Author Topic: Aweseome, just freakin' awesome...  (Read 14301 times)

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
Aweseome, just freakin' awesome...
« on: May 02, 2008, 10:40:57 pm »
Wow... I just wasted $14 that could have been spent much better elsewhere. I just registered my game, and I want my damn money back. Oh boy, now I can pick a higher resolution, but I can't fricken play in anything higher than 640 by 480 without getting access violation BS errors, and it happens in EVERY resolution. I can't pick a different interface either due to the same damn error. The MP3 function is useless since I can just have winamp playing in the background... So basically, I just paid 14 dollars TO CHANGE THE COLOR OF MY FLAMES... HOORAY!!!

Has anybody else run into this problem? I read somewhere that if you're getting these errors, you should try re-installing soldat, which I already did. Before reinstalling, I could at least play in a different resolution for maybe 10-20 seconds before the access violation would occur. Now as soon as I hit "join game" or "start game," I get the error... So obviously that's not the solution. Any other suggestions? If not, I want my money back, or I'm gonna be severely pissed. The main reason I registered is so I could have higher resolution, and it doesn't even friggin' work.

Offline M.rSnow

• Camper
Re: Aweseome, just freakin' awesome...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 11:35:49 am »
You deleted the folder before reinstalling? That migth be your problem. Or theres alot of people who got they'r problems fixed in the "Need Help? Report Bugs!" forum.
Lapis: You need a vacation or a bullet though the head both works just fine by me.

Offline amb2010

• Camper
  • Fear the dot ...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 05:08:11 pm »
You didn't have to make a new topic here a mod would have eventually came by and moved it. But like in the other topic not much to do besides trying to find a way to solve it. Make sure you haven't given the key you got to anyone and that you have no hacks running when you try to play or that things like x-fire and fraps aren't running. Maybe telling us the error might help, chances are its an access violation but use the search function a little too...
And as the lyrics go in the United State's national anthem: "America, f**k YEAH!".

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 10:10:18 pm »
I already said, it's the access violation error. I read somewhere that i should try uninstalling and deleting the soldat folder, so that's what I tried. Regardless, registering ruined the game. now I can't play at all, and I've tried everything I can think of. Video compatibility, compatibility mode, going back to the same resolution i used before registering, changing flame color back to yellow, messing with font.ini... everything. the only other thing I can do is unregister, but then I paid for nothing, although at this point nothing is better...

Offline ViN

• Camper
  • Try, Fail, Repeat.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 04:12:21 am »
Run soldat.exe in Windows98 mode.

Geekier than you!

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:06:01 pm »
Uh... Did you not read my post? I already tried compatibility mode.

I already said, it's the access violation error. I read somewhere that i should try uninstalling and deleting the soldat folder, so that's what I tried. Regardless, registering ruined the game. now I can't play at all, and I've tried everything I can think of. Video compatibility, compatibility mode, going back to the same resolution i used before registering, changing flame color back to yellow, messing with font.ini... everything. the only other thing I can do is unregister, but then I paid for nothing, although at this point nothing is better...

I sent an e-mail to MM, still waiting for a response. I think there's a chance it may also be due to a combination of my mod and registering. Apparently registering makes the game not like my mod, because after I reinstalled soldat, I tested it for a few minutes to make sure it works before I make any changes that may have screwed it up. Then i proceeded to install my mod. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I did also recall testing with the mod before this, and it worked for a few minutes the first time before it crashed. I'm leaving it the way it is until I get a response...

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 12:43:47 am »
So you're saying that, it only crashes if the mod is installed with a registered Soldat folder?

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 01:17:59 am »
I don't really know, because every time I test with a registered soldat, it works for a few minutes before crashing. But then after that first few minutes, it'll crash randomly, and in some modes it will crash as soon as I start the game. I got a response from MM with a new registration key, and I had the same result. I didn't test non-modded soldat though this time. I don't feel like uninstalling yet again. And regardless, I want to play with my mod. That's the whole point in making it. I'd rather play unregistered with my mod than play registered without it. I don't understand why my mod would crash it anyway. It's just a gostek and weapons mod. The only explanation I can think of, if it does make a difference whether or not it's modded, is that somehow my game thinks I'm trying to cheat because some of the weapons graphics files have been enlarged to fit bigger guns and increase contrast in sizes among them. Other than that, I have no idea.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 08:25:45 am »
maybe slow computer, try to put all the settings to the lowest.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 02:39:35 pm »
If the weapons don't exceed 64x64 and the individual gostek files 16x16 [which I doubt] there shouldn't be any issues, so I doubt it's the mod that's causing the problem. If you're really that angry and want it fixed then maybe you should backup your files and do a system restore or reinstall Windows and go from there.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 01:25:13 am »
Dude, it has nothing to do with windows if it works fine before the registration and after unregistering. It's not a slow machine. Even if it was, I never changed the settings. I kept them on the ones that worked all the time. And the lowest resolution, which is the only one I could have played on, doesn't work either. I know how to use a computer; I've tried everything that it could possibly be. It's not hardware, or it would never have worked in the first place, and it's not Windows, for the very same reason... I didn't just start trying to play on computer that's old as hell but new to me. And I wasn't using wine or something else before and now decided to use windows suddenly. The only change I've made is registering Soldat. Before the registration, everything is fine. While registered, it's not. After unregistering, it's fine again. Nothing else is changed.

Wow, 64x64 is a lot bigger than I realized... and they can actually get that big? holy shit. No, the mod is definitely not to blame then... 

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 08:45:49 am »
windows can feck up anything, if you have the time, I'd suggest you to reinstall windows. if it's older than 6th months, it is mostlikly your windows(as windows is handleing the regestry)

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 05:07:05 pm »
... Stop telling me that windows is the problem. It's not. If something was wrong with my windows, it wouldn't be working in the first place... Are you not familiar with the scientific method? Allow me to explain it to you. It is not simply blaming the problem on something based on nothing. It is a system of trial and error, changing 1 thing at a time and then putting everything back and changing another variable until you arrive at your conclusion... That's what I've done. I've tried leaving it registered and changing everything, one option at a time to cover any possible overlooked reasons. Then I unregistered, and it worked! works before registration? check. Works while registered? Nope. Works after unregistering? check. Hmmmmmmm... "it's a mystery. Hey, I know! Let's blame it on Bill Gates and his "evil" operating system, even though windows was used the entire time! BRILLIANT!!" Awesome troubleshooting, Major. I saw you said something along the lines of "don't use a computer if you don't know how to" in the other thread... Just so you know, I'm an MCP. I have years of experience with Windows XP, and I have a certification that says I know XP. So stop assuming things. And enough with the Windows bashing. Yes, I have plenty of time to reinstall Windows, but that's not the point. I don't feel like having to reload all my files and settings. And there's nothing wrong with my Windows anyway, so I'm not going to try it. If anything, I'll try using a spare hard drive in my desktop and install everything the same on a fresh windows installation. And we'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:11:38 pm by Magus86 »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 05:22:26 pm »
You obviously don't know how computers work. Think of your computer like an Alzheimer's patient. He's alive, but part of him is crapped. He can remember a little bit [this is like Soldat starting up], but mostly he still forgets [Soldat crashes]. So, you might be missing a non-essential file that's only essential when you start playing Soldat...

Oh well, it could be something like your registry interfering with some process [I'm no expert on that at all]. You need to give us a clearer picture of what you did post-reg [as in settings changed..?] instead of screaming obscenities at us.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:26:31 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 07:22:18 pm »
Paragraphs help. 

Have you tried sifting through the numerous topics about "access violation" problems on these forums?  Could be an issue with your soldat.ini file.  I know you mentioned seeing tips on reinstalling, but I'm wondering if the problem is due to a lack of certain files or a change of that .ini file.  Just brainstorming.

Also, acting sarcastic won't produce responses any faster. 
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 07:45:33 pm »
But it will weed out the clueless ones.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 08:15:48 pm »
I think you missed the point of registering. You're giving MM your support. You should be lucky to even have that star next to your name in the F1 list.

Sure, this post can be flamed for not being supportive. But it's the truth.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 08:53:47 pm »
Hey look, here comes another clueless one... Mistercharles, how the hell can I have a star next to my name when the fecking game crashes after I register? And besides, Why should I be lucky to be able to pay somebody money? Because that, copying some text, and then pasting that text is all that needs to be done to get the star there. Anybody can do that...

Um... settings changes? Let's see... I changed the resolution, and that was when I first started experiencing a problem. After that, I changed it back to the default resolution you get with unregistered soldat. Then I tried using video compatibility, disabling bullet trails, disabling weather effects, putting max particles as low as it goes, compatibility mode for both windows 95 and windows 98/me(all that does is screw up the text), EVERYTHING. Reinstalling soldat makes no difference whatsoever.

Espadon, if it was a file needed for soldat, unless Registering DELETES that file, that's not the problem. The problem would still exist, registered or not, if I'm missing a file essential to the game. Because I know I did not go out and search for essential soldat files, download it after unregistering, then register and delete it again.

Okay... how would it be something wrong with soldat.ini? That's a file that should only exist on my computer once soldat has been installed, correct? And does it go away when uninstalling? what about when reinstalling? It should be deleted and then rewritten from the installation file. That's usually how games work. So... if it was soldat.ini, it shouldn't work when the game is unregistered either, unless registering messes with it, and it gets changed back upon deleting the key. Also, if expecting soldat to act like most other games, reinstalling should solve that problem, but it doesn't. And yes, I have looked thru the access violation error pages. I mostly see people being told to reinstall Soldat or Windows, change some options, or to stop using hacks. I'm not using any hacks, and I've tried every suggestion I've seen. Yet, the only thing that fixes the game is unregistering. And I haven't modified my soldat.ini file...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:56:10 pm by Magus86 »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 08:59:27 pm »
Perhaps this has been asked before, but were you running any other programs [including in the background] while Soldat was crashing?
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 09:02:28 pm »
At first, I had AIM open, but then I saw a suggestion somewhere to have nothing else running and turned it off, to no avail. The only programs running should be AVG anti virus, and AVG anti spyware.