Author Topic: Explovive Barrels  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Banksey

• Major
  • Proud smoker of Marlboro Reds
Explovive Barrels
« on: March 12, 2008, 08:51:36 am »
I know there is a do not suggest exploive poly's and what not but how bout a explosive barrel.

This would add new gameplay and tactics to the game in my opinion. No picking them up or moving them or anything like that, just static explosive barrels. Nice simple suggestion that I haven't seen here before.

Dicuss.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
Re: Explovive Barrels
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:05:45 am »
What would decide when they explode?
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:12:08 am »
What would decide when they explode?

Damage. It could be just scripted scenery or something like that.

Offline Banksey

• Major
  • Proud smoker of Marlboro Reds
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 09:21:45 am »
Yeah, it could be like a player if thats possible, just give it a certain amount of health.

Offline poopdogg

• Camper
  • Graffiti 4 ever
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:04:41 am »
Yeah, it could be like a player if that's possible, just give it a certain amount of health.
then there should be a Barrel specificity like  the color

(Sorry if I am unintelligent, since the knowledge I have only comes from a school text book...)

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:26:28 am »
lurn2sticky. No movable or interactive scenies or polys. Evar.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:57:46 am »
Not that it's a bad idea, it would just require an update to the map format, which MM can't be arsed to do.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Mastadi

• Camper
  • What makes me a good demoman!?
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 11:09:01 am »
Actually, I think this migth be possible by scripting.

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 11:37:53 am »
I really dont see a reason. I never thought "ooh we need an annoying exploding obstacle right here" in my adventures on the soldat maps ;)

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 05:18:17 pm »
This is pretty easy, modify the grenade script to be able to detect damage, and explode on contact from an intrusion, and yay, an explosive barrel. This would be hardcored into the game though, it can't be scripted.

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline freeloader

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 06:57:56 pm »
Explosive Barrels?
Aren't grenades enough?

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 01:14:33 pm »
Think about Half Life. The red barrels are hardly grenades. Still, no interactive scenies or polys. It's in the freakin' sticky.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline M.rSnow

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 07:01:22 am »
F11 would require to change  the source code of the maps. Dunno any other way. except scripting but i wouldn't be the same. Players expoding when the die is the only way i know (in scripting).
Lapis: You need a vacation or a bullet though the head both works just fine by me.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 01:34:28 pm »
I always heard that not only will this not be done, it cannot be done. So sorry, this is pretty much not going to happen as far as I know.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Isengoth

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 12:22:08 am »
Hmm...

What if......

Map Colliders (barrels) took damage, and once a threshold was met, it fired a scripted weapon (m79, nade, cluster) in a trajectory which is, again, scripted?

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 01:25:55 am »
Well, yes. This can be done, but I agree with the majority, it would be annoying and the map code would have to be changed. Plus, not much a sploding barrel can do except do damage or kill the nearest victim. In both Half Life and Doom, they were useful. In Doom however, enemies move veeerrry slow, so they are more useful. In Half Life, it was luck if a bunch of noob AI was close enough to barrels to hurt them. In Soldat, the action is too fast and even noobs wouldn't be stupid enough to camp next to a flammable/explosive element. If a player can cross a map within 10 seconds (give or take - depending on map size), then it's pretty much pure luck to nail someone with any explosive item other than something you can throw or shoot like nades and projectiles. So there you have it. It's definitely not a bad suggestion, but F11 in Soldat.

--Snow.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Arbiter

• Camper
  • You shot me, fool!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 06:01:27 am »
Simple, make colliders readable by scripts, and when the script detects a projectile impacting it, a shell or bullet of your choice spawns and blows up your bum.

But as pointed out by Snow, Soldat's too fast for things like these.

"Why beat kids when you can beat women?" - Espadon
"markin marknousky wont kno what hit him!" - Some loser.
[/i]

Offline Pragma

• Soldier
  • Blood, Guts and Gunsmoke
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 12:00:07 pm »
Stuff like that would just get swept away in the beginning of a match anyway, unless they're some kind of freakish regenerating explosive barrel.  It's a cool idea, but what's the use?

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake.  Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."