Author Topic: Gamepad Compatible  (Read 2441 times)

Offline thatperson1

• Major(1)
  • Applesauce. Yeah, that's right, I said it.
    • Kongregate
Gamepad Compatible
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:04:45 pm »
just a simple idea from a forum newbie, but i would think the game would be great if it were gamepad compatible, ie, an xbox 360 controller. u know, like in the button configuration screen ingame, click "fire" and press the right trigger on the controller. i think it would be really cool to play it kind of like a 2D version of Halo  ;)
ps. this is the first time i have EVER used a forum on ANY website, so if you think it sucks or you dont like my idea, meh and go die   ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 10:07:23 pm by thatperson1 »
Whenever I smile, a little kitten somewhere in New Jersey dies.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: Gamepad Compatible
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:07:19 pm »
Why? There is nothing better than keyboard and mouse.

Besides, don't compare soldat to that piece of shit halo.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline thatperson1

• Major(1)
    • Kongregate
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 10:08:54 pm »
well, just in case ne1 wants 2 use 1, like me

Date Posted: April 18, 2008, 11:07:56 pm
and Halo doesnt suck, i think the third 1 sucks because its 2 easy (first 1 rules ;D)

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 10:14:04 pm »
leik zomfg halo iz awezom3.

Seriously... no. Soldat doen't need to be a step closer to Console play.

F11.
Just another soul to burn.

Offline Mastadi

• Camper
  • What makes me a good demoman!?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 10:16:18 pm »
Hey, let's make soldat for nintendo DS... (J/k, but you have to agree it would be cool :D). Player using a mouse would have a HUGE advantage over a player using a gamepad. So no.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 05:45:36 pm by Mastadi »

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 10:21:02 pm »
Player using a mouse would have a HUGE disatvantage over a player using a gamepad. So no.
Ummm, ooookaaaaay, I don't see how it would be a disadvantag using a mouse over a gamepad, I think you got mixed up..., unless you are one of those people who is more used to joysticks than a mouse, personally, I suck with gamepads.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline thatperson1

• Major(1)
    • Kongregate
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 10:21:27 pm »
well, it wouldnt b a HUGE disadvantage because, well, if you can even do easy on Halo somewhat ok, you would rule on Soldat. maybe not against other players, but i was thinking more along the lines of against computers, u know, just because. i mean its not a HUGE update im asking for, i think it would just be nice to have a little extra thing that the lucky ppl who have an xbox360 (which i dont have  :'() could have.

Offline Mastadi

• Camper
  • What makes me a good demoman!?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 05:47:47 pm »
Yes chutem, I got it mixed up @_@ Shouldn't make posts so late at night...

It would be hude disadvantage for gamepad, since they couldn't move the pointer so quickly and precisely. It's actually easier to play FPS games on gamepad than it would be to play soldat.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 06:24:10 pm »
If you get a proper gamepad, it comes with software that lets you map the gamepad's controls to keyboard or mouse actions.  They let you do things like create a profile for each game that allows you to switch the mappings easily when you want to use it.

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 12:21:07 am »
I did that out of curiosity with a Madcatz usb controller I had. I used some generic usb controller software (I found on sourceforge) that could map my right analog to mouse. It will never beat keyboard and mouse or any interface that acts the same as keyboard and mouse. It was almost as crappy as aiming with your thumb in Halo. I have Halo 3 and I can barely play it. Who the hell aims with their thumb? God! I hated it even back before I played FPS on PC and played Goldeneye on N64. I could never nail Orumov (or however you spell his name) in the silo, before he got on the train.

On the other hand, using the d-pad with my left thumb worked well for w,a,s,d. But... not well enough that I'd hold a controller in one hand and mouse in the other. I like Soldat the way it is.

Anyway, like FLAB said, if you want to play with a controller, just look up USB joystick mapping software - google. You'll find what you need. I think I used something called "Joypad 3" but, my memory is vague.
Still, take it from me - a controller my feel better in your hands and you can sit back, but seriously, you won't be able to aim fast enough in intense multiplayer- unless you have superman's thumb.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 05:22:22 am »
F11: Would give some people unfair advantages over others.

Offline thatperson1

• Major(1)
    • Kongregate
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 07:56:28 am »
i htink moving with the left thumbstick would be hard, because, for one, how would that work. and also, may not even work because its hardly like the dpad at all. frankly, the key ingredient is practice... and the right controller mapping program...

Offline Kerrazyeye

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 09:56:36 am »
Mouse + Keyboard Emulator
http://www.redcl0ud.com/controlmk/index.html

It is really hard to control the player, and its nearly impossible to perform any jumps, so its harder to cross terrain and whatnot. Soldat is made for the mouse + keyboard.

Offline thatperson1

• Major(1)
    • Kongregate
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 03:48:01 pm »
i would just like to say that that program did NOT help at all. its a 360 controller that IM talking about, not a normal one....
yeah

Offline Kerrazyeye

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 06:15:21 pm »
i would just like to say that that program did NOT help at all. its a 360 controller that IM talking about, not a normal one....
yeah
Then mod yourself a xbox controller. Its easy as pie. I made myself a wireless xbox controller for my PC in like.. 5-10 minutes. Works great.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 01:28:09 am »
Soldat on a console would have the same problems that RTS's have had for years. Cursor control. It just sucks when it comes to the average console controller, because usually your speed is constant, whereas a mouse is variable, which allows for smoother and better control.

Even if this was implemented, I would never do it, as I see doing so would create a huge disadvantage with your aim.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 01:46:13 am »
Get a controller that uses the analog-stick to control the mousepointer and then you should be set.

OBEY!!!

Offline kerr_halo

• Major(1)
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 07:07:18 pm »
it doesnt work well with a gamepage i know in haveone that can. it was made for keyboard and mouse and whoever said halo sucks can meet me on guardian