that little bit higher.

crouching

the default crouch key is S. crouching makes it harder for the enemy to hit you but it isnt as good as going prone. if you have a barret when you crouch you can use the zoom on the barret, this doesn't work with any other guns.

Proning

the default prone key is X. proning makes it a lot harder for the enemy to hit you. it also allows you to to get a better zoom with a barret than crouching does.

bunnyhopping

bunnyhopping allows you to move quickly. it also increases your speed up slopes

press

hold W

rolling

rolling allows you to move but still be hard to hit.

press

A or D then press S

advanced moves

prone worming

this involves going prone whilst in the air, then holding down the prone key and the jet boot key. this makes you harder to hit but it also seriously affects your aim.

when you are in the air press:

A or D + hold down X + hold down RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON

backflipping

this involves performing a backflip with your jet boots. this makes you harder to hit and it also moves you away from the enemy.

press

the opposite direction key from the way you are facing + S + RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON

a word on mods

mods change the way soldat plays. there are many mods out there and the best way to find them is to go to the fan apps in the forums and have a look around!!

some good mods are

eradication
if you like sci fi

[need more good mods]
[and links to them if possible]

weapon guide

this guide was borrowed from the soldat wiki and STM1993

Hitting the head: 110% damage
Hitting torso: 100% damage
Hitting Legs: 90% damage
^ table reversed for grenades. This info is according to soldatwiki.

Desert Eagles - Very powerful weapon consisting of two pistols, firing two bullets at a time. They can kill easily in 3 shots (6 bullets) and has a decent firing rate, decent reload time. However, it has a low ammo clip of 7 shots and it has a rather weak bullet speed, which means it is not effective a long range. From what I've heard, the DEs' bullet speed also makes it hard it aim with. It is fine as it is, though with the bad bullet reg it is quite a problem.

HK MP5 - A very fast-firing automatic and has a fast reload. With its fast-firing rate, its 30 bullet clip tend to run out very quickly. However, it has a limited bullet speed (just 1 point less than the DEs according to the weapons.ini), so it is ineffective at long range. Instead, it is a serious threat at close range. I heard that it actually has the lowest damage out of all automatics (other than the minigun, which I won't call an automatic in this case), so it seems pretty weak. It is often fired by a short burst or spraying.

AK-74 - The slowest-firing automatic with a rather slow reload. It has a high clip of 40 shots per clip, and it has an okay (240) bullet speed. It supposedly has the highest damage out of all automatics. I find that the AK is recently very weak compared to other guns like the Aug, and I believe that it would need some damage improvement (damage change to about 113, like it was in 1.3). It is often fired by tapping.

Steyr Aug - A very popular automatic. It has a good firing rate (close to MP5) and rather fast reload (slightly slower than MP5). It has a good bullet speed (260) and it can do decent damage (higher than MP5!). It seems that recently the Aug is getting a bit overpowered compared to other automatics, so it would need some nerfing here and there, or other automatics to be buffed. It is often fired by a short burst and sometimes tapping.

Spas12 - A powerful automatic(not exactly) shotgun. It has a unique reload system of fitting one shell by one shell to the maximum of 7, so players who know and use this weapon know a way to cancel the reload ; tapping the grenade button so that the reload is cancelled and the aiming would not be pointing towards the front when you shoot while reloading. It has a very low bullet speed, and its bullet type consists of multiple tiny pellets that add up to deal maximum damage (the damage in weapon.ini states the damage PER pellet right?). 2 point-blank shots are enough to kill an opponent very quickly at close range. It can also act like an artillery in a way to shoot over walls or down trenches, though it would be ineffective. The Spas is known to give a slight backward boost to its user, and it can greatly boost anyone shot by it (so be careful if you use it in INF or CTF on a EFC!). I'm not too sure about whether this wewapon is overpowered or underpowered, but I'd say its pretty powerful.

Ruger 77 - A hunting rifle. This weapon can kill in either 2 or 3 shots, depending on where you hit. It has a very high bullet speed and a slow firing rate. It has a slightly long reload time (100 +40 actually because you need to wait for the delay before you can shoot). It has movement inaccuracy and bink that would affect the aiming very greatly, especially with the fact that it is such a slow semi-automatic weapon, so players who use it would normally stop moving before firing (like the barret) and try to avoid getting hit. Being slow and powerful and having such a high bullet speed, it is obvious that this weapon is a long-ranged weapon, excellent for defending the flag in game modes like CTF or INF, and quite an okay choice for chasing. Why? By the time the enemy comes near the flag, your teammates are likely to have damaged him greatly, making the enemy easy to kill in just a single shot or reduce him to 1hp. In case of missing, the setback is not as bad as the barret, where you have to wait 4 seconds and consider the startup time before you can hit the opponent again. It is also a good support weapon against single opponents. It is fine as it is.

M79 - A grenade launcher that launches a grenade that explodes on impact. It has a low bullet speed (duh) and therefore can be used like an artillery weapon ; shooting over walls and down trenches. Being explosive, it can kill or damage more than one opponent, and yourself if you're not careful. This weapon can kill in one shot, even with a vest, as long as its a direct hit. This has been called a "noob cannon" as a result, though it isn't really a noob's weapon despite the fact that it is easy to use and can be very powerful as long as you can aim and estimate. The worst set back is that it has a 3 second (+6 ticks) reload, so if you miss, you're gonna have to switch to your secondary, preferably a USSOCOM. It is known to be able to help with m79 boosting, which launches a shot person flying the air, or its user into the air (though with damage to self, and it seems the poly will also affect how much damage is done to yourself). I personally started using this weapon recently because I've such terrible aiming and none of the weapons are to my taste. It is fine as it is now (if you want to change, then its the bullet speed that may be changed. As for bink and movement inaccuracy, depends as well. The rest remains the same). It is excellent at close to mid-range.

Barret M82A1 - An anti-tank sniper rifle, able to kill in one shot (unless a vest is worn, then about half your health and 1/4 your vest would remain, and a second shot will kill). It has the highest bullet speed in the game (550!!! 190 more than the second highest which is the M2 Stat Gun/Turret!). The bullet speed allows piercing more than one opponent, though the first one is killed instantly and the second receives incredible damage. It is the only weapon that can use a scope to see very long distances (a bit while crouched, alot more while proning). Recently, it has a startup time of 25 ticks before firing. It has EXTREME bink and EXTREME movement inaccuracy, so if the user gets shot just once or moves, his shots goes completely haywire. Users don't necessarily need to camp with this ; users may go in mid-air, then prone in mid-air, stop movement,  aim and fire. It has incredibly slow firing rate (4 seconds!) and an incredibly long reload time (300! That's like 5 seconds, and if the delay is counted (240 + 300), 9  seconds!). A useful feature that the barret has is watching the bullet fly if you had scoped, so it can be used to scout as well as to perform what I call "super sniping", which means shooting further than what your scope can see, which involves completely on estimation and trial and error. The weapon has remained popular because it can scope and most importantly, kill in 1 shot, despite all the disadvantages. It is fine as it is now.

FN Minimi - Another recently dominating automatic weapon, fired by tapping. It is the second slowest automatic, but has the highest bullet speed (270) and high damage (more than the Aug, and even compared to the AK, the Minimi's damage is probably not very far away). Furthermore, it has an amazingly high clip of 50 shots. The only setback is probably movement inaccuracy (4, but it doesn't seem to matter much since its an automatic) and its long reload time (250 reload + 9 delay). I believe this weapon would need some serious nerfing ; its too powerful now.

XM214 Minigun - A very commonly used weapon by new players as it is believed by them to be the best or coolest weapon. This gun is never used seriously, more for fun. It is known to push the user backwards when firing like the spas, so it is very useful for travelling long distances with jets or to keep yourself up in the air. It has TERRIBLE damage, but has the fastest firing rate in the game and higher bullet speed than other automatic weapons (290). It is quite a terror in narrow tunnels with all that ricocheting and all the bullets flying towards you and having no means to run. It is good for binking as well as to push/slow down opponents. It has a startup time of 50. In my opinion, this weapon needs more damage per shot, like around 60 or 65, and a faster reload speed like about that in realistic mode, and maybe a slightly faster startup time if necessary. But by then I still think no one would use it XD

I did some experimenting with the minigun's boosting. I discovered that you can NEVER boost faster than a certain level if you have a flag with you. If you don't have a flag, you move incredibly quickly. Try this version of the minigun I made (I call it Hurricane Jet) to test this:

[XM214 Minigun]
Damage=0
FireInterval=3
Ammo=250
ReloadTime=113
Speed=550
BulletStyle=1
StartUpTime=0
Bink=0
MovementAcc=1
Recoil=0

USSOCOM - A pistol, an excellent backup weapon for your secondary weapon. It holds 12 shots per clip, has a very fast firing rate for a semi-automatic (12), has a low 180 bullet speed, and can kill in 6 shots (171 damage per shot) and the FASTEST reload speed in the game (65, unless you tell me you're comparing to the Flamer or the Rambo Bow/Flamed Arrows)! In other words, this is a mini Desert Eagle! I consider the USSOCOM as one of the most lethal guns in Soldat as long as you can make every aim count. Some players consider the USSOCOM to be equal to or even more powerful than the Desert Eagles.

Combat Knife - A knife. Unlike most games, the knife is usually not used to slash or slice opponents (if you do that you're probably new, not serious, or playing realistic mode by backstabbing opponents, since the knife can kill in one slice). Instead, the knife is very often thrown. The knife can be thrown at different strengths, though if it is too low it would only do alot of damage and it can only kill instantly if within a certain range and if the knife is thrown with enough strength. This is a wonderful weapon against single opponents, but if you lose the knife, its best not to pick it up.

Chainsaw - The true melee weapon of Soldat ; the evil chainsaw used mainly by the zombies of zombie servers and Boogie Man! Recently buffed very nicely, and is very good and balanced. It has 2 attack rate, 150 "ammo" (I estimate the saw can keep sawing for about 300 ticks, 5 seconds long before reloading is required), a reload time of 90 (about 1.5 seconds, + 2 ticks delay). Under low-lag and good bullet reg conditions, the chainsaw is very dangerous, as long as the user can get close enough. It is not exactly an instant kill (I once got sliced by a chainsaw with full hp and no vest, I lived but I got seriously hurt), but with its high damage and fast attack rate its practically instant kill (if you wear a vest, you can live if you are fast or lucky enough). Using a chainsaw requires alot of skill, some luck (bullet register) and knowledge. Generally, a chainsaw that points upwards against a higher up opponent coming down, the chainsaw user below would be most likely to win for example.

M72 LAW - An anti-tank missile, a LONG-distance artillery weapon. It has a startup time before firing. It is known to be the mini-barret, since it can kill instantly and can be used at long range and has a long reload time. The user must be on the ground, crouched or proned, to fire. I tried crouching and walking on the ground and holding down the shoot button, I could fire the LAW, though it takes longer before the missile could fire.

Flamer - A flamethrower. It has the same firing rate as a MP5, has twice the ammo of a minigun and has even faster reload speed than a USSOCOM and Rambo Bow/Flamed Arrows. It has a limited range which is about close-mid range. The flames do more damage if you're standing still, and less if you're moving. Generally, as long as you got burned by a single flame, you'd gradually lose health and be killed, unless you pick up a health kit along the way or wear a vest. When the Flamer Box is taken initially, you will gain Invulnerability (Flame God) for 10 seconds, and you'd be using the flamer for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, you can switch weapons again. The flamer replaces whatever weapon that you are not equipped with. If thrown, the Flamer simply disappears. You cannot throw a Flamer while the invulnerability is still in effect. Online, for some reason, the flamer is very ineffective ; terrible bullet reg. Yet I don't know how a certain player (Fire Moth) could use the flamer so well. I tried aiming directly, the flames didn't kill. How the heck do you use a flamer online?

M2 Stat Gun (Turret) - A stationary turret. It can fire about 18 bullets before it overheats if you hold down the fire button. It has incredible firepower (3 shots and you're dead), a slow firing rate (same as AK 10, but in realistic its incredibly slow 14) and extreme bullet speed (360, 2nd fastest, 1st being Barret). The bullets fired have limited range though, after the range the bullet simply disappears. Users must stand on the turret to arm it ; if you crouch or prone it won't fire.

What do you think? Thanks =)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 05:23:20 am by adam01526 »

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
Re: the ultimate soldat guide for newbies
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 01:32:31 pm »
Write it before you post it. At least, thats how it usually done  ::)

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 01:37:37 pm »
pick gun
point gun
shoot gun

Who exactly needs a guide to soldat?
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 01:55:51 pm »
There's something called an "EDIT" button.
Why do we have to go through that on every new member?
Huh? My 1 size text is huge.

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 02:09:06 pm »
And there's always the Soldat Wiki...

Burning scarfs since 1988