Author Topic: Official Trailer contest (with prizes)  (Read 39481 times)

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Official Trailer contest (with prizes)
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:22:09 pm »
-- edit --
The current deadline is July 20th

-- edit --
Read this whole post, not just the quote
Read EVERY post in this thread before starting your trailier or asking a question

I am now going to ignore every question that I've already answered in this thread.
--

Lets make this into a contest.  It will need to be rather long one so people have time to polish their videos and edit them and such. 

I would hope that the entries are at least as good as these two videos:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7oNrXTDkc&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9cctyg-4zNk

The prize would be 2 shirts from the newly-opened store (International shipping would be OK, I'd just have to figure it out), or 2 Soldat licenses, or possibly other prizes.  I don't know yet if there would be a 2nd and 3rd place prize, that probably depends on how many entries and how broke I am/how many people want to donate to the prizes (e-mail me at ryan@u13.net if you want to contribute to better/more prizes).

I don't have a date for the end yet, but I will decide one later and post it in a new thread.  Here are the rules that I'm thinking of:
- The winner(s) will be decided by popular vote
- The entry must be between 30 seconds and three minutes long.  If you can blow our pants off with 30 seconds, go for it.  If you need to make a longer trailer to make it kick ass, up to 3 minutes is there for you.
- The entry must be submitted in full-quality to me, I will then post it for judgement in an appropriate format.  Do not post your entries directly on the forums when you are actually submitting your entry to the contest.
- You may submit modifications to me at any time before the beginning of the final vote
- e-mail or PM me to arrange giving me your submission, most likely via FTP.
- When it comes time for the vote, the clips will be posted on Youtube (but I want to have a higher-quality version for future use if yours is selected)
- When you submit your final submission, you acknowledge that it may be used/re-used elsewhere (with proper crediting). 
- Do not add any "by soandso" things at the beginning or end of your clips.  If your video wins, it will be discussed afterwards what form(s) of attribution you feel would be appropriate.  This and the above rule can be discussed otherwise, I'm just interested in preventing videos from being marked up with stuff, because using that as a trailer with "I MADE THIS" tags all over it would look... odd.  These two rules are flexible and should be taken as guidelines for discussion.  I'm not looking to have Soldat steal anyone's work or anything, I promise.
- Do not use any formatting/editing programs that add watermarks or tags to any part of your video.  If you are having problems compressing or transcoding your video, talk to me and I can look into doing this for you given the original (but edited) video.

I'm incredibly anxious to see how this turns out.  I will make a new thread about this shortly but wanted to hash out the idea here first.  Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

I have yet to pass this by MM, but even if he doesn't want it being an official contest for an official trailer, I will still run it and give out prizes.  I'm almost certain MM will love the idea.

I'll start thinking about when the end of the contest will be.  It will be at June 1st or later.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 12:50:22 am by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
Re: Trailer contest (with prizes)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 12:07:49 am »
More than one entry allowed? (not modifications.  completely different work.)

Also.. Music that doesn't belong to us? If it's going to be a trailer will there by LEGALITY ISSUES!?!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 12:11:33 am by BondJamesBond »
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 12:37:39 am »
One entry per person

As for music, unfortunately I need to say that it needs to be music you made or fair-use music (take a look at the music on www.archive.org.  There is a LOT of it across many different genres.  Almost all of it can be used for free, legally.  There are some big-name bands you will find on there.)

Thanks for asking about that BJB, that is a very good point and I'm glad it came up.

Offline BRADEN

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 12:53:39 am »
I'm gonna try this one out. The challenge for making a kickass video everyone will like is hard, but the prices are more than kickass.

Death is the solution to all problems. No man; no problem.
-Joseph Stalin

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 02:31:51 am »
Good luck to everyone out there then.  I have no experience with movie/motion picture editing and I don't think it's that easy.  So don't expect anything from me.  Once again I hope someone pulls through with a creative solution.  ;)

Player since late 2007

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 02:35:45 am »
Decided to post this bit here too:

On a side note: I was cleaning my HDD a few days ago and burned some cds. I burned some Soldat movies on one including The Blade and Ruthless. Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how the videos looked on my TV, since I have a chinatown region-free dvd player that plays.. well everything. Well, even though the image was of course lower resolution than the actual video file, it looked amazing. It was very clean and smooth. It looked awesome on my tv. So I was thinking, if soldat can look that good on a regular TV screen, why not put the trailer on TV. It's not far-fetched. Soldat has been on TV before, but to my knowledge wasn't done much justice. I think only in Germany it got decent coverage. If the final chosen submission is of good enough quality and shows the required subject matter, it would be a good idea to try and get a spot for it on a video game show on G4TV or Space Channel (cheap Sci-fi Channel knockoff) and Sci-fi Channel, since it's mentioned. I'd donate toward the cost of putting a trailer on TV, even if it is shown once on a show (and reruns).

On a further related side note.. this could be a project for another day. bja888 got me thinking also of putting together a dvd .iso of all the greatest Soldat movies made. You could download the iso, burn it and then enjoy with friends on your big 52 inch screen in the living room.

Back on topic. I agree with Psycho on the checklist  (suggestion in old topic - about things that the trailer should cover eg. online multiplayer, game modes, /piss command, etc.).

As for music. If I make a submission, I have a local band in mind. :)
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 02:42:49 am »
TV????? I don't think so.... That I think would bring in wayyy too many unwanted people.  Apart from the fact that we could all be on tv I don't exactly like the idea.  I think it's MM's call

Player since late 2007

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 05:31:26 am »
Is there some standard text that should be in the clip for sure? Like "soldat by MM"
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 06:26:24 am »
I want some creds a t-shirt for the idea ;D jk
I won't be making an attempt on this myself, but Im exited to see what you guys can do with this.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:48:47 am by Psycho »

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline Xaero

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 06:49:31 am »
Great idea!! It's a pity i can't edit movies that well, but I might give it a try.
Let's see what people can do with this :D

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 06:53:20 am »
I think it sound run for at least a month.

Offline Dodger

• Major(1)
  • vX][Admin and Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 10:34:48 am »
(my.Spacebar.dont.work.so.bear.with.it...)

i.aggree.with.some.others.that.say.that.this.trai ler.would.be.better.to.make.in.1.5as.the.gif.scen ery,new.maps.and.several.other.features.appear...
it.would.make.the.game.look.much.better.and.so.ma ke.more.people.want.to.atleast.try.it...
as.for.the.publishment,what.about.a.GT.review.or.something?.or.do.they.only.do.games.that.come.in.boxes?...

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 11:15:00 am »
Is there some standard text that should be in the clip for sure? Like "soldat by MM"

Whatever you think should be there.  Feel free to post what you're working on in the Fan Art/Movies section as you're working on it to get feedback from others and such.  I highly encourage that, as it'll allow you to get new ideas from the comments people make about yours, as well as let others participating in the contest get ideas from your video (which is a good thing!  It will help raise the bar for the entire contest)

TV????? I don't think so.... That I think would bring in wayyy too many unwanted people.  Apart from the fact that we could all be on tv I don't exactly like the idea.  I think it's MM's call

There is no such thing as "unwanted people."  Everyone eventually adapts and the game will be better off, regardless of whether the people come from TV, some website(s), or somewhere else.

Offline BRADEN

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 11:43:45 am »
Here is v1.0 of my entry. Pretty raw and basic, expect better versions later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTcdSuQedTo

-Joseph Stalin

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 11:46:31 am »
Here is v1.0 of my entry. Pretty raw and basic, expect better versions later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTcdSuQedTo

The entry must be submitted in full-quality to me, I will then post it for judgement in an appropriate format.  Do not post your entries directly on the forums when you are actually submitting your entry to the contest.

Smart people.
@ii

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 11:51:05 am »
BRADEN, if you are looking for feedback on it, please post in the Fan Art/Movies section of the forums.  This thread is for discussion about the contest itself, not entries.

To submit final entries (which you shouldn't be doing for quite a while) e-mail me at ryan@u13.net and we'll set up a way for you to get me the full-quality video via ftp or some other means.

Offline BRADEN

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 11:53:24 am »
Sorry, it's not my final entry and not the full quality. I'll submit it in that forum.

-Joseph Stalin

Offline y0da

• Soldier
  • :: Chaos Hunters ::
    • [cH] Soldat Clan
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 03:31:06 pm »
May it be as well a clan movie like the example? May it be longer than 3 minutes?

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 05:21:57 pm »
A clan movie wouldn't be a good idea. You are trying to express to the audience the broader picture of Soldat.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

woo

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 05:45:06 pm »
May it be longer than 3 minutes?

Oh master, read the first post you must.