Author Topic: What is your favorite book?  (Read 6870 times)

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
What is your favorite book?
« on: April 09, 2008, 04:33:28 pm »
Well, I'm sure all of us read.  Reading is what keeps us educated, and its what makes us human.

So whats your favorite book/novel?  If you don't have a favorite book, what are you currently reading?

I just finished "Black Duck", author is Janet Taylor Lisle.  Now I'm moving to a book called "Revenge from the Shadow King".
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: What is your favorite book?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 04:35:02 pm »
Reading sucks ass. Quite possibly the most uninteresting activity ever.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 04:37:59 pm »
Currently, I'm reading a Southern Gothic styled book by american writer Flannery O'Conner, and I'd say that it's pretty disturbing on a deep level.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 04:39:05 pm »
Molloy by Beckett
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:45:53 pm by Smegma »

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 04:39:44 pm »

Uninteresting?  Millions of people read.  I highly doubt its that boring.  I admit, once in my lifetime I actually thought reading was stupid, but once I started read fantasy I was getting into it.

You don't have to read fiction or Non-fiction.  Read Fantasy, that will help boost your confidence in reading.

Currently, I'm reading a Southern Gothic styled book by american writer Flannery O'Conner, and I'd say that it's pretty disturbing on a deep level.

Yea, I've heard about that.  On a scale 1 to 10, how intense is it?
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 04:50:31 pm »
I don't like reading. I have no clue why I am posting here if i don't even read. Ah, I know...

Anyways..."The screwtape letters" by Lewis is my fav 8)

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 04:50:44 pm »
Eragon/Eldest are the best written and my favorite books. I liked a few other books that I can't really think of, but they are there. (I highly reccomend Eragon to those who like long books that are well written)
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 04:51:01 pm »
I'm not a reader, really. But I Water For Elephants is pretty decent novel. It's a pretty easy read too. =\

But reading does suck ass.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Rope

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 04:52:13 pm »
Uninteresting?  Millions of people read.  I highly doubt its that boring.  I admit, once in my lifetime I actually thought reading was stupid, but once I started read fantasy I was getting into it.

You don't have to read fiction or Non-fiction.  Read Fantasy, that will help boost your confidence in reading.

same as me ... before it was boring now reading FTW!

best book The Brothers Karamazov

Real power can`t be given. It must be taken.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 04:56:56 pm »
Eragon/Eldest are the best written and my favorite books. I liked a few other books that I can't really think of, but they are there. (I highly reccomend Eragon to those who like long books that are well written)
At least eldest got to the killing quick enough.

The only thing I thought was worth reading was of mice and men, mostly because the book was actually shorter than the movie.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 05:01:34 pm »
I suppose Farley Mowat's works would be way above the reading level for most of you guys...

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 05:02:17 pm »
I like the "Vampire hunter D" book series.

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline Iq Unlimited

• Flagrunner
  • mr. foobar2000
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 05:13:03 pm »

If I didn't read, I would be possibly more idiotic then you are now. I'm surprised you can run energy through your brain.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 05:19:42 pm »

If I didn't read, I would be possibly more idiotic then you are now. I'm surprised you can run energy through your brain.

Energy doesn't RUN

IT FLOWS!

Offline Hundkeex

• Major
  • boycott the supervise
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 05:20:25 pm »
I liek reading comicz.

Offline Iq Unlimited

• Flagrunner
  • mr. foobar2000
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 05:21:43 pm »

Energy doesn't RUN

IT FLOWS!

Bad wording then, sorry.

//Ontopic

my Favorite book of all time is...Actually I don't have ONE favorite book. I have many series of books I read, and my top 3 favorites are Scott McGoughs Magic The Gathering books for the sets, The Redwall Series and the Inheritance Series (Eragon).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:23:25 pm by Iq Unlimited »

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 05:24:33 pm »
The Green mile, Pet Sematary, and sum uther stufz

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 05:24:49 pm »
Bad wording then, sorry.

I think you missed the point.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 05:25:26 pm »
My favorite childhood classic is a toss-up between The Mad Scientist's Club [total must-read for little nerds-to-be] and My Side of the Mountain [Far Side of the Mountain was mediocre and the last book of the trilogy read more like an environmentalist brochure than a book].

Of course, I'm a fan of the classics -- favorite author would be A. Dumas [the elder]. Monte Cristo and Musketeers are all must-reads that the... well the movies totally fail in the face of the books. Protip would be to find a well-translated version though.

1001 Arabian Nights was an interesting read; a bit repetitive at times but the story about Noureddin was quite good in my opinion. Again, as with all foreign texts, either learn the language and read the original or find a good translation, since I think it really does make a difference.

Not a big contemporary literature reader; though I do read some Tom Clancy and other military fiction. Robert Ludlum [writer of the Bourne series] writes well, but you need to watch how many books of his you read since he is something of a formulaic writer; after about 5 or so of his books they start really looking like each other. His books are all, ah, conspiracy/spy thrillers I think they're called and I'd say they have a relatively nice balance between smarts, shooting, and sex. Recommended books by him would be The Parsifal Mosaic [I'd say his most emotionally powerful work, again, I use the phrase relatively], The Apocalypse Watch [about neo-Nazis], and The Icarus Agenda. Do read as few of his works though since quite a few of the storylines seem to be just spinoffs of the same series of events -- mission-conflict-trouble-girl-sex-conflict-resolution.

Hrm, what else. I recommend reading Webster's dictionary, preferably unabridged. Encyclopedias can be good, but you can pretty much get more coverage with Wikipedia.

I'll list a few more books when I remember them.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 05:27:05 pm »
Anything by Dave Barry.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals