Author Topic: Grenades - Need to be nerfed  (Read 58450 times)

Offline Extacide

• Soldier
Grenades - Need to be nerfed
« on: April 14, 2008, 05:20:39 pm »
I forgot what version they changed it, but ever since grenades have been able to be thrown into people's faces from any distance, about 50% of everyone's kills in a typical clan war are from grenades, or were assisted with a grenade.  I'm a fond user of grenades, and by statistics almost 70% of my kills are from grenades. I use ruger, but the ruger is there only to damage them so the grenade followed by the bullet kills them instantly, but it gets ridiculous. You can avoid all of the bullets in the world, but when a player drops his load of grenades on your head, you're pretty much finished.

Voland, perfect example of grenade spam. When you reach their base, you have a fifty-fifty shot to grab their flag and either a) Be utterly destroyed by 18 grenades including both team's grenades, or b), getting a lucky bit of lag, and getting boosted rather than being ripped to shreds, safely to the bridge for a free capture.

Whats the best way to nerf a team's ability to kill? Go in their base and steal all of their grenade kits!

My suggestion

1. Add a range or airtime that grenades must proceed before they can make contact with a player directly.

It doesn't have to be a realistic 3-4 seconds. Something like .75 seconds, so players who run out of bullets and are faced with an enemy at full health, can't tap their grenade button to kill them both. So players can't run around and score these easy kills like they have been for the past year by simply lobbing grenades in everyone's face from two feet away.

[EDIT #2] I guess I didn't make this entirely clear. Before 1.3 (I think it was 1.3) grenades could not be thrown at an obstacle (player) and explode on contact. Now they do. I'm suggesting this be modified so it can't be done literally in someone's face or removed all together back to the way it was. It will open up fighting drastically, and force people to use GUNS and not GRENADES to make their close-medium distance kills.

2. Add a delay time between each grenade that can be thrown.

The other side of this issue is how quickly people can drop three grenades to create a spam fast of grenade explosions. Atleast a one second delay between each grenade thrown. Come on. This is ridiculous.

[EDIT #1]

http://nagather.u13.net/playerstats.php

Here are the recorded stats from the Soldat North American Gather site. If you don't know what this is, it's pretty much like a private match generator that simulates the precedented form of clan wars, with the rules and settings standard to that of the major soldat leagues such as TNL and SCTFL.

The statistics don't lie.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:55:51 pm by Extacide »
~Heroes may come and go, but legends will never die~

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: Grenades - Need to be nerfed
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 07:23:06 pm »
I would agree, but 900th account wont read this anyway.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Dark Jesus

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 09:12:47 pm »
I completely agree this is the best idea that can revolutionize soldat. Lately there have been laggers who fly through grenades but with this profound idea we can bring soldat back to what it used to be. Registering.

Offline MY_FIREMAN_IS_HUGE

• Soldier
  • Fags.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:06:28 pm »
I know, when you throw the nade at people in normal they sometimes don't die, and if they throw theres on you, you die  WTF? f12  [retard]
In Russia, Car drive you.  [AUG] + [DE]

Offline InfS

• Major
    • On Myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:38:58 pm »
The best players in CTF are usually the ones who have a crappy internet connection, and are boosted rather than damaged when faced with massive grenade spam, or having a grenade launched into their face.
QFT, it's always the people with 250+ ms, and most of them get really cocky and don't realize how much the lag actually helps them. I'm going to downgrade to dial up to get more skilled at Soldat!
A lot of cheap tricks, but no real skill.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:43:59 pm »
Nades are the weapon which everyone can use, no matter what primary/secondary you use...
So they are balanced just because everyone has equal access to them.

Offline Extacide

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 11:14:00 pm »
This has nothing to do with lag whatsoever. Forget the lag. Its the fact that nades are easily spammed, overpowered and overused.

Nades are the weapon which everyone can use, no matter what primary/secondary you use...

This has nothing to do with anything. Grenades are over used and spammable.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 11:15:34 pm »
2nd.

Seriously, if a server admin thinks they're an unfair weapon, he / she can just change how many you can carry in their soldat.ini or disable them altogether.

Besides, grenades might as well be the most realistic weapon in the game. One grenade will kill you in real life. So will getting hit with an mp5, minimi, minugun, ak, steyr, deagle, etc, but not in Soldat.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Extacide

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 11:30:52 pm »
Besides, grenades might as well be the most realistic weapon in the game. One grenade will kill you in real life. So will getting hit with an mp5, minimi, minugun, ak, steyr, deagle, etc, but not in Soldat.

1. This game isn't realistic. Don't ever bring that up again.

2. You can't throw a standard frag grenade at someone and have it explode on contact realistically.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:43:16 pm by Extacide »

Offline Bjarne Betjent

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 03:12:34 am »

1. This game isn't realistic. Don't ever bring that up again.

2. You can't throw a standard frag grenade at someone and have it explode on contact realistically.

3. 90% of grenades that hit a player's head usually don't kill them instantly, whereas in the lower torso it is an immediate instant kill. Realistically, a grenade exploding near the head is death.

Argue against urself more?

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 05:39:47 am »
Grenades can only do damage if thrown at the head or sometimes at the torso, its only at the feet then it would definitely kill. Throwing a nade directly at a person is throwing it at their head or torso.

Grenades can be used by EVERYONE, as long as the server activates it. So one person can kill another person just as easily ; it only depends on how you use it. Plus, the self-damage that grenades do can be quite costly if thrown too close, and using it at the wrong time can be fatal.

Throwing your grenades quickly? Well, you aren't really throwing if you throw fast, you're more of dropping the grenades instead, like a plane dropping bombs. If you want to throw further you've got to wait longer, shorter just wait a little less. The consequence of throwing too many nades or nading too quickly is to discover that you are out of grenades and you have to pick up nade kits. Depending on the map, nade kits can be difficult to find. Besides, why would people just drop their nades other than for "bombing"? It is to set up little traps to either slow down opponents or even kill them, and hopefully the grenades being unnoticed and the opponents not realizing you've just dropped a nade.

Grenades are limited. Once you finish throwing your nades, you have lost the advantage of using grenades and you're just gonna be a guy with a gun. The best thing you can do about nades is just to reduce the amount of grenades given from a grenade kit and upon spawn.

When you nade, you cannot reload. You also can't drop a nade when you're backflipping. Also, if you keep shooting with a gun and throw a nade, the aim is slightly inaccurate since the gun will be raised up a bit during the throw animation. And for the minigun's case, you can't throw a grenade when you're shooting.

The weapon testers don't care about the lag when they are balancing the weapons, so the lag issue is out of the picture.

So I'm pretty much against this.

F11.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:43:12 am by STM1993 »

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 12:25:14 pm »
I love nades, everyone has them, they aren't overpowered, they are limited, they take some skill, they are ate very often, the reason they get used so much is they are so versatile on ever person, etc. Typical arguements to an old topic. F11.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Pragma

• Soldier
  • Blood, Guts and Gunsmoke
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 12:52:02 pm »
3. 90% of grenades that hit a player's head usually don't kill them instantly, whereas in the lower torso it is an immediate instant kill. Realistically, a grenade exploding near the head is death.

This has to be my only beef with grenades.  Nade hits are lethal on the feet, but sub-lethal in the head.  Meanwhile M79 hits tend to register the exact opposite way.  None of that makes any sense.

The only exception I can see is where they behave like landmines when they're stepped on once on the ground - the earth can act like a reflector for the blast, increasing the damage inflicted.   This can be generalized to a case where the proximity of a blast to a poly edge should affect the damage it inflicts.  It sounds odd until you think about it - an airborne grenade blast isn't the same as one inside a bunker.

I have no trouble with them exploding on impact in normal mode.  But I wouldn't mind grenades that behaved like mini timebombs for R/S - safe to step on, can be picked up and explode after a fixed interval.  I think that would add a rather neat dimension to that kind of gameplay.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake.  Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 12:52:53 pm »
I agree. Nades need to be registered-only.

I don't agree btw. And it's clear you've never played with 200+ ping otherwise you wouldn't say it's an advantage.

Offline Shutsugeki|Impulse

• Major(1)
  • Omae o utsu!
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 01:08:12 pm »
The nade is really annoying...When I throw it at someone, usually in the head or upper part of body, they don't die, but when I get touched nearly at the same place(not lower part of body which usually gets you killed instantly), I just die...like that...:S
.....lol

Offline Squakingcow

• Major
  • pluck
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 01:36:17 pm »
I'm a fond user of grenades, and by statistics almost 70% of my kills are from grenades.

o rly? "The stats don't lie"

http://nagather.u13.net/playerstats.php?p=78

your stats. and at the time of writing, you had 1209 kills and 149 of those were kills by grenades. that works out at about 13% of your kills being by grenades.

although you could've meant that 70% of your kills were assisted by nades but there is no source for the 70% figures you are using.

Offline Extacide

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 02:44:15 pm »
Im referring to my logs, Pluckpluck, which have more than 100,000 grenades last I checked, and that was a year ago.

Grenades can be used by EVERYONE, as long as the server activates it. So one person can kill another person just as easily ; it only depends on how you use it. Plus, the self-damage that grenades do can be quite costly if thrown too close, and using it at the wrong time can be fatal.

I am referring to the standard 3v3 CTF server setup for the accepted soldat leagues. Not public servers. If you don't play competitively, you can NOT relate.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:47:44 pm by Extacide »

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 02:58:43 pm »
Grenades are really just a tool that can alter the flow of a fight in a pinch, and that's about it. You're not going to be winning a match with 'nades alone; they just help at certain times. It's worth keeping that in mind.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline ElGato

• Camper
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 12:06:18 am »
I don't have an opinion on nades either way as everyone can use them and I'll just adjust to whatever happens to 'em. But after looking at those stats I have decided this should be called Steyr - Needs to be nerfed.
[fist] Black Powa

Offline Extacide

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 09:14:48 pm »
Grenades are really just a tool that can alter the flow of a fight in a pinch, and that's about it. You're not going to be winning a match with 'nades alone; they just help at certain times.

More often then not when a team gets a cap, its because grenades were spammed and it worked in the favor of the friendly flag carrier. The player got a triple kill because 2 of them were instant kills one after another, simply lobbing grenades in their face.

Grenades aren't just helpful.