Author Topic: 21  (Read 691 times)

Offline Yes

• Soldier
  • Yes.
« on: April 20, 2008, 01:54:03 pm »
Has anyone seen the movie? IT WAS GREAT. Omgz i loved it. Well anyways I never got how to count cards and whats it do? This was based off of a true story and the real MIT students played up to 5 million. I was reading it on wiki and it says if you dont know how to count cards you have a .5% chance of winning but if you do you have a 1% chance winning. I never got that, i mean the kids at MIT went up to 5 million with barely losing anything.
One Love
Yes

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: 21
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 02:03:32 pm »
card counting is predicting when the ace comes up so you get 21 and you win.

those are pretty low probabilities, I doubt they are accurate.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 02:05:38 pm »
Jim Emerson says otherwise.

Counting cards is a way of determining how many high or low cards are left in the deck. If you see a bunch of low cards, the count will be high and the remaining cards will be high. This means you'll have a better chance of getting a blackjack. Consequently, if you see a lot of low cards the count is low or negative, the remaining cards are low and you'll have less of a chance of getting a blackjack.
The MIT teams used a team system. A bunch of people would sit at tables counting cards, but never acting on it. They'd signal for another person to come over and start betting high to take advantage of the high count. You saw the movie, right?
I didn't see the movie, but I read the book and it was good.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 02:09:47 pm »
After watching it, I have a sudden desire to learn how to count cards.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

El_Spec

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 02:11:19 pm »
Typical HollyWood film.  Stretches the story too far and completely ruins it.  In reality, they did it for the fun of it, they never were caught, most of them were Asian, and no teachers were involved. 

In terms of what realistically happened and how this film portrays it is horrible.  But the film itself, I have to say was better than I expected.  Didn't go by what had truly happened, but it needed a plot and did a good job with it.  3/4 stars, or B- rating from me.

Offline Yes

• Soldier
  • Yes.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 03:16:20 pm »
After watching it, I have a sudden desire to learn how to count cards.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.
lol yeah me too.

Anyways, the professor kept on saying counting cards is legal. Well on wiki it says it is leagal just as long as you don't use a machine or person or anything to help you count cards except with your head. So basically the way they were counting cards was illegal, wasn't it? I mean they were helping eachother by telling the count when they sat on the table.
One Love
Yes

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 04:09:27 pm »
It was a great movie only because of the fantastic acting and Kevin Spacey. The plot line sucked, IMO.
There are other worlds than these