Author Topic: Plug and play soldat  (Read 1682 times)

Offline chutem

• Veteran
Plug and play soldat
« on: April 18, 2008, 11:58:00 pm »
I would like to know what and where all of the files needed to play soldat are, but not the files that go into the C:/Program Files/Soldat directory.
This is so I can have the main installation on my flash drive and plug it in a computer to play.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
Re: Plug and play soldat
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 12:14:01 am »
You don't need maps, scenery, or textures. delete them all and their entries in \readonly.txt. The sound effects are also unnecessary, and i'm sure the weapon-interface and interface graphics could be changed to 1x1 pixel lime bitmaps. \Manual\ can be deleted, and all the bots can be deleted, although the folder itself probably has to stay.

I'm sure there's a few other things, but I'm not sure as I haven't tested any of this.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 12:19:17 am »
Good thinking, I never thought of doing that, thanks i'll try it later.

[EDIT] At first I thought you were being an arse and being sarcastic :P

[EDIT 2] And now all I need (which I forgot to mention) is for it not to appear in the add or remove programs list
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 12:30:48 am by chutem »

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 01:08:58 am »
You don't need maps, scenery, or textures. delete them all and their entries in \readonly.txt. The sound effects are also unnecessary, and i'm sure the weapon-interface and interface graphics could be changed to 1x1 pixel lime bitmaps. \Manual\ can be deleted, and all the bots can be deleted, although the folder itself probably has to stay.

I'm sure there's a few other things, but I'm not sure as I haven't tested any of this.

Unless he has a tiny flash drive, he really should just copy everything from C:/Soldat into a folder on his flash drive

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 01:19:34 am »
Can you actually play it off of a flash drive?
I mean, I tried to play Phun, a physics simulator which is smaller off of a flash drive and it just crashed.
Lol, internets.

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 02:37:19 am »
Yup, you can play off a flash drive. No slowdown either, unless you have a USB key from the 70's.. and made in the USSR.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 08:56:31 am »
Can you actually play it off of a flash drive?
I mean, I tried to play Phun, a physics simulator which is smaller off of a flash drive and it just crashed.

Smaller in size but much higher demands in processing power.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 03:45:06 pm »
And how do I hide soldat from the add or remove programs list, but still being able to use it, Or just rename the entry to something else?

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 03:03:55 pm »
Put it in an invisible folder.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline adadqgg

• Soldier
  • Yuri for the win ~desu
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 11:19:55 pm »
And how do I hide soldat from the add or remove programs list, but still being able to use it, Or just rename the entry to something else?
re-name the uninstall program and then try to uninstall it from "add and remove software".

Shikabane Hime... Undead girls... Dual-wielding Mac 11s... Epic bayonets... WIN!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 11:25:15 pm »

Copy the C:\Soldat folder to your flash drive. Then run the Soldat uninstaller, from the original folder at C:\Soldat or from the Soldat folder in the start menu, not from the copied Soldat folder on your flash drive.

The Soldat program entry on your computer will be gone but you will now have your Soldat on your flash drive, where you can run it by simply opening the Soldat.exe
There are other worlds than these

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 08:11:04 pm »
Thanks guys, especally adadqgg, nice way to hide it.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 04:50:57 am »
Playing soldat at work/school eh?  I gotta try this...

Player since late 2007

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 05:05:50 am »
You can literally copy and paste the "soldat" folder onto your flash drive and play it from there. It never appears in Programs because it wasn't installed. I do it all the time because all "unneeded" files are deleted on our school accounts.